Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

Post by IHAQ »

Bumping for KevinSim
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The trouble starts with the category error in the statement "I know the Church is true." There is no saving that bad situation. Stop using the phrase if you want to remain LDS.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:25 pm
The trouble starts with the category error in the statement "I know the Church is true." There is no saving that bad situation. Stop using the phrase if you want to remain LDS.
Perhaps they need to begin saying "I think the church is good," though even that can end up problematic.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:07 am
What would your organization have to do to be Not True?
I think this is a key question that gets right to the heart of the matter. Kevin, can you answer Doc's question?
Dinging for Kevin (yet again) as requested
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think the truth of the LDS Church can be found in the members themselves. There are so many wonderful Saints and the Church helps to focus their energies toward good deeds.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:44 pm
IHAQ wrote:
I think this is a key question that gets right to the heart of the matter. Kevin, can you answer Doc's question?
BUMP since KS is actually answering questions this month.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

IHAQ wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What would your organization have to do to be Not True?
IHAQ wrote:
Not be endorsed by God. I don't know what to say other than that. As far as I know, God is capable of conveying the truth to us however S/He wants, however S/He knows will do the job.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:07 pm
IHAQ wrote:

Not be endorsed by God. I don't know what to say other than that. As far as I know, God is capable of conveying the truth to us however S/He wants, however S/He knows will do the job.
I'm curious why you would refer to the god you believe in as "S/He." In another thread you mention that "...preserving forever the quality of the lives of all seven billion people on Earth requires eventual membership in [the lds] church," indicating you believe exclusively in the lds version of god.

I am unaware of any acknowledgement or even consideration that the lds god could be a she or a he, so why would you use that language here?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:07 pm
IHAQ wrote:

According to religious leaders, God endorses their religion. So God endorses all religions. So all religions are true, even one’s that have conflicting doctrine.

In what way is confirmation bias different to the way you describe God conveys truth?