Midge is ready to leave this world

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Midge is ready to leave this world

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 pm
In a sane world, I hope that nobody would respect a 92 year old man who travels halfway around the world to stalk a female scholar. Pity maybe, but never respect.
In a truly sane world, people are capable of reconciling both observations and acting with the appropriate humanity. Under the current cultural tyranny, people want to force us to choose one and omit the other.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 pm
In a sane world, I hope that nobody would respect a 92 year old man who travels halfway around the world to stalk a female scholar. Pity maybe, but never respect.
In a truly sane world, people are capable of reconciling both observations and acting with the appropriate humanity. Under the current cultural tyranny, people want to force us to choose one and omit the other.
In a sane world we can respect the stalker, but hate the stalking.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 am
...I love to travel. But I now need adults around to make sure I do not take a tumble....
In one of his most recent travelogues, he was adamant that when he fell, it was because a person had pushed him from behind, intentionally.

To me, it's a positive sign that he now acknowledges tumbles happen when age increases, without looking for a bad guy. That's definitely an improvement in his storytelling. i hope it lasts.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 pm
In one of his most recent travelogues, he was adamant that when he fell, it was because a person had pushed him from behind, intentionally.

To me, it's a positive sign that he now acknowledges tumbles happen when age increases, without looking for a bad guy. That's definitely an improvement in his storytelling. i hope it lasts.
Very good point! :lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

LOL. Not quite. I don’t see strong evidence of him being a habitual stalker of the kind that others might lazily infer from your caricature. I see a guy who is zealous in defending the LDS Church from a person he sees as fundamentally misunderstanding the LDS Church and also attacking it.

I would say he is definitely overzealous in a way that is worrying, but that does not make him a “stalker.”
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DCP hints at having received his 2nd anointing, maybe Midge is secure in the knowledge having received his as well:
DCP wrote:BLarsen: "Well, how on earth are we to know what a great guy you are, to include all the wonderful things you do, the incredible places you go to . . . on a repeated basis , and the famous well-connected, highly educated people and educators you know and meet with all the time, to include the amazing restaurants and plays you go to and reading clubs you belong to, etc., etc., unless you tell us.

"You have to understand, it makes us feel important just to know you and participate in the wonderful joys of your life. It goes far beyond watching Anthony Bourdain (RIP) or Rick Steves.

"Why deprive your public?? No use being modest . . . a rather outmoded virtue, outside of its sexual implications."

That's the spirit, Brian Laundrie. That's the spirit. You get it.

One caveat, though: Some of the meetings that have meant the most to me will never be mentioned here. Ever. Worlds without end.
Uchtdorf wrote:“This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God. While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation—worlds without end—within our grasp. And it is God’s great desire to help us reach it.”

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, “You Matter to Him,” Ensign, Nov. 2011, 20.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP wrote:One caveat, though: Some of the meetings that have meant the most to me will never be mentioned here. Ever. Worlds without end.
Uchtdorf wrote:“This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God. While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation—worlds without end—within our grasp. And it is God’s great desire to help us reach it.”

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, “You Matter to Him,” Ensign, Nov. 2011, 20.
DCP is an attention craving weirdo. As Sic et Non continues to die on the vine, DCP seems more desperate to drum up attention. Sad.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Midgley is living proof that only the good die young.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Rollo Redux
Nursery

Post by Rollo Redux »

I took one of Midgley’s classes at BYU in the 80’s. It was a disaster. It was supposed to be a Political Science class, but he primarily used it to harangue the so-called “New Mormon History” and those who promoted it, specifically, Mike Quinn, a BYU history professor at the time (I also had a class with him but he stayed on topic). Lou came across as an angry and bitter old man (he was only in his mid-50’s at the time). I guess he enjoyed being a bulldog apologist, but I only saw a sad, unfilled life.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Rollo Redux wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:23 pm
I took one of Midgley’s classes at BYU in the 80’s. It was a disaster. It was supposed to be a Political Science class, but he primarily used it to harangue the so-called “New Mormon History” and those who promoted it, specifically, Mike Quinn, a BYU history professor at the time (I also had a class with him but he stayed on topic). Lou came across as an angry and bitter old man (he was only in his mid-50’s at the time). I guess he enjoyed being a bulldog apologist, but I only saw a sad, unfilled life.
Sounds like he got to do what he loves at the students’ expense. Yikes!