Happy Sunday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Happy Sunday

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Just to make sure I’m keeping up:

Following the brethren means listening to their podcasts, and being a General Authority is a cash cow.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:15 pm
Cash cow: A product or service that provides a steady, dependable source of funds or income.
https://www.wordnik.com/words/cash%20cow
John: Yeah baby!

Love this gig.

Regards,
MG
Yeah, he loves helping people, you bigot. Very slimy of you to connect the money to this statement you are putting in his mouth in a way that completely excludes the time he spent talking about how he values being a help to people who are suffering.

And by your reasoning, anything that comes with a steady paycheck is a cash cow. I don't call my job a cash cow.

This is why people don't care for your behavior MG.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 pm
and being a General Authority is a cash cow.
Given his definition, it looks like MG agrees.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:00 pm
Pretty simple. I don’t follow his podcasts anymore…except now and then I must admit. I did listen to the segment where he did a dual podcast of sorts with the guy from Gospel Tangents.

I stick to what I’ve said, but not to any distorted interpretations which may/will come about as a result of what I’ve said. Look, I get it. You and others are followers of John Dehlin. You believe in his cause.

It is what it is.

You say that I am “sad that he doesn’t offer anything as good as the Gospel of Jesus Christ”

Sad? Really?

I wouldn’t even expect that he could come close. He’s not God after all. Sheesh.

Regards,
MG
Very, very dishonest of you, MG. You don't get to change the history of your statements and put words in our mouths. I listen to a lot of different podcasts. I am a follower of no movement or leader. I have been critical of certain things these podcasters say, and that is pretty good evidence of the fact that I do not follow them in the sense that you follow and obey the Brethren.

You follow and obey the Brethren. You understandably became disillusioned for a time, and you turned to John Dehlin for a leader. You were dissatisfied because a podcast is not a Church. So you returned to Church because it provides the leadership and the version of the Gospel of Jesus Christ you like.

Fine. Good for you. I don't begrudge you that.

But it is totally slimy of you to claim in retrospect that we follow John in the fashion you sought to in your misguided way. We are not you. I never looked to John Dehlin for spiritual leadership or a replacement for the LDS Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's you. You have said so here.

I am sorry you can't face your own words and that you now dishonestly want to pin them on others.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Morley wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:33 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 pm
and being a General Authority is a cash cow.
Given his definition, it looks like MG agrees.
This is a very very interesting question.

We know that is a cow for the guys that are better at living longer than the other guys. But is it a cash cow? Or an equity cow?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I’m pretty sure Dehlin wouldn’t cover for any person who raped children, to include toddlers and babies. And yet, the Mormon church literally aided and abetted baby rapists knowingly sending them back to their families so they could rape some more - AND placed other men who confessed to all forms of sexual abuse back into leadership positions.

THIS is the cult MG pledges fealty to.

Crazy.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 pm
I’m pretty sure Dehlin wouldn’t cover for any person who raped children, to include toddlers and babies. And yet, the Mormon church literally aided and abetted baby rapists knowingly sending them back to their families so they could rape some more - AND placed other men who confessed to all forms of sexual abuse back into leadership positions.

Crazy.

- Doc
I don't see why anyone would even compare John Dehlin to a Church that claims to be led by God and his Son Jesus Christ. A Church with scores of billions of dollars. One that claims authority from God. One that has millions of adherents. He is a guy with a podcast on the topic of Mormonism who helps out people who are hurting because they lost faith in the LDS Church. In what way are these two things comparable? A global church and a podcast!

Sure, it's a clever rhetorical move for the thirty seconds it takes to get over the shock of someone doing it and you actually think about it. The LDS Church claims to be Divinely led by men who speak to God. John Dehlin is a guy with a podcast. That Church has utterly failed to deal with its faith crisis problem, and fails to own up to its own failure. Its only move is to kick the people who honestly and openly talk about those obvious failures.

And now they have the audacity (note the word) to insist that John can't offer what they offer.

Yeah, like John doesn't want to offer shielding child abusers and hoarding billions of dollars for no apparent reason.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:37 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 pm
You describe the behavior as "harassment," which, if accurate, would certainly qualify as a "personal attack" that would require the thread to be split and the split moved to Prison/Terrestial. So, by your own description, the rules would require a split and moving of the split.
It would be interesting to know then whether the person doing the actual harassing reported himself/herself to the moderators.

Why they would do that is a puzzle…

I don’t doubt that my involvement in this calving process has been extraordinarily frustrating for you. 😉

I will respect your judgement.

Regards,
MG
Not even ordinarily frustrating.

I can't disclose the identity of the person who PM'd me. On occasion, I've asked the other two moderators to look at a thread to see if I've derailed it. Or, I've looked the thread over after the conversation and concluded that I'd derailed it and it needed to be split. You keep trying to make this into some kind of moral judgment. It's not.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:45 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 pm

Crazy.

- Doc
I don't see why anyone would even compare John Dehlin to a Church that claims to be led by God and his Son Jesus Christ. A Church with scores of billions of dollars. One that claims authority from God. One that has millions of adherents. He is a guy with a podcast on the topic of Mormonism who helps out people who are hurting because they lost faith in the LDS Church. In what way are these two things comparable? A Church and a podcast!

Sure, it's a clever rhetorical move for the thirty seconds it takes to get over the shock of someone doing it and you actually think about it. The LDS Church claims to be Divinely led by men who speak to God. John Dehlin is a guy with a podcast. That Church has utterly failed to deal with its faith crisis problem, and fails to own up to its own failure. Its only move is to kick the people who honestly and openly talk about those obvious failures.

And now they have the audacity (note the word) to insist that John can't offer what they offer.

Yeah, like John doesn't want to offer shielding child abusers and hoarding billions of dollars for no apparent reason.
Has any of these daft hypocrites stopped and thought about the sheer amount of media their “church” owns AND generates before popping off at the mouth with regard to a podcaster-therapist? It’s so asinine that the only people who could compare the two without blushing in shame would be those of a cultish persuasion, in my opinion.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:51 pm
Has any of these daft hypocrites stopped and thought about the sheer amount of media their “church” owns AND generates before popping off at the mouth with regard to a podcaster-therapist? It’s so asinine that the only people who could compare the two without blushing in shame would be those of a cultish persuasion, in my opinion.

- Doc
The Church needs volunteer a-holes who are willing to be completely shameless and stubbornly moronic where the leaders are unwilling to act. In other words, their media is good at asserting authority only its members take seriously and doing so in a very tinny and holier-than-thou way. Like demanding that they not be called Mormon any more because Satan or some such. THAT is what their media empire is about, treacly messages and silly demands.

They still manage to drum up a whistling and whittling brigade to shove and throw elbows where the cultishly devoted find it appropriate to do so. I think Elder Holland gave these folks their marching orders.

I don't see the LDS Church as a cult. It's not interesting enough. I think it is more of a joyless corporate enterprise that more or less, probably increasingly less, fills a hole in the modern middle class life. You need meaning? We have a package you're gonna love, and it will only cost you a little over 10% of your post-tax income. Step right up, folks!

I don't hold anyone individually and personally accountable for this dismal state of affairs. Evidently there are happy customers. Or, happy enough. But I am not one of them. The interesting thing is that some people find happiness in it by cosplaying cyber-Danite or Dolores Umbrage minus the Hogwarts stuff. In other words, they find a niche to indulge their cruel stupidity in the name of protecting Sony Corporation or fighting the war of Microsoft vs. Apple. This one just happens to have the name of Jesus and his new corporate logo tacked on it.