Equality at General Conference?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Equality at General Conference?

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:22 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:47 pm

How many speakers from different ethnic and/or racial origins? North Americans vs. everyone else?

Just thinking that you maybe ought to give credit where credit is due. 🙂

The church is international with many different ethnic groups and racial categories. That ought to be recognized along with how many women spoke, in my opinion.

Numbers?

Regards,
MG
Feel free to contribute the data MG. I see Stem has provided the information. What credit do you think is due within the context of that data provided by Stem and within the context that it is 2022, and bearing in mind that the active demographic is predominantly female and living outside of North America?
I would expect that proportionally we would see more priesthood holders speak. What I’m pleased with is the increasing numbers of priesthood leaders from other nationalities and ethnic/racial groups speaking.

That is good.

I wouldn’t expect the number of men vs. women speaking to be proportional to any factors outside of the priesthood leadership. My guess is that if you talked with active, believing women you wouldn’t find that their expectations are any different.

The mountain out of a molehill syndrome mainly exists inside the minds of critics of the church.

Regards,
MG
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 pm
I would expect that proportionally we would see more priesthood holders speak.

I wouldn’t expect the number of men vs. women speaking to be proportional to any factors outside of the priesthood leadership.
Why would you expect that?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
My guess is that if you talked with active, believing women you wouldn’t find that their expectations are any different.
I have talked with active, believing women and their hopes are different. But you're right, they don't expect the men folk to give up their position of male autocracy.
Today, Utah is known for being at the opposite end of the spectrum of women’s equality and rights. Nationally, for example, the gender pay gap is about 18%, meaning women earn 82 cents for every dollar that men do for full-time work. In Utah, it’s 30%, making Utah one of the worst states for women financially.

That’s not the only problem. For the past four years, Utah has earned the dubious distinction of ranking last of all 50 states in terms of women’s equality, determined by 17 metrics, including educational achievement, earning power, representation in government, ownership of business and other factors.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/03 ... f-we-want/
McBaine recently attended a ward conference for her congregation in which there were 37 men on the stand — including the whole stake (regional) high council and many male priesthood leaders — and just one woman, who was directing the hymns.

“There is absolutely no excuse for that,” McBaine said.

“There needs to be a general reassessment of gendered leadership from the top down,” she added. “I don’t know what more we can do on the local level to really change administration. It’s either got to be a massive, global grassroots shift or come from the top down.

“I will say that the next thing that needs to happen is that girls need to pass the sacrament. And soon, or else we’re just going to continue losing my own girls and the girls within their generation.”
My guess is that the contrary view, that women should be more involved at a senior leadership level, is much more prevalent than you realise.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
...I wouldn’t expect the number of men vs. women speaking to be proportional to any factors outside of the priesthood leadership...

well of course sexist decisions are expected to be proportional to the sexism in place. :roll:
My guess is that if you talked with active, believing women you wouldn’t find that their expectations are any different.
i'm sure the women you speak to give you exactly the answer you require from them. Sadly. :roll:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
...I wouldn’t expect the number of men vs. women speaking to be proportional to any factors outside of the priesthood leadership...

well of course sexist decisions are expected to be proportional to the sexism in place. :roll:
i'm sure the women you speak to give you exactly the answer you require from them. Sadly. :roll:
Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 pm
...MG jumps in to troll...And around and around. MG doesn’t give two craps about data, methodology or logic. All he wants is to get people mad. #ignorethetroll
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:

The church is international with many different ethnic groups and racial categories. That ought to be recognized along with how many women spoke, in my opinion.
Church leaders are typically white men who are highly educated. In the first century, none of the original apostles knew how to read and write.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:49 pm
But at the sessions, if you pan through the audience it's mostly white women, and the men there are fighting to keep from nodding off. So that makes up for it.
It is well known that there are more women than men in the church. However, the opposite is true when it comes to young people.

54% of LDS ages 18-29 are men. The gap gets larger when it comes to weekly church attendance and scripture study.
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/re ... ay-saints/

A study found that young women go to church less frequently than young men.
https://byustudies.byu.edu/article/gend ... 2-backlink
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:32 pm
4 female speakers (of which only 1 spoke in a Sunday session)
32 male speakers
It's probably because men have more experience. :D
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:

Just thinking that you maybe ought to give credit where credit is due. 🙂
Just tell them that men have more years of experience.

And the Holy Ghost is into older women.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 pm
My guess is that the contrary view, that women should be more involved at a senior leadership level, is much more prevalent than you realise.
Mainly among the Kate Kelly demographic.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 pm
And for a while, now.
By Jana Riess | Religion News Service
| May 10, 2020, 12:42 p.m.
On my bookshelves I have a copy of the famous 1971 “pink” issue of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, a pioneering effort for Mormon feminists to make themselves heard. Nearly 70 years later, Dialogue’s latest issue builds upon that effort with a special issue guest-edited by the feminist magazine Exponent II.

...Reading the issue, I was struck by two primary observations. One is exciting, and the other is mildly depressing.

The exciting part is that this is not our grandmothers’ Mormon feminism, or our mothers’ — but something bigger. It’s global and interracial.

...In the traditional Western model, women’s exclusion is overt and consistent in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: They don’t hold positions in which key decisions are made, they’re not in charge of dispensing money, the callings they’re given are decided on and supervised by men, and so on. But one of the gifts of intersectional feminism is to show that this traditional Western model is not the only kind of power, as the issue discusses.

So the good news about the state of “Mo fem,” as it’s called, is that it’s expanding and thriving. It’s including more and different kinds of voices, and it’s challenging dominant narratives from the right and the left.

What I found depressing was... my fear that the people who most need to read [these special issues] won’t ever bother.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05 ... atter-day/