18 more temples

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

18 more temples

Post by drumdude »

Since becoming the senior Apostle in 2018, President Nelson has announced 118 new temples.

The Church of Jesus Christ currently has 168 operating temples and another 68 announced, 41 under construction and five undergoing renovation.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ew-temples

Nelson is on track to double the number of operating McDonalds I mean temples across the globe. This seems to be a bit like how, when a man is compensating for something lacking in his life, he goes out and buys a ferrari. On credit. It's unclear how many of these temples will actually make it to existence.

Mormonism can't double its' number of members, but it can surely keep doubling its real-estate portfolio. Many times over, given the amount of gold in scrooge McDuck's vault.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: 18 more temples

Post by Res Ipsa »

If you build it, they will come.

Worked for a baseball field. 🤷🏼‍♂️
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 am
Since becoming the senior Apostle in 2018, President Nelson has announced 118 new temples.

The Church of Jesus Christ currently has 168 operating temples and another 68 announced, 41 under construction and five undergoing renovation.
Nelson is on track to double the number of operating McDonalds I mean temples across the globe. This seems to be a bit like how, when a man is compensating for something lacking in his life, he goes out and buys a ferrari. On credit. It's unclear how many of these temples will actually make it to existence.

Mormonism can't double its' number of members, but it can surely keep doubling its real-estate portfolio. Many times over, given the amount of gold in scrooge McDuck's vault.
Spiritual jaundice.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:28 am

Those that can truthfully answer the temple recommend questions, yes.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:30 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 am

Spiritual jaundice.

Regards,
MG
100% agree. It's completely pathological to build even more temples when the ones already built don't have enough names to do any meaningful work. Assuming the "work" is necessary to begin with.

And just for the sake of argument, if these temples were built to serve more Mormons, then they would all be built in Africa and other 3rd world countries, the only ones where the church is growing.

Instead, we have a 3rd temple in the DFW metroplex. Yes, that was certainly needed to stem the lines around the block of people waiting to sleep through another endowment with recycled names being baptized for the 100th time.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:32 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:28 am

Those that can truthfully answer the temple recommend questions, yes.

Regards,
MG
Those that can correctly answer the temple recommend questions.

I've witnessed many, many people receive temple recommends after lying their way through some of those questions.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am always excited to see more temples being built.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow