Elder Soares and the parable of the cancelled flight...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Elder Soares and the parable of the cancelled flight...

Post by IHAQ »

Nearing the end of an 11-day ministry trip, Elder Ulisses Soares spoke with missionaries in the France Lyon Mission on Saturday morning, Sept. 17, encouraging them to “keep focused on what your purpose as missionaries.”
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders/2 ... on-mission
Elder Soares, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, presided at meetings in Portugal last weekend and France this weekend with a trip to the Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan, in between. The busy ministry assignment was not without its challenges — some of which he shared with the missionaries in Lyon on Saturday morning.

He told them of the canceled flights, lost luggage, a strike in one of the airports and adjusted itineraries which he and his wife, Sister Rosana Soares, experienced. Among other inconveniences, an in-person meeting in Porto, Portugal, where the Soareses served as mission leaders two decades ago, had to be changed to a meeting via Zoom, instead. They had come across the North American continent and the Atlantic Ocean to Portugal, only to be diverted from their destination at the last minute. They were so close, but remained far away.

Though emotional about the perceived loss of an opportunity he had waited a long time to have since being called as an Apostle, Elder Soares told the missionaries to remember that “the Lord knows the beginning from the end, and He is in control.”
If He's in control how come the flight got cancelled? Emotional about using Zoom because your flight got cancelled? If it was such an important opportunity to him why didn't he, at some point during the last 20 years, pay for his own flights and take his vacation in Porto Portugal? Oh wait, he wanted to go and show off that he's now an Apostle...Perhaps the cancelled flight is God's way of telling him not to be such a show off, and as punishment for procrastinating on the trip.
drumdude
God

Re: Elder Soares and the parable of the cancelled flight...

Post by drumdude »

You’re not meant to use your brain when general authorities speak. It’s more like a meditation. Just let the monotone waves wash over you and feel the spirit.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Well shoot. That's some important news--they guy had some delayed and cancelled flights?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

The bar for miracles has been lowered to mustard seed limbo. For example. Look at Bednar's explanation of miracles during covid.
Elder Bednar shared comments from eight Church members that give insight into what they viewed as the miraculous nature of that 72-hour period inside these temples.
Some described miracles in making appointments for so many people in so little time. “When I started calling patrons … I completely expected to leave messages,” one person said. “Almost everyone answered their phone. To me, [this was] a miracle. Almost all available time slots were filled in less than a day and a half.”
And
There was miracle after miracle,” another said, “miracles in scheduling, miracles in obtaining necessary paperwork to have ordinances [rites and ceremonies] completed, miracles in having one available appointment time precisely at the only time a patron was able to come.”
Others spoke of the look reflected on the faces of those who, instead of being weary from serving all night and morning, were miraculously full of joy and light.
“As I arrived at the temple on Thursday morning around 5:00 a.m., I saw ordinance workers who had served all night long still smiling as they served,” one person said. “One brother stayed at the temple day and night, not going home for three days. His service was invaluable and needed in so many ways.”
So people answering phones and smiling are considered miraculous. I will give credit for the gnat resurrection though. https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _the_most/
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm
The bar for miracles has been lowered to mustard seed limbo. For example. Look at Bednar's explanation of miracles during covid.
Elder Bednar shared comments from eight Church members that give insight into what they viewed as the miraculous nature of that 72-hour period inside these temples.
Some described miracles in making appointments for so many people in so little time. “When I started calling patrons … I completely expected to leave messages,” one person said. “Almost everyone answered their phone. To me, [this was] a miracle. Almost all available time slots were filled in less than a day and a half.”
And
There was miracle after miracle,” another said, “miracles in scheduling, miracles in obtaining necessary paperwork to have ordinances [rites and ceremonies] completed, miracles in having one available appointment time precisely at the only time a patron was able to come.”
Others spoke of the look reflected on the faces of those who, instead of being weary from serving all night and morning, were miraculously full of joy and light.
“As I arrived at the temple on Thursday morning around 5:00 a.m., I saw ordinance workers who had served all night long still smiling as they served,” one person said. “One brother stayed at the temple day and night, not going home for three days. His service was invaluable and needed in so many ways.”
So people answering phones and smiling are considered miraculous. I will give credit for the gnat resurrection though. https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _the_most/
The comments on the thread are pretty gnood.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm
And
Elder Gay was being bothered by a gnat.
He claps to kill the gnat.
He looks at the seemingly dead gnat in his hand and feels remorse.
Kneels down and prays that the gnat might live again.
Gnat lives again.
Elder Gay cannot explain it, therefore resurrection miracle.

Yeah. The gnat definitely wasn't just stunned.
Elder Gay went on to perform similar miracles in cancer wards all over the globe...oh wait...

Mormon Leaders - Can resurrect gnats, cannot prevent child abuse. Got it.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

My brother served under Soares. My brother didn't like him. One thing my brother mentioned was that Soares made it clear that while he was Brazilian he was pure white European stock and the priesthood/temple ban would never have applied to him.