My Joseph Smith & Entheogens Podcasts Now available

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

My Joseph Smith & Entheogens Podcasts Now available

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://backyardprofessor.org/

I have recently updated all my podcasts, which updates include the 5 part series of the Entheogenic use by Joseph Smith and the early Mormons in their fantastic visions. Easy listening is now available for you while working in the yard, driving to work, relaxing, etc. Enjoy!
Shulem
God

Re: My Joseph Smith & Entheogens Podcasts Now available

Post by Shulem »

I for one enjoyed your 5-part podcast very much and will be listening to them again, soon enough. As you know, I have devoted a thread up in the Celestial forum in showcasing your work:

Joseph Smith & Entheogens by The Backyard Professor

I think later on after some matter of discussion is generated and points of view are expressed it would be fruitful if another podcast was added to the collection. I think this subject can be explored and certain things better understood from different angles. And leave it to Shulem to bring up the unexpected! Yeah baby! Shulem has a big mouth!!

:lol:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

My immediate reaction was of complete skepticism. The experience seems too different from the reported experiences in early Mormonism. I read some of the material on the subject posted in Celestial. I do not know if it was any particular that caused it but I found myself questioning my first skepticism. It is possible a strong leader who people trusted could control the experience of others by controlling surroundings, expectations and direct leading of peoples thought and awareness. I am unsure how well a person with skill in directing people could do this but there may be a possibility. I see a maybe what if sort of possibility. Perhaps Joseph Smiths ability to lead peoples expectations and imagination and peoples large trust in him could work with a mushroom assist.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 pm
My immediate reaction was of complete skepticism. The experience seems too different from the reported experiences in early Mormonism. I read some of the material on the subject posted in Celestial.

There are combined testimonies given by members who attended those events and had visions and were visited by angelic like beings. How do you explain that away? Well, actually, it's impossible to explain everything away but simply find ways to deal with it and make sense of it all. The drugs seem real obvious to me because they were up all night. That's acid man. Period. Plain and simple. No ifs or buts about it.

Look, when I was on my mission in England my companion and I were woken up and visited by two shining angels in the middle of the night. It was an amazing experience. We were in bunk beds and he had the top and I the bottom. I didn't even have to really open my physical eyes because I could see everything as it was and the whole room was lit up as bright as day. The feeling was sweet as honey and I saw the angels with my spiritual eyes but not in detail. My companion and I talked about it the next day while tracting. He actually sat up and saw them with his real eyes and explained certain details. Hey, the beings are who they are and such beings I believe visit people all over the earth regardless of religion. We are being tracked and monitored by higher intelligences who know us and love us. That is my opinion mind you.

But anyway, the Kirtland acid experiences were drug related. That's not to say they didn't have any experiences while sober but I think Joseph Smith was a real acid head. He liked his drugs from an early age starting with his First Vision in trying to know God.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:40 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 pm
My immediate reaction was of complete skepticism. The experience seems too different from the reported experiences in early Mormonism. I read some of the material on the subject posted in Celestial.

There are combined testimonies given by members who attended those events and had visions and were visited by angelic like beings. How do you explain that away? Well, actually, it's impossible to explain everything away but simply find ways to deal with it and make sense of it all. The drugs seem real obvious to me because they were up all night. That's acid man. Period. Plain and simple. No ifs or buts about it.

Look, when I was on my mission in England my companion and I were woken up and visited by two shining angels in the middle of the night. It was an amazing experience. We were in bunk beds and he had the top and I the bottom. I didn't even have to really open my physical eyes because I could see everything as it was and the whole room was lit up as bright as day. The feeling was sweet as honey and I saw the angels with my spiritual eyes but not in detail. My companion and I talked about it the next day while tracting. He actually sat up and saw them with his real eyes and explained certain details. Hey, the beings are who they are and such beings I believe visit people all over the earth regardless of religion. We are being tracked and monitored by higher intelligences who know us and love us. That is my opinion mind you.

But anyway, the Kirtland acid experiences were drug related. That's not to say they didn't have any experiences while sober but I think Joseph Smith was a real acid head. He liked his drugs from an early age starting with his First Vision in trying to know God.
Shulem, you mentioned in Celestial that people might have inappropriate negative associations with the word acid. I am not sure what associations would be less positive than with a name like magic mushroom. I feel uncomfortable with your use of the term acid as there was no acid in the 19th century. It is a 20th century invention. I do understand your general meaning.

You post is actually quite puzzling. Did you and your companion both drop acid and together see an angel? On the other hand are you observing that people dream things, imagine things or have group experiences, see angels without chemical assistance?

I have had imaginary experiences without any chemicals.(near sleep type dream ) Peoples imagination can do that.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:57 pm
Shulem, you mentioned in Celestial that people might have inappropriate negative associations with the word acid. I am not sure what associations would be less positive than with a name like magic mushroom. I feel uncomfortable with your use of the term acid as there was no acid in the 19th century. It is a 20th century invention. I do understand your general meaning.

You post is actually quite puzzling. Did you and your companion both drop acid and together see an angel? On the other hand are you observing that people dream things, imagine things or have group experiences, see angels without chemical assistance?

I have had imaginary experiences without any chemicals.(near sleep type dream ) Peoples imagination can do that.

Whoa! Full stop! We are not connecting or maybe I’ve done a poor job explaining myself. First and foremost -- NO, my companion and I were not under the influence of drugs, not any drug. It was a common experience we had at the same time, same place, same circumstances. Nobody can tell me that I was just dreaming or having a lucid kind of experience to myself BECAUSE my companion also experienced the same thing! I have a witness that what happened to me also happened to him. How crazy is that?

Second, I have not used acid since my teenage years, age 18 was the end of that.

Third, I realize that acid in our times is a synthetic type of drug but it's the same class as what mushrooms do which is to produce hallucinations and so forth. Acid is acid, period, it just goes by different names. Peyote is also a kind of acid but it has its own name that works fine. hey man, they don't call it Mushroom rock or Peyote rock -- it's Acid rock!

Anyway, I don't doubt or deny Joseph Smith and his buddies saw all kings of cool and amazing things. They were tripping out and getting high. The evidence suggests that very strongly. On the other hand, if you really think that Moses and Elijah and all them guys who lived in the Bible really came to him and helped him start the one true church, well, that is another alternative in explaining the visions. But as for me, I won't fall for that crap again. Fool me once but not twice.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:45 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:57 pm

Whoa! Full stop! We are not connecting or maybe I’ve done a poor job explaining myself. First and foremost -- NO, my companion and I were not under the influence of drugs, not any drug. It was a common experience we had at the same time, same place, same circumstances. Nobody can tell me that I was just dreaming or having a lucid kind of experience to myself BECAUSE my companion also experienced the same thing! I have a witness that what happened to me also happened to him. How crazy is that?

Second, I have not used acid since my teenage years, age 18 was the end of that.

Third, I realize that acid in our times is a synthetic type of drug but it's the same class as what mushrooms do which is to produce hallucinations and so forth. Acid is acid, period, it just goes by different names. Peyote is also a kind of acid but it has its own name that works fine. hey man, they don't call it Mushroom rock or Peyote rock -- it's Acid rock!

Anyway, I don't doubt or deny Joseph Smith and his buddies saw all kings of cool and amazing things. They were tripping out and getting high. The evidence suggests that very strongly. On the other hand, if you really think that Moses and Elijah and all them guys who lived in the Bible really came to him and helped him start the one true church, well, that is another alternative in explaining the visions. But as for me, I won't fall for that crap again. Fool me once but not twice.
Shulem , I was not trying to determine what your angel experience was , I was asking you. It is a bit confusing to say those early Mormon vision must be drug induced but your own experience is not. That could be accurate but it is as if you were arguing with yourself.(but sometimes there are real angels) Ok maybe. I do not know for sure what happened In Kirkland.

I understood you were using the word acid to refer to a general category and not just the specific chemical. (an aside) I find the term acid rock so vague I think I rarely if ever used it. I checked wikapedia out of curiosity and it spoke of a wide jumble of different music from 1965 to early seventies. It combined Beach Boys good vibrations with Black Sabbath and its noise.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Well, I wasn't in Kirtland so I can't say what exactly happened other than every sign and indicator points to the idea that they were indeed using drugs to induce hallucinations of a religious nature. I'm not questioning their motives or their intent. It's simply matter that hallucinogenic drugs (acid man) was being used and it's a matter of people today to make of that what they will.

*Hey Joe Smith, man, wanna drop some acid and see God? Check these shrooms out.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem , your way of using the word acid bounces strange to my ears but that is probably just a result of different popular phrases in different locations and somewhat different times. I should not complain.

what I find myself curious about is whether you think Joseph could control peoples experience with the psychedelic. My first reaction was that different peoples reactions could go off in all sorts of different reactions.. A large group as at Kirkland temple could result is a mixed confused variety of experiences. Would Joseph risk disruptive divergent trips?
I can think of indications that he had developed abilities to influence and control peoples imaginative expectations.Perhaps he could do that keeping with using only the mild stimulant of wine.;