More Allegations Of Racial Slurs By BYU Against Visiting Soccer Team

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

More Allegations Of Racial Slurs By BYU Against Visiting Soccer Team

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Here we go again.
Fresh allegations of racist slurs being used at a BYU athletic event have emerged, a month after similar claims involving the Duke volleyball team.

Five women’s soccer players from a visiting team told the Guardian they heard the N-word being directed at them and their teammates from the crowd during a game at BYU in 2021. Players had knelt for the national anthem to protest racial and social injustice when they say they heard shouts from the crowd.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ege-sports
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: More Allegations Of Racial Slurs By BYU Against Visiting Soccer Team

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I don’t believe crap anymore without verifiable evidence after seeing the power word of mouth testimony can have - exhibits A-Z: Joseph Smith, BY, and friends. In cases like this, which are political in nature, if you don’t see a potential ulterior motive from journalists, smear merchants, or even people who hate White religious people you’re probably a partisan. I’m not saying there aren’t people capable of saying things like this at BYU, I’m just saying it’s extremely unlikely such these claims would go unnoticed and unpunished anywhere in the modern era.

I believe BYU Women’s soccer games are televised by BYUtv, and their production quality is top notch, better than ESPN’s current production quality. Past home games should be available to watch through the app. You can hear crowd noise on the broadcast. If there were chants containing the n-word, as alleged, you would be able to hear it on the broadcast if it’s available.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, I’m with DocCam on this one. Show me the evidence. The same standard should apply everywhere.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I checked BYUTV broadcasts of some early fall 2021 games. USC players knelt. Then there is a very brief interaction between a USC player and her coach and then between the USC coach and the BYU coach. The BYU coach then says something to the table. Was an announcement to the crowd made? I can't tell. See 5:25-6:45 here.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

How can you guys possibly doubt the 5 witnesses? As far as I know, these 5 witnesses have never recanted their experiences.

"Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people: that BYU has showered racial slurs against us; and our eyes and ears were opened and we did see and hear and also saw the individuals, all of which had the appearance of BYU students. And this we bear record with words of soberness, and know of a surety of the racial slurs which were spoken unto us. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen and heard. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it."

--The 5 Soccer Players
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 pm
I checked BYUTV broadcasts of some early fall 2021 games. USC players knelt. Then there is a very brief interaction between a USC player and her coach and then between the USC coach and the BYU coach. The BYU coach then says something to the table. Was an announcement to the crowd made? I can't tell. See 5:25-6:45 here.
Tom, good find! It sure looks like that was the incident.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Tom wrote:
BYUtv didn’t broadcast during the national anthem, so I couldn’t say. It appears Keidane McAlpine, the USC coach, was told something by the players and I saw him talk to BYU’s coach who made a wth face. She then talked to the public address guy. I heard an announcement being made, but the tv announcers talked over the address, so I have no idea what was heard. It should be noted a number of USC staff and players are POCs and were on the sideline, so maybe we’ll get more information out of this story as it unfolds.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm
Tom wrote:
Tom, good find! It sure looks like that was the incident.
The incident allegedly happened during the national anthem, which wasn’t broadcast (at least on my end it was cut off for a promo of some BYUtv muppet show, like literally a muppet show).

- Doc
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You can definitely tell there was an announcement made to the crowd.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

My guess is that the chant by BYU fans of "Cougars, Cougars" was misinterpreted.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024