Mormon Stories Question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Mormon Stories Question

Post by Binger »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Jesus. I would not do what he does for that compensation. To hell with that.
Sit and listen to people drone on about their stories for hours? Why not? Can't stand other people telling you stories or what have you?
Talking to people would be fine. That would be very interesting. Sourcing the subjects for interviews, editing the video and audio, promoting the content, dealing with clowns in the comment section, keeping 10 social media sites current and also dealing with the accounting of a not for profit company and putting up with the nay-sayers? No way. He better be making a lot more than what he is disclosing. That is nuts.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Talking to people would be fine. That would be very interesting. Sourcing the subjects for interviews, editing the video and audio, promoting the content, dealing with clowns in the comment section, keeping 10 social media sites current and also dealing with the accounting of a not for profit company and putting up with the nay-sayers? No way. He better be making a lot more than what he is disclosing. That is nuts.
Apparently a lot of that stuff was done by volunteers, or near volunteers. I also wouldn't doubt if he had some other nondisclosed moneys, but who knows and who cares?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Binger wrote:
jpatterson wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm

According to Open Stories Foundation's 2020 IRS filing, John got $215K in executive compensation and the rest of the "staff" got about $5,000 to share amongst themselves.
He’s also a narcissist so it comes with a nice perk of having thousands of followers
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:29 pm
Binger wrote:

He’s also a narcissist so it comes with a nice perk of having thousands of followers
Having a thousand followers or more is not a symptom or indicator of narcissism. Some people people get their narcissistic rocks off on a forum with 472 registered users and some folks get their narcissistic rocks off talking about how other people are more narcissistic than them.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:35 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:29 pm
Having a thousand followers or more is not a symptom or indicator of narcissism. Some people people get their narcissistic rocks off on a forum with 472 registered users and some folks get their narcissistic rocks off talking about how other people are more narcissistic than them.

Sure, but drumdude didn’t say that having a thousand followers implied narcissism. : D
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Binger wrote:
Sourcing the subjects for interviews, editing the video and audio, promoting the content, dealing with clowns in the comment section, keeping 10 social media sites current and also dealing with the accounting of a not for profit company and putting up with the nay-sayers? No way. He better be making a lot more than what he is disclosing. That is nuts.
Yeah, he doesn't do any of that himself. He has an army of volunteers and some meagerly paid staff (when he can hold onto them) that do all of the above.

He's the talent, he does the strategic direction and he makes public appearances. The scut work is done by worker bees he has at his disposal 24/7. Just go look at his Facebook timeline at the number of times he's crowdsourced website work or SEO work or editing work or community moderators.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:07 pm
Binger wrote:
Sourcing the subjects for interviews, editing the video and audio, promoting the content, dealing with clowns in the comment section, keeping 10 social media sites current and also dealing with the accounting of a not for profit company and putting up with the nay-sayers? No way. He better be making a lot more than what he is disclosing. That is nuts.
Yeah, he doesn't do any of that himself. He has an army of volunteers and some meagerly paid staff (when he can hold onto them) that do all of the above.

He's the talent, he does the strategic direction and he makes public appearances. The scut work is done by worker bees he has at his disposal 24/7. Just go look at his Facebook timeline at the number of times he's crowdsourced website work or SEO work or editing work or community moderators.
Today’s Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the space he invades
He gets by on you

No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government.
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren’t permanent –
But change is

What you say about his company
Is what you say about society

-Catch the witness – Catch the wit
-Catch the spirit – Catch the spit
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Sounds to me John makes more money than 99% of human inhabitants by sitting and listening to stories and not much more. Ok many say he interrupts and talks a lot himself, so he does that part too. I skimmed a transparency show he recently did, thinking he may divulge the finances, but it was more about how he's too busy by sitting with people 5 hours at a time, so he's cutting back on that...or something. And something about how hard it is to keep a following seeing as the exmormon population isn't that big in his view.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Sure, but drumdude didn’t say that having a thousand followers implied narcissism. : D
I hear the accusation of narcissist thrown out enough these days (not in reference to John per se), it makes me wonder what it really is. Someone getting diagnosed with a narcissistic disorder might not be too uncommon. But if you consult lists of what's a narcissist I notice most people, from time to time, at least hit on a few of the points. To many accusers, it seems, if they can reasonably say someone fits at least a couple of the points they feel justified in calling them a narcissist. The problem I have is, as I said, most people will hit at least a couple of the points on the list at various times in their lives, given circumstance and all of that. If that's how we play it, it kinda makes the term useless.

I will say John certainly does appear to enjoy hearing himself talk. He seems to love seeking attention and playing off of attention. But many people like that stuff.
Among the Narcissist Checklist, here are some defining traits that usually indicate you are dealing with a narcissist:
Being self-enamored, self-absorbed
A strong need for control
Demonstrating low levels of empathy
An attitude of entitlement
Chronically mismanaged anger
Manipulative or exploitive behavior
Feeling superiority over others
Living in an alternate reality
Being pathologically defensive.
https://survivingnarcissism.tv/the-narc ... re%20items

I don't know if someone would have to fit all of these categories at once or if this is anywhere near a useful checklist. I would hate for someone to see how/if they can check this list off for John...but I'm sure some people might feel inclined. I tuned him out too long ago to really know...and my memory isn't sufficient enough to be reliable. And once you kinda see someone as too full of themselves it's probably too hard to see past the bias--squint enough at someone and they too might fit the list if you're prone to see them that way.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Binger, I don't know you well, but I wouldn't have imagined I'd see you defending John, for some reason. I like it. He needs defending from some of us, particularly when we're not being fair. He's just a guy doing his thing. hopefully we can all appreciate that and leave him be, in the end. (He still has, by far, the most punchable face in all of Mormondom)
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos