Elder Holland says love of wife and kids not in top 3 priorities

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Elder Holland says love of wife and kids not in top 3 priorities

Post by IHAQ »

Holland starts with a bizarre analogy between the gospel and a maypole.
“Did you ever braid a maypole when you were a little kid?” questioned Elder Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. “We always braided the maypole every May 1. And if the maypole is the gospel, then everything else weaves around and becomes part of that configuration.

“But if the maypole is something else, then prophets, seers and revelators have trouble. If it’s material wealth, if it’s social standing, if that’s what you’re braiding to, then we have trouble because some of our colors aren’t going to work.”
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders/2 ... -a-maypole
Braiding a Maypole strikes me as a fairly niche activity that a lot of people won't be able to relate to. However, having set off on the path Holland continues and unwittingly tells people his family don't rank in his top 3 identities/priorities.
“I can only braid the gospel maypole,” he said. “My first identity, my first identity is love of God, and love of the Savior of the world, and love of neighbor, in that order. And then the strands of that … beautiful little pole can work.”
:shock:
dastardly stem
God

Re: Elder Holland says love of wife and kids not in top 3 priorities

Post by dastardly stem »

I've never heard of a damned maypole nor taking on a tradition of decorating one. ANyway, I'd wonder what Holland would say if you confronted him with the question of whether his family is a priority. He may stick it right in their with God. If there is no God and he's only found in one's mind, then love of God is really only love of self. And for many love of self includes loving your family. I mean I don't know how such reasoning fits in reality on Christianity since Jesus teaches to hate family for his sake, but you know Jesus is largely ignored by religionists who say he's the best.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Re: Elder Holland says love of wife and kids not in top 3 priorities

Post by drumdude »

Yes, those beautiful Mormon colors of racism and hatred towards LGBT people do not fit around my maypole, Elder Holland. I am proud of that fact.