Happy Sunday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Happy Sunday

Post by canpakes »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:30 pm
I'm curious about this MG. Do you consider it also to be a "cover up" when posts that have been nothing but harassment/personal attacks of you have been moved or edited? The board has handled posts according to forum rules in this manner the entire time you've posted here so I'm genuinely baffled at your response here.
In my view, Marcus was essentially harassing Atlantic Lover without cause. The reality may actually have been the opposite. So at the very least it was a draw. I don’t see why this thread was calved off. It could just as well remained ‘as is’ in my opinion.

But you are the moderators and I’m not.

Seemingly, in this instance, a poster’s hypersensitivity to ‘feeling’ as though they had been harassed was enough for you folks to bend the knee.

I won’t make any more of an issue out of this than I already have.

Regards,
MG

MG - there was a report of a derail. I reviewed the thread, and thought it best to split off the posts that were pointing to the antics or perceived behavior of other folks not even involved in the conversation. Doing so allowed the discussion of the topic to remain without so much ‘chaff’ interrupting it. As you had taken some of your own time and effort to engage the thread, I saw the split as beneficial to that focus on the topic.

Thread splits rarely keep everyone happy, but that just comes with the territory, right?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:03 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 pm

In my view, Marcus was essentially harassing Atlantic Lover without cause. The reality may actually have been the opposite. So at the very least it was a draw. I don’t see why this thread was calved off. It could just as well remained ‘as is’ in my opinion.

But you are the moderators and I’m not.

Seemingly, in this instance, a poster’s hypersensitivity to ‘feeling’ as though they had been harassed was enough for you folks to bend the knee.

I won’t make any more of an issue out of this than I already have.

Regards,
MG

MG - there was a report of a derail. I reviewed the thread, and thought it best to split off the posts that were pointing to the antics or perceived behavior of other folks not even involved in the conversation. Doing so allowed the discussion of the topic to remain without so much ‘chaff’ interrupting it. As you had taken some of your own time and effort to engage the thread, I saw I the split as beneficial to that focus on the topic.

Thread splits rarely keep everyone happy, but that just comes with the territory, right?
In my opinion it was being shown that Marcus was actually the one engaging in harassment of Atlantic Lover. She didn’t know what to make of it. It was becoming self evident that Marcus was at fault. The thread would have continued back to some sort of equilibrium I think. The fact that Marcus’s harassing was coming into the open as an obvious fact became an embarrassment to the board.

I think the moderators stepped in to exorcise that part of the thread to help Marcus save face.

That’s just my view. I really don’t see why the thread was calved. Many threads go off topic and then steer back. That’s what makes me think there were other reasons.

As I said, I’m not going continue my expression of disappointment and recognition of what I think was a miscarriage of justice. Sometimes you just have to go with what the Supreme Court says, right? 😉

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:17 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:03 pm

MG - there was a report of a derail. I reviewed the thread, and thought it best to split off the posts that were pointing to the antics or perceived behavior of other folks not even involved in the conversation. Doing so allowed the discussion of the topic to remain without so much ‘chaff’ interrupting it. As you had taken some of your own time and effort to engage the thread, I saw I the split as beneficial to that focus on the topic.

In my opinion it was being shown that Marcus was actually the one engaging in harassment of Atlantic Lover. She didn’t know what to make of it. It was becoming self evident that Marcus was at fault. The thread would have continued back to some sort of equilibrium I think. The fact that Marcus’s harassing was coming into the open as an obvious fact became an embarrassment to the board.

I think the moderators stepped in to exorcise that part of the thread to help Marcus save face.

That’s just my view. I really don’t see why the thread was calved. Many threads go off topic and then steer back. That’s what makes me think there were other reasons.

As I said, I’m not going continue my expression of disappointment and recognition of what I think was a miscarriage of justice. Sometimes you just have to go with what the Supreme Court says, right? 😉

Regards,
MG
It doesn't matter who is "at fault" for derailing a conversation. If it's a derail, then it is supposed to be split. It has nothing to with embarrassment. Why in the world would I be embarrassed for something Marcus said. Or you said. This is simple board organization, traffic cop stuff.

I got a PM about the derail. When I went to take a look, cp had already split it. And the split was done exactly as I would have. So, at least two people mentioned the derail in the thread, it was reported through the system, and I got a PM about it. That's a pretty good indication that the thread needed to be reviewed. Not only that, but the derail was clear. No politics or sinister motive needed to explain it. You describe the behavior as "harassment," which, if accurate, would certainly qualify as a "personal attack" that would require the thread to be split and the split moved to Prison/Terrestial. So, by your own description, the rules would require a split and moving of the split.

If you set out looking for something to be offended about, you can certainly find something. But this is the weakest example of "injustice" I think I've seen in my time as mod.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm
At one time I WAS one of his followers. But I saw that his no religion religion was a dead end path.
In this you reveal your own misconceived notion of what John has done and does. John has listeners, not followers. If you were looking for someone to follow, you were looking in the wrong place. Now you have turned back to follow the Brethren, and you claim to be happy. Now you criticize John for not offering what he did not offer in the first place. That's on you, not John.

Just be happy you have your Brethren to obey and follow and leave it at that.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm
At one time I WAS one of his followers. But I saw that his no religion religion was a dead end path.
In this you reveal your own misconceived notion of what John has done and does. John has listeners, not followers. If you were looking for someone to follow, you were looking in the wrong place. Now you have turned back to follow the Brethren, and you claim to be happy. Now you criticize John for not offering what he did not offer in the first place. That's on you, not John.

Just be happy you have your Brethren to obey and follow and leave it at that.
You do know how podcasts work, right? If you want to get updated episodes you connect with the podcast as a ‘follower’. I followed his podcast. I didn’t follow him as a disciple.

I’m not faulting the production value and the guests he’s had on. I don’t think I ever said that. I did say that as time went on I think that money entered in as being a factor as to why he continued doing the podcasts.

As I said, it became a cash cow.

Not that he didn’t continue to have interesting guests and the fact that he actually upgraded his production equipment/quality. He obviously was serious about keeping things online and continuing the revenue stream to pay the bills, and then some.

He found a good gig and he stayed with it.

Day to day, Kishkumen, I don’t hyperventilate about following the Brethren as much as I focus on obeying the commandments and teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

That’s what’s important. The Brethren simply reinforce that when we hear from them now and then.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 pm
You describe the behavior as "harassment," which, if accurate, would certainly qualify as a "personal attack" that would require the thread to be split and the split moved to Prison/Terrestial. So, by your own description, the rules would require a split and moving of the split.
It would be interesting to know then whether the person doing the actual harassing reported himself/herself to the moderators.

Why they would do that is a puzzle…

I don’t doubt that my involvement in this calving process has been extraordinarily frustrating for you. 😉

I will respect your judgement.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:29 pm
You do know how podcasts work, right? If you want to get updated episodes you connect with the podcast as a ‘follower’. I followed his podcast. I didn’t follow him as a disciple.
You can try to walk it back now, MG, but we have all watched what you are saying about losing your John Dehlin religion, and not being his follower anymore, and being sad that he does not offer anything as good as the Gospel of Jesus Christ. All that speaks volumes. I am not misreading you. Maybe you just need to be more careful about the admissions you make.
As I said, it became a cash cow.
Cash cow is 120 billion dollars. A decent middle class wage that allows you to pay a mortgage and send your kids to college is not a cash cow.
Day to day, Kishkumen, I don’t hyperventilate about following the Brethren as much as I focus on obeying the commandments and teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

That’s what’s important. The Brethren simply reinforce that when we hear from them now and then.
If that's how you see it, I won't contradict you. That's not what I see.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Kish, would you consider doing a podcast with Dehlin? Have you already done one?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:46 pm
…we have all watched what you are saying about losing your John Dehlin religion, and not being his follower anymore, and being sad that he does not offer anything as good as the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Pretty simple. I don’t follow his podcasts anymore…except now and then I must admit. I did listen to the segment where he did a dual podcast of sorts with the guy from Gospel Tangents.

I stick to what I’ve said, but not to any distorted interpretations which may/will come about as a result of what I’ve said. Look, I get it. You and others are followers of John Dehlin. You believe in his cause.

It is what it is.

You say that I am “sad that he doesn’t offer anything as good as the Gospel of Jesus Christ”

Sad? Really?

I wouldn’t even expect that he could come close. He’s not God after all. Sheesh.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:46 pm

Cash cow is 120 billion dollars. A decent middle class wage that allows you to pay a mortgage and send your kids to college is not a cash cow.
Cash cow: A product or service that provides a steady, dependable source of funds or income.
https://www.wordnik.com/words/cash%20cow
John: Yeah baby!

Love this gig.

Regards,
MG