Free eBook: Truth is Reason

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
JohnW
Valiant A

Free eBook: Truth is Reason

Post by JohnW »

A few years back, I wrote a book on Latter-day Saint Theology. It was one of those self-published things that sells 20 copies to friends and family. For at least three or four chapters, the particular position I take on theology was shaped by discussions I had in years past on this board. I figured I would give back to the community, even if that gift may be the rough equivalent of one of those haphazard, handmade gifts that little kids make. Amazon lets me give away the ebook version for free a handful of times per year. I scheduled this weekend (Friday through Tuesday) as one of those times. Get a copy for free if it interests you. The title is Truth is Reason: Faith of a Scientist. It should pop up with a quick Google search.

It isn't really an apologetic work, so it wouldn't hold up to being picked apart. And please don't give it to your spouse or child thinking it will "cure" them. Yes, it has helped one or two people, but the primary audience just isn't people who are struggling with their faith. The book assumes you already believe (or at least really want to believe). It is primarily designed for the rationally-minded Latter-day Saint who would just like to approach their spiritual journey with a little more rigor.
Marcus
God

Re: Free eBook: Truth is Reason

Post by Marcus »

thank you, i downloaded it to my kindle. Always interested in hearing a story from a fellow lds-raised person, especially one who has posted here.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

JohnW wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:20 am
A few years back, I wrote a book on Latter-day Saint Theology. It was one of those self-published things that sells 20 copies to friends and family. For at least three or four chapters, the particular position I take on theology was shaped by discussions I had in years past on this board. I figured I would give back to the community, even if that gift may be the rough equivalent of one of those haphazard, handmade gifts that little kids make. Amazon lets me give away the ebook version for free a handful of times per year. I scheduled this weekend (Friday through Tuesday) as one of those times. Get a copy for free if it interests you. The title is Truth is Reason: Faith of a Scientist. It should pop up with a quick Google search.

It isn't really an apologetic work, so it wouldn't hold up to being picked apart. And please don't give it to your spouse or child thinking it will "cure" them. Yes, it has helped one or two people, but the primary audience just isn't people who are struggling with their faith. The book assumes you already believe (or at least really want to believe). It is primarily designed for the rationally-minded Latter-day Saint who would just like to approach their spiritual journey with a little more rigor.
Thank you very much! I’m a little ways in and it looks like I’ll keep on reading. I appreciate you making it available for free.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I downloaded a copy. Thanks!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Thanks, johnW. I’ve read into chapter 12. I see a little more clearly why you are responding as you are in the other thread. There is plenty I’d like to pick at in the book as you might imagine, but I’m happy enough to see you trying and will let the conversations be as they are. I might get back in to it and finish the book. I didn’t realize we had another physics guy here.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos