More Allegations Of Racial Slurs By BYU Against Visiting Soccer Team

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: More Allegations Of Racial Slurs By BYU Against Visiting Soccer Team

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:28 pm
My guess is that the chant by BYU fans of "Cougars, Cougars" was misinterpreted.
Why would fans chant “Cougars, Cougars” during the national anthem?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 pm
I checked BYUTV broadcasts of some early fall 2021 games. USC players knelt. Then there is a very brief interaction between a USC player and her coach and then between the USC coach and the BYU coach. The BYU coach then says something to the table. Was an announcement to the crowd made? I can't tell. See 5:25-6:45 here.
you can see what the byu coach says. "what?" then a shake of the head and something like "no i don't think so." the other coach shrugs like he's saying "that's what my players said." i don't read lips, especially behind masks, but the body language was pretty clear.

to give the byu coach credit, she went right to the officials booth and reported something, but they seemed unimpressed.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 pm
You can definitely tell there was an announcement made to the crowd.
You’re right. I can hear the beginning of it, but I can’t make out the substance.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Five women's soccer players from an opposing team are alleging that BYU fans chanted racial slurs at them during a 2021 match, according to the Guardian.

The players revealed to the Guardian that the fans used the N-word after members of this particular team began kneeling during the national anthem. In recent years, many professional and collegiate athletes have knelt during the national anthem as a way to protest social injustice and racism throughout the world.

"I just remember that there was like a consistent chant of 'stand up, N-words' during the anthem and right after," one of the players told the Guardian. "And when brought to the attention of the BYU coaching staff there was no real response or sense of, like, alarm.

"I felt disappointed but not surprised," the same player added. "Backlash for kneeling was not new for our group but to hear that in person was shocking. I think both the fans and coaching staff knew we wouldn't cancel the game after the incident, which once again shows this could be part of a bigger cultural issue within BYU as an institution."

Following these allegations, BYU's associate athletic director for communications and media strategy, Jon McBride, told the Guardian that the school "responded to a concern from the [visiting team] about fan reaction when players knelt during the national anthem" with a public announcement that reminded fans in attendance to be respectful of players' beliefs.

The Guardian also reported that a BYU coach was informed of the chants, and "seemed shocked and did ask" for an announcement to be made at the game.

"We are not aware of any additional concerns being brought up during the game or any time thereafter," McBride added. "As we have stated, BYU will not tolerate racism in any form."

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... er-report/
not sure an announcement to "respect player's beliefs" covers what was alleged.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Oh man… poor byu. What’s going on at women's sports events? Bringing out the worst in cougar fans, sounds like.

How long until mg demands an apology for someone daring to say what they heard?

“How dare they? They owe us an apology.”
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:35 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:28 pm
My guess is that the chant by BYU fans of "Cougars, Cougars" was misinterpreted.
Why would fans chant “Cougars, Cougars” during the national anthem?

- Doc
Good point. Oops!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 am
Oh man… poor byu. What’s going on at women's sports events? Bringing out the worst in cougar fans, sounds like.

I’ve already expressed my views in regards to the specific allegation brought forward by the DUKE player and her godmother and the unfortunate hullabaloo that was the result. I do think that BYU tries their darnedest to move forward in a nondiscriminatory fashion. On the whole, I believe most BYU students, especially as they have become more enlightened, are accepting and tolerant of those different from the mainstream.

I see this thread as being more or less beating a dead horse.

Give BYU the benefit of a doubt instead of constantly looking for reason to backbite or degrade their sports program and school. Build up, rather than tear down. Look for success rather than failure with the knowledge that they, along with other institutions, are moving away from past mistakes and are headed towards a brighter future.

Why all the dark forebodings? Is this simply a common trait among critics? Tearing down rather than building up? Give your fellow man the benefit of a doubt that just like you they also are trying to do better.

But then what would you talk about…

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 am
Why all the dark forebodings?
What forebodings?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 am

he has stated that Mormons need to
...find that balance between their ministerial duties and the duty to not let an abusive monster rule the day.
viewtopic.php?p=2804019#p2804019
in his mind, a "balance" of the duty to stop sex abusing monsters and ministerial duties is appropriate.

In disagreement, i'm of the opinion that there is NO acceptable "balance." There is NO reason to allow sex abuse in exchange for the accomplishment of "ministerial duties."
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:58 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 am
Why all the dark forebodings?
What forebodings?

- Doc
You focus on darkness rather than light.

That is the point of this thread. Read my previous post. I choose to look for the good.

It’s there. In abundance.

Back biting constantly is corrosive to the human spirit.

Regards,
MG