Feedback About the Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
JohnW
Valiant A

Feedback About the Board

Post by JohnW »

I'm not sure what it is about the DiscussMormonism community, but I keep coming back. This is especially odd to me, because I'm a TBM and completely active in the church. I know there are a few more critical views of the church around here than there were at the beginning of the board, but believe it or not, I kind of like it. I think I just really like a clear, honest, unadulterated perspective from people who are deep thinkers and highly rational but have come to a different conclusion than me.

I tend to post for a few months or a year, disappear for a couple years, and then come back. My most recent break was while I was serving as a bishop, so not a ton of time. I always forget my username, so I always have to make a new account. I think my most recent avatar was either Gorman or something like that, but maybe don't go back and look at my old posts. I probably come across as a little too preachy. I'm sure I thought I had to "save" all you sinners. Yeah . . . sorry about that. I think I've decided I like the community just the way it is.

There have been multiple times over the years where I held some theological positions that just weren't internally consistent. You guys helped me ferret out those inconsistencies. Often it helped me understand my religion better. Other times, it made me struggle mightily with my testimony for a short time. Ultimately, I'm a better person because of it, so thanks.

I can't guarantee I won't take another break after a few months or a year, but I hope you guys will still be here when I get a little stagnant and realize I need some deeply thoughtful and highly critical thinking about my worldview again. Although this time I actually uploaded a picture to my avatar (even if it is a little fuzzy), so maybe that means I'll hang around a little longer.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Feedback About the Board

Post by Philo Sofee »

Welcome back. Yeah the Yin and Yang dichotomy has to exist in order for life and our understanding to be better balanced...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

JohnW wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 pm
I'm not sure what it is about the DiscussMormonism community, but I keep coming back. This is especially odd to me, because I'm a TBM and completely active in the church. I know there are a few more critical views of the church around here than there were at the beginning of the board, but believe it or not, I kind of like it. I think I just really like a clear, honest, unadulterated perspective from people who are deep thinkers and highly rational but have come to a different conclusion than me.

I tend to post for a few months or a year, disappear for a couple years, and then come back. My most recent break was while I was serving as a bishop, so not a ton of time. I always forget my username, so I always have to make a new account. I think my most recent avatar was either Gorman or something like that, but maybe don't go back and look at my old posts. I probably come across as a little too preachy. I'm sure I thought I had to "save" all you sinners. Yeah . . . sorry about that. I think I've decided I like the community just the way it is.

There have been multiple times over the years where I held some theological positions that just weren't internally consistent. You guys helped me ferret out those inconsistencies. Often it helped me understand my religion better. Other times, it made me struggle mightily with my testimony for a short time. Ultimately, I'm a better person because of it, so thanks.

I can't guarantee I won't take another break after a few months or a year, but I hope you guys will still be here when I get a little stagnant and realize I need some deeply thoughtful and highly critical thinking about my worldview again. Although this time I actually uploaded a picture to my avatar (even if it is a little fuzzy), so maybe that means I'll hang around a little longer.
Exellent post, really appreciate your perspective. Welcome back and hope you stick around!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I recall the name Gorman. Welcome back.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Say hello to AtlanticMike.