Oaks knowingly misleads Conference on humanitarian spending

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Oaks knowingly misleads Conference on humanitarian spending

Post by IHAQ »

My subject today concerns what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members give and do for the poor and distressed. I will also speak of similar giving by other good people. Giving to those in need is a principle in all Abrahamic religions and in others as well.
A few months ago, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reported for the first time the extent of our humanitarian work worldwide.1 Our 2021 expenditures for those in need in 188 countries worldwide totaled $906 million—almost a billion dollars.
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

That's blatantly untrue. The Church started reporting the extent of its humanitarian work world-wide back in 1985. The Church would produce a fact sheet each year detailing areas and amounts of expenditure. You can see an example from 2009 Here.

The Church stopped reporting the financial amount around 2010 when it started receiving criticism for just how relatively little it spent on helping the poor and the needy. Oaks himself let slip just how little back in 2016 when he said:
In a lecture given last month at the University of Oxford, Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said that each year The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spends about $40 million on welfare, humanitarian and other LDS Church-sponsored projects around the world and has done so for more than 30 years.

That would account for approximately $1.2 billion on welfare and humanitarian efforts over the past 30 years.
https://www.deseret.com/2016/7/12/20591 ... ostle-says

That line "almost a billion dollars" reminded me of "she was in her 15th year".

If Oaks is going to do a financial report, he should do a financial report. Not just cherry pick a number that he thinks makes the Church look good and then falsely present it out of context.
drumdude
God

Re: Oaks knowingly misleads Conference on humanitarian spending

Post by drumdude »

They’re not a charity. They’re a business.