Why Would Anyone Pay To See The Film Witnesses When It Has Been Free Since January?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Why Would Anyone Pay To See The Film Witnesses When It Has Been Free Since January?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:59 pm
I still hope to buy a copy. You never know when something will no longer be available in a decent format. There are CDs I used to own but sold, thinking that I could always repurchase them. Now they are difficult to get and quite expensive. If you have more than a casual interest in Witnesses and the related documentary, you should buy them in hardcopy and hold onto them.
PM me your address and I’ll send you my copy for free. It’s only been watched once.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Why Would Anyone Pay To See The Film Witnesses When It Has Been Free Since January?

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:23 pm
I watched a few minutes. Can't help but notice that DCP-esque sarcasm throughout.

Like when Martin informs Joseph that he referenced the story with each member of the Smith family, and Joseph replies, "Yes we rehearsed very carefully."

Meh.
Agreed. It's also very noticeable in the courtroom scene. Every single line of dialogue is straight from DCP. The scene starts at 48:55 mark:

https://youtu.be/jfaJR5F0FhI?t=2935
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 am
Chloroform in celluloid.
I see what you did there :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

It looks like after 9 months, and immediately after my posting the link, DCP (The Interpreter Foundation) took down the YouTube link. Did DCP only become aware after I posted the link? If so, it looks like an epic fail. That link was up for almost 10 months and had almost 30k views. Just think of all the lost revenue. Probably in the hundreds of thousands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaJR5F0FhI

The funny thing is that Witnesses is still available on YouTube (and several other places online) for free. DCP will have to do his own homework if he wants to take down those links.

Witnesses has been one epic fail after another.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:10 pm
It looks like after 9 months, and immediately after my posting the link, DCP (The Interpreter Foundation) took down the YouTube link. Did DCP only become aware after I posted the link? If so, it looks like an epic fail. That link was up for almost 10 months and had almost 30k views. Just think of all the lost revenue. Probably in the hundreds of thousands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaJR5F0FhI

The funny thing is that Witnesses is still available on YouTube (and several other places online) for free. DCP will have to do his own homework if he wants to take down those links.

Witnesses has been one epic fail after another.
Your links don't work any more. Looks like DCP has been lurking here.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

They should put it up free on Youtube and monetize with advertising.

For the 20 or so minutes I watched, my takeaway is that someone should compensate me for the time.

Even if I still believed the underlying magic story, the film really is an uninspiring parody of the faithful stories told in church, and most scenes I found more applicable fodder for an SNL sketch. Dialogue throughout, with the slightest voice inflections, would turn the whole story into one obvious hoax after another. And actually, the film lands that way in any case. It really is that lame. I would never pay to see it, and have lost all interest in seeing the full movie, even if it was free.