Sic et Non Is Dead

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Secret Societies
Nursery

Re: Sic et Non Is Dead

Post by Secret Societies »

Yes, he is...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DCP wrote:Remember that infamous recent women’s volleyball game between Duke University and Brigham Young University in Provo during which the entire BYU fan section, by its silence, tacitly approved of racial invective directed at one of the Duke players? Remember how the women’s basketball coach at the University of South Carolina cancelled BYU from her team’s schedule in order to keep them “safe”? Remember how nobody has found any actual evidence that any such racial invective ever occurred at the game? Remember that BYU defeated Duke? (That fact seems to have been obscured a bit, in all of the righteous outrage and soul-searching that followed.) Anyway, some plainly haven’t forgotten the incident, or non-incident. And the beat goes on:

Meridian Magazine: “BYU-Duke Volleyball: More Healing or More Culture War?”

Vox Nostra: “BYU, Duke, Pitchforks and Torches: It is entirely possible that both BYU and Duke are right in this matter. Consequently, we should give both BYU and Duke the benefit of the doubt.”

Common Sense: “How the Media Fell for A Racism Sham: A Brigham Young University paper scooped the New York Times. All the students did was practice basic journalism.”

Deseret News: “Political debate roils South Carolina after university cancels BYU women’s basketball games: State lawmakers demand University of South Carolina ‘apologize to BYU’ after canceling women’s basketball series”

I have to say that, in my view, Dawn Staley’s position was adopted far too hastily, and that her insistence on sticking by her position seems more than a little bit perverse.

I have to chuckle a little at DCP whinging on and on about a lack of evidence. This is the 3rd of 4th time he's cried about it. Nephites, anyone?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Drumdude
I have to chuckle a little at DCP whinging on and on about a lack of evidence. This is the 3rd of 4th time he's cried about it. Nephites, anyone?
Relax, the 3 witnesses got it covered...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Relax, the 3 witnesses got it covered...
so he's denying the veracity of eye-witness testimony?
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Well to be frank, we really don't have any interesting faithful dissenting voices here either.
What is happening are these indirect conversations between here and Sic et Non.
It makes both places less interesting.
I've been gone for a while, did the dissenters who were here get banned? I recall a few.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Well to be frank, we really don't have any interesting faithful dissenting voices here either.
What is happening are these indirect conversations between here and Sic et Non.
It makes both places less interesting.
I've been gone for a while, did the dissenters who were here get banned? I recall a few.
I don't think so. Banning is an extremely rare event here. Dissenters tend to get overwhelmed. Who are you thinking about?
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:02 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:

I don't think so. Banning is an extremely rare event here. Dissenters tend to get overwhelmed. Who are you thinking about?
That is one of the funniest posts ever posted on this forum.

Well done. I really laughed.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Alphus and Omegus wrote:

total banning, yes, but temporary banning seems to all the rage. Binger/Cultellus has to have been temporarily banned at least 4 times now, if not more.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:20 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:

total banning, yes, but temporary banning seems to all the rage. Binger/Cultellus has to have been temporarily banned at least 4 times now, if not more.
Way more than that.

Dissenters do get overwhelmed, no doubt about that. There is a line to toe and some people are weak.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:42 pm
There is a line to toe …
A short list is the more correct way to describe it. Here are the details:

viewtopic.php?p=1546#p1546