Should I write Midgley's biography?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Should I write Midgley's biography?

Post by Philo Sofee »

After you are done with the Midgley biography, I would suggest one on Binger... ;)
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 pm
After you are done with the Midgley biography, I would suggest one on Binger... ;)
I was going to buy you a New York strip or a filet when we met up. But now that you proposed this, I am going to buy you a Porterhouse steak which has the strip and the filet.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 am
Please let me know if writing Midgley's biography will be worthwhile or if I should drop the idea like a hot potato, much as it would pain me to do so.
Dr. Shades,

I think you owe it to humanity.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus, quoting Midgley wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:23 pm
I have recently received three Google Alerts that send me to a despicable message board, whose owner represents himself as Dr. Shades. Virtually every item that mentions me is false in most every possible way.

I don’t want to mix my LDS apologists up; is this the fellow who has spent the better part of his days telling the indigenous folks of New Zealand that they’re descended of supposed Nephites from America?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 am
Marcus, quoting Midgley wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:23 pm

I don’t want to mix my LDS apologists up; is this the fellow who has spent the better part of his days telling the indigenous folks of New Zealand that they’re descended of supposed Nephites from America?
I think so. In any case, he has also announced that the lds church has vol 3 of their Saints book series wrong, as it relates to Maori history, because a (female) historian was consulted with whom he he disagrees. Even though the leaders have made it clear every detail is reviewed with the first presidency. :roll:

Midgley is confident that there will shortly be a revision and a republished version that he can agree with. If I recall correctly, he said he had some insider knowledge from one of the Brethren that this would happen.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

i bet Midgley fancies himself the Mike Ehrmantraut of Mormonism. in reality, more like Lucius Malfoy.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:10 am
i bet Midgley fancies himself the Mike Ehrmantraut of Mormonism. in reality, more like Lucius Malfoy.
More like Salacious B. Crumb.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:04 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 pm
I was going to buy you a New York strip or a filet when we met up. But now that you proposed this, I am going to buy you a Porterhouse steak which has the strip and the filet.
Mahhhhhvelous!!!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:55 am
canpakes wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 am
I think so. In any case, he has also announced that the lds church has vol 3 of their Saints book series wrong, as it relates to Maori history, because a (female) historian was consulted with whom he he disagrees. Even though the leaders have made it clear every detail is reviewed with the first presidency. :roll:

Midgley is confident that there will shortly be a revision and a republished version that he can agree with. If I recall correctly, he said he had some insider knowledge from one of the Brethren that this would happen.
Ah. Is this his complaint about Marjorie Newton, and her own comments about how the LDS Church has historically preferred to present Māori history?

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... appraisal/

Midgley’s two main beefs seem to be that (1) Newton doesn’t enthusiastically enough promote the sensationalized ‘prophesy’ of (primarily) a particular tribal member, and (2) that she incorrectly identifies Hagoth and crew as Lamanites more times than she does as Nephites. This leads to Midgley being aghast that Newton presumably then characterizes Māori as (gasp!) descendants of Lamanites, instead of being descendants of Nephites. As if Newton’s error expressed while voicing some skepticism in the fable is somehow more egregious than Midgley’s own insistence that Māori are the children of Nephites, thereby choosing to trash their entire history in order to more comfortably embrace his own faith.

Or, as Midgley ironically quotes Eric Sharpe at the conclusion of his rant:

“… There is no easier way to bear false witness than to misrepresent those who are no longer able to defend themselves, merely in order to comfort the true believers”

I don’t think that the Church will spend too much time and effort committing to ‘correcting the record’ through an explicit statement about the Māori being descendants of Nephites instead of Lamanites. If anything, the Church seems much more likely to not wade into that argument at all. If there’s any victory to be won by Midgley in his battle with Newton, it will likely be one of a trivial rewording, and probably long after he has shuffled off this mortal coil.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:19 am
Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:04 am

Mahhhhhvelous!!!
My biography has already been written.