Thoughts stemming from BYP's Why I m not a atheist video

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Thoughts stemming from BYP's Why I m not a atheist video

Post by msnobody »

When a person transitions from an atheistic belief, I assume, they go to a theistic or a deistic belief.

A couple of questions come to my mind while watching the BYP's video. This may be more of a deistic question I'm asking. If a person comes to a belief in the existence of God, is that person content and stop there, or does that person have an inherent desire to know this God on an intimate and personal level? Then, if not content with mere belief that there is a God, does that person seek God, and how does one go about seeking further knowledge of God? Is it good to only inquire as to what other humans have further concluded, or is it best to go straight to God for him to reveal himself to the individual?

Of course, I have opinions on this, but I’ve never had to ask these questions of myself from a position others may be in. I'm wondering if I were in the position of having newly concluded there is a god or God, what would I do as a result? Would I do anything? Would I be satisfied, being content and pursue it no further, or would I pursue it further?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Thoughts stemming from BYP's Why I m not a atheist video

Post by Philo Sofee »

Succinct and wonderful reflections. Thanks for sharing them Msnobody!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

In my case, now that I again believe in a god or higher power I see no real need to pursue it further.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:15 am
In my case, now that I again believe in a god or higher power I see no real need to pursue it further.
As I think about it, I was around eleven years old when I had my encounter with the Lord (born again). I suppose prior to that I did believe there was a God. I don’t remember being in pursuit of God, but apparently He was in pursuit of me. I find myself asking him why he does this at an early age with some, while others he waits later in life. I guess, like the angels, I too long to look into these things.

Thank ya’ll for sharing your thoughts.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think it depends a lot on the person. If a person was an atheist for intellectual reasons, read a lot about religions, or just in general has a high formal education with a classics or history bent, and certainly, if a person has read as much about religion as the BYP, the likelihood of pursuing anything beyond a general God is very low.

If a person is an atheist because they are angry at mom and dad, want to party, girl or boy rejected, and go on a dark path with drinking, drugs, other vices that border on criminality, then there is a very high likelihood such a person's discovery of God will get more personal. Basically, if there is a tremendous need for emotional support or life direction.

Now, you may ask, what happens if a brilliant classicist who is a non-believer goes on a dark personal path, which tendency wins out? I don't know. In general, a college student studying engineering is more likely to join Scientology than a college student studying humanities.

My mission didn't inform me about this topic nearly as much as watching my dad as a member missionary, who brought all kinds of people to the waters of Mormon and even more almost but not quite to that point. What they all had in common was lots of personal problems and needing someone to listen, and either community, or a framework that helped them stay on track in life. A God of specifics is generally part of this equation. Most of these folks were really beaten down people in bad places. One guy, hardened atheist who hated God and was a mob affiliate and nearly at the end, ended up joining and becoming a bishop. One other specifically described as an atheist was a brilliant engineer. Super smart, quirky, but super specialized knowledge.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

That’s a very insightful post, Dear Robbers. It corresponds with my experience quite well.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

For me, I hope there is something beyond but realize that no one knows. Those who claim they do are simply guessing at it. Anxiety, a fear of death, and a desire to believe can lead to false confidence and I think this is what is going on with the various religious leaders who claim special knowledge.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.