More Bad News For The Future Of The Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

More Bad News For The Future Of The Church

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Can someone here show me this is anything but dismal news for the Church's future?

31223 wards & branches as of January 1st, 2022
31224 wards & branches as of October 1st, 2002
increase of 1 (.003% increase)

4009 stakes & districts as of January 1st, 2022
4020 stakes & districts as of October 1st, 2022
increase of 11 (.2% increase)

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/units.php
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: More Bad News For The Future Of The Church

Post by drumdude »

All this proves is that we are all at the cusp right of the most latterist or latter days. Latter hours, minutes, yes even latter seconds.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:43 pm
Can someone here show me this is anything but dismal news for the Church's future?

increase of 1 (.003% increase)

4009 stakes & districts as of January 1st, 2022
4020 stakes & districts as of October 1st, 2022
increase of 11 (.2% increase)

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/units.php
and yet, an increase of more than 5 million members, or about 40%, right?

in a recent conversation here, it was noted the average ward size was over 600. in buildings where, at least in the US, the codes limit physical occupancy, by law, to around 150.

i wonder if they will ever admit that they calculate "membership" differently than the entire rest of the world?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I used to buy the church's explanation when I was on a mission that they split up wards into smaller wards and branches in order to grow the church. The idea was that instead of everyone comfortable and friendly in one big ward, the smaller groups would force members to get out of their comfort zones and bring in converts. Didn't seem to work at all and in fact, the members hated it and suffered. The model that worked at that time was the mega-churches. The big "Christian Centers".

I wonder if the church leaders knew all along that such a model was suspect, but figured a few well-placed split-ups would make it look like on paper that the church was growing? One side of the ledger has soccer baptisms driving raw numbers, the other side has more wards (with less people) to provide place for all the converts.

At least MG 2.0 admitted that his ward was shrinking.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

There were just over 26,000 wards and branches on aprils report 2002.

To Marcus’ point 5 million member increase but only 5k increase in wards and branches since 2002 shows a problem for the church.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Church will pick up some much-needed traction with the Harry Potter Books Burning at BYU.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/10/01/ ... ut-joseph/

More Church news: There is a General Conference this weekend.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:32 am
There were just over 26,000 wards and branches on aprils report 2002.

To Marcus’ point 5 million member increase but only 5k increase in wards and branches since 2002 shows a problem for the church.
Thomas S Monson, Gen. Conference April 2014
My beloved brothers and sisters, how pleased I am to welcome you to this worldwide conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are gathered together as a great family, more than 15 million strong, united in our faith and in our desire to listen to and learn from the messages which will be presented to us.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng

He knew he wasn’t painting an accurate picture when he said that.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:43 pm
One fewer ward nearly 20 years later?? That's way worse than even I thought.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:54 pm
I used to buy the church's explanation when I was on a mission that they split up wards into smaller wards and branches in order to grow the church. The idea was that instead of everyone comfortable and friendly in one big ward, the smaller groups would force members to get out of their comfort zones and bring in converts. Didn't seem to work at all and in fact, the members hated it and suffered. The model that worked at that time was the mega-churches. The big "Christian Centers".

I wonder if the church leaders knew all along that such a model was suspect, but figured a few well-placed split-ups would make it look like on paper that the church was growing? One side of the ledger has soccer baptisms driving raw numbers, the other side has more wards (with less people) to provide place for all the converts.

At least MG 2.0 admitted that his ward was shrinking.
I'm not sure the splitting strategy is the problem.

Look at the 7th day adventists, they are booming. They take the church everywhere, no unit too small. Pretty transparent too. They actually do other useful things like build hospitals, schools and universities.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

If there is bad news for the LDS Church, chances are they are the ones responsible for making it.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow