The 2022 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: The 2022 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by Doctor Scratch »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 pm
I hate to question the inimitable Dr Scratch here, but it feels we’re rewarding someone with this great honor largely because he may or may not be the author of an anti-heartlander blog. If the author is someone else should not this honor go to that person?
Smoot and Robert Boylan have both said publicly that the blog is operated by an African American Latter-day Saint named "Richard Nygren." Meanwhile, Dan Peterson said that he knows the person who's behind the blog. If there really is an African American Mopologist named Richard Nygren--then sure, the award should go to him. It would be easy enough for the apologists to prove this to us, and to make all of us look like fools.

But the greater likelihood is that "Neville-Neville Land" is authored mainly by Smoot, as the obsessions, writing style, and vindictive purpose of the whole thing have Smoot's name written all over them. Whoever is behind "Neville-Neville Land" has been entrenched in hardcore Mopologetics for over a decade. And how terrible would it be if Smoot & Co. blamed the blog on a completely made-up Black man? This would be a scandal that would eclipse even the 2nd Watson Letter fiasco in terms of its dishonesty and lack of scruples.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 pm
I hate to question the inimitable Dr Scratch here, but it feels we’re rewarding someone with this great honor largely because he may or may not be the author of an anti-heartlander blog. If the author is someone else should not this honor go to that person?
Smoot and Robert Boylan have both said publicly that the blog is operated by an African American Latter-day Saint named "Richard Nygren." Meanwhile, Dan Peterson said that he knows the person who's behind the blog. If there really is an African American Mopologist named Richard Nygren--then sure, the award should go to him. It would be easy enough for the apologists to prove this to us, and to make all of us look like fools.

But the greater likelihood is that "Neville-Neville Land" is authored mainly by Smoot, as the obsessions, writing style, and vindictive purpose of the whole thing have Smoot's name written all over them. Whoever is behind "Neville-Neville Land" has been entrenched in hardcore Mopologetics for over a decade. And how terrible would it be if Smoot & Co. blamed the blog on a completely made-up Black man? This would be a scandal that would eclipse even the 2nd Watson Letter fiasco in terms of its dishonesty and lack of scruples.
Ahhh, but if your last sentence were true, might that fiasco attract The 2022 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

malkie wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Ahhh, but if your last sentence were true, might that fiasco attract The 2022 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award?
No: the Golden Scepter goes to a person—not an event. But the event could very well top my Annual Top Ten List.

But the whole thing is interesting to think about it, and as much as I’m sure he’d like to deny it, Dan Peterson is implicated. Has he been supporting an African American apologist’s work all along? He has said that he knows who’s behind it. And DCP has rightly been taken to task for racism before—most notably for posting lynching photos. So, is this his attempt at redemption? Remember: Boylan and Smoot are claiming that a Black man is running “Neville-Neville Land.” The other option is that DCP is covering for some exceptionally disgusting racists. Someone should ask him (or Smoot, or Boylan) about this on their various blogs.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Why not just give the award to Peter Pan, and see who shows up to collect it?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I hope that RFM will have Richard Nygren on his program soon to help clear things up. I’m not entirely convinced that Br. Smoot is Peter Pan.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

For the author of a long-running blog, Richard Nygren has a negligible online footprint.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:19 pm
For the author of a long-running blog, Richard Nygren has a negligible online footprint.
Is there a real Richard Nygren who is a member of the Church? If anyone can find what city he lives in, I can do the rest with a database I subscribe to.

I will give him a call him and ask.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:24 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:19 pm
Is there a real Richard Nygren who is a member of the Church? If anyone can find what city he lives in, I can do the rest with a database I subscribe to.

I will give him a call him and ask.
Birmingham, Alabama, according to Boylan.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Is it known whether anyone's seen the mild-mannered Stephen Smoot and Super Minstrel in the same room at the same time?