Should I write Midgley's biography?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Should I write Midgley's biography?

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch's recent thread has inspired me to share my thoughts with you. To wit, I've been wanting to scratch (no pun intended) my burgeoning writer's itch for quite some time now, but all I've lacked is a subject about which I feel passionate enough to devote the proper time and energy. Recently, however, I've felt that I have my calling: A straightforward, balanced, full-length biography of our favorite (fill-in-the-blank), Louis C. Midgley, an individual who has fascinated me for some time now.

I've already done some basic Internet scouring of Louis C. Midgley facts and figures and will soon be dedicating most or all of my free time catching up on any available academic papers he's written. I won't be able to interview any of his friends and family members until after he passes, though, because it will be imperative that I get the real, actual, unvarnished truth, whatever it may be.

The problem with this project is obvious: Among those who have even heard of Louis C. Midgley, who would want to read about him? Moreover, who would want to actually pay money for a biography about him? Therefore, my chances of making any money from this project are pretty much nil, which of course means that my chances of finding a publisher are also just above nil. Should I spend the time, money, and dedication for what amounts to a labor of love only? Or should I dedicate all that to some other subject, one with a real potential to turn a profit?

Please let me know if writing Midgley's biography will be worthwhile or if I should drop the idea like a hot potato, much as it would pain me to do so.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Re: Should I write Midgley's biography?

Post by Moksha »

You write well and you would be diligent enough to make sure his name is spelled correctly. An unvarnished and true account of Dr. Midgley is sure to interest some readers, from the ranks of students of Mormonism, the general public, and aspiring pugilists.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 am
Doctor Scratch's recent thread has inspired me to share my thoughts with you. To wit, I've been wanting to scratch (no pun intended) my burgeoning writer's itch for quite some time now, but all I've lacked is a subject about which I feel passionate enough to devote the proper time and energy. Recently, however, I've felt that I have my calling: A straightforward, balanced, full-length biography of our favorite (fill-in-the-blank), Louis C. Midgley, an individual who has fascinated me for some time now.

I've already done some basic Internet scouring of Louis C. Midgley facts and figures and will soon be dedicating most or all of my free time catching up on any available academic papers he's written. I won't be able to interview any of his friends and family members until after he passes, though, because it will be imperative that I get the real, actual, unvarnished truth, whatever it may be.

The problem with this project is obvious: Among those who have even heard of Louis C. Midgley, who would want to read about him? Moreover, who would want to actually pay money for a biography about him? Therefore, my chances of making any money from this project are pretty much nil, which of course means that my chances of finding a publisher are also just above nil. Should I spend the time, money, and dedication for what amounts to a labor of love only? Or should I dedicate all that to some other subject, one with a real potential to turn a profit?

Please let me know if writing Midgley's biography will be worthwhile or if I should drop the idea like a hot potato, much as it would pain me to do so.
I say go for it! More needs to be done to document Mopologetic history!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 am
Recently, however, I've felt that I have my calling: A straightforward, balanced, full-length biography of our favorite (fill-in-the-blank), Louis C. Midgley, an individual who has fascinated me for some time now.
Should I spend the time, money, and dedication for what amounts to a labor of love only? Or should I dedicate all that to some other subject, one with a real potential to turn a profit?

You present it in a way that says it's the first subject you've thought of that sparks a fire for you. If the completion of a biography would fulfill your need to create and you believe the passion project would be worth it just for your own satisfaction, you probably have your answer. And if you question that, you probably have your answer.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

You should read the comments on DanP's blog for his reactions to critics, his obsession with Gina Colvin and her association with the Anglican church in NZ. He has a lot to say about Australian LDS Majorie Newton.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... us-lunacy/
Last edited by hauslern on Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

If you started now you could actually get some ideas from the horse's ass mouth himself. I would certainly read it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

hauslern wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:24 pm
You should read the comments on DanP's blog for his reactions to critics, his obsession with Gina Colvin and her association with the Anglican church in NZ. He has a lot to say about Australian LDS Majorie Newton.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... us-lunacy/
My man. We’re well aware of his comments and behaviors. We’ve had entire threads solely dedicated to his asshattery.

Shades,

Just post chapters here, and link to them if you’re posting elsewhere. This is a passion project, not really a money-making venture. You could link to a Patreon book thing where, I think, people could donate or whatever. You got one life, friend, and if this is where your energy and inspiration lies then I say go for it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

My personal view is that Midgley's life and behaviour doesn't deserve anyones investment of time and energy in writing about it.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

As others have stated, if you're feeling passionate then you absolutely should pursue it. I'd say you can figure out details about how, when, where to publish and offer your writing up along the way. Self publishing is significantly cheaper now than it has ever been.

But what is important to start with is engaging in something that gives your purpose, the nitty-gritty will come.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Absolutely, Dr. Shades. This sounds like a project that holds a great deal of promise.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14