Happy Sunday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Happy Sunday

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Jack T wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:01 pm
[...] I don't recall there being this much animosity for Mormons more than 25 years ago, when I left Mormonism behind. Where does the hostility originate? [...]
I think some of the answer to this can possibly be found in the earliest days of the Church.

Look at the actions/reactions of the people who Joseph Smith directly deceived, and how they responded upon realizing it.

Also, at least here, I think you'll find that most of the animosity isn't for Mormons, but for the Church. Many likely still include Mormon within their overall identity. Even though I'm not a believer anymore, I still recognize just how Mormon I am, and likely always will be. There's a lot of cultural aspects, familial ties, etc. that can never be divested of through a belief shift.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:02 pm
I think humanity will eventually find something similar to religious community, if people continue to leave religion.
They have. There are many examples.

The question is, “Where do they lead one to?”

Many of these movements are transitory and have political goals and objectives. And then what?

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:02 pm
I think humanity will eventually find something similar to religious community, if people continue to leave religion.

Many of these movements are transitory and have political goals and objectives. And then what?

Regards,
MG
Like I said, nothing comes close to religion yet. I wouldn’t consider any of those transitory political movements the same as Christianity. Christianity has proven to transcend them.

It’s possible that Christianity morphs into something similar to secular Judaism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:32 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Regards,
MG
Like I said, nothing comes close to religion yet. I wouldn’t consider any of those transitory political movements the same as Christianity. Christianity has proven to transcend them.

It’s possible that Christianity morphs into something similar to secular Judaism.
Do secular Jews meet together oft in a community and learn from and serve each other? In an organizational sort of way?

It is organizations that tend to be the ‘glue’ that keep communities of common belief together.

I would agree with you that Christianity seems to have a ‘leg up’ on keeping the faith together as communities that serve and support one another.

Maybe because Christianity and other successful religious systems see themselves, on the whole, as being non-transitory, or temporary, and see themselves as transitioning into something greater that transcends this life.

That may be the glue that is missing from environmental movements, sports leagues, and all the rest of the ‘secular’ religions.

Regards,
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 pm
Do secular Jews meet together oft in a community and learn from and serve each other? In an organizational sort of way?
https://shj.org/
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:05 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 pm
https://shj.org/
Aha!

Good for them. And bless their efforts to find community and meaning…and greater good.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

John is a dude who has done some cool stuff, important stuff, and he has made some big mistakes along the way. I have no testimony of John Dehlin, but I have enjoyed some of the stuff he has done along the way immensely. Thanks, John Dehlin!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:33 pm
John is a dude who has done some cool stuff, important stuff, and he has made some big mistakes along the way. I have no testimony of John Dehlin, but I have enjoyed some of the stuff he has done along the way immensely. Thanks, John Dehlin!
For a number of years I listened to his podcast almost religiously.

Double entendre.

Then I lost my religion.

He’s still at it. His missionary outreach brings coverts into his religion of no religion.

I got out while I still could. Whew!

Regards,
MG
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jack T, you have received some responses. I was wondering if you were going to respond in any way. I was actually wondering how you avoided anger in your departure. I have thought that some anger was very much the usual experience for people leaving whether it was 100 or 50 or 5 years ago. How did it go for you?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 pm
Jack T, you have received some responses. I was wondering if you were going to respond in any way. I was actually wondering how you avoided anger in your departure. I have thought that some anger was very much the usual experience for people leaving whether it was 100 or 50 or 5 years ago. How did it go for you?
Not everyone has an angry phase. I didn't, but it's not something I can explain. In my experience, the range of experience during a transition out of Mormonism vary wildly.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.