Equality at General Conference?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Equality at General Conference?

Post by doubtingthomas »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 pm
My guess is that the contrary view, that women should be more involved at a senior leadership level, is much more prevalent than you realise.
Wouldn't that increase the gender pay gap? Married women already have two jobs, one is unpaid.

"Due to the Motherhood Penalty, mothers make 58 cents for every dollar paid to fathers. Part of the explanation for this is the fact that women remain more likely than men to take time away from the workforce or to reduce their work hours because of caregiving responsibilities."
https://www.aauw.org/issues/equity/motherhood/
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Let's keep in mind, the average age of first marriage is almost 30. Leadership positions would only be a burden to married moms who have a job.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:32 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:28 am
Here are the scores on the doors for October 2022

36 speakers
4 female speakers (of which only 1 spoke in a Sunday session)
32 male speakers
Using the Oaks method of rounding up as displayed in his humanitarian spending talk, that's nearly 100% male.
:lol:
using their same accounting method, an lds general conference announcement can be made where credit can be claimed for any female speaker who spoke in any other venue in SLC on that day.

Result? Women are equally represented, and we, lds church leadership, humbly announce that we take credit for that!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 pm
I would expect that proportionally we would see more priesthood holders speak.

I wouldn’t expect the number of men vs. women speaking to be proportional to any factors outside of the priesthood leadership.
Why would you expect that?
The church is organized with men in priesthood leadership positions. They have a particular stewardship in the administration of the church. One of those responsibilities is to see that the Lord’s house is set in order and that His word is taught across the world.

Conference provides the opportunity for this to happen.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a good thing that we have gradually seen an uptick in various nationalities and ethnic groups, along with women, preach the word of the Lord over the pulpit at conference.

That should make you happy/hopeful rather than critical, in my opinion. But alas, I don’t really expect any good things that come about in the church to have any impact or effect on your dissatisfaction with the church and its leaders.

Regards,
MG
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm

As I mentioned earlier, it is a good thing that we have gradually seen an uptick in various nationalities and ethnic groups, along with women, preach the word of the Lord over the pulpit at conference.
Most members outside the US don't have a High school equivalent education. Is there at least one General Authority who doesn't have a High school education? It seems God is mostly interested in business leaders.

Stop ignoring my questions.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 pm
women should be more involved at a senior leadership level
All married women or just stay-at-home moms?