The ongoing saga of DCP's malevolent stalkers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: The ongoing saga of DCP's malevolent stalkers

Post by huckelberry »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am

It would be more interesting if his traveling encompassed more than the incredibly mundane touristy choices. New yorkers only do that touristy crap when we have family in town. And it's boring as hell, and in no way explores the most fascinating parts of our area.
Marcus, just because of limited interest in the email stalker I will propose a tourist question. Many years ago I touristed in NY for a spell. I remember MOMA the Met, Philharmonic, crowded streets with suffocating air. I was stunned by the beach further out long Island, packed people to the horizon, a long long long stretch of beach.
( was still a student too poor for fancy restaurants theater or shopping)
What is the touristy stuff or fascinating parts of NY?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm
Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am

It would be more interesting if his traveling encompassed more than the incredibly mundane touristy choices. New yorkers only do that touristy crap when we have family in town. And it's boring as hell, and in no way explores the most fascinating parts of our area.
Marcus, just because of limited interest in the email stalker I will propose a tourist question. Many years ago I touristed in NY for a spell. I remember MOMA the Met, Philharmonic, crowded streets with suffocating air. I was stunned by the beach further out long Island, packed people to the horizon, a long long long stretch of beach.
( was still a student too poor for fancy restaurants theater or shopping)
What is the touristy stuff or fascinating parts of NY?
MOMA the Met, Philharmonic,
Definitely some fascinating, and excellent choices! Those are worth many, many visits. Also the Guggenheim, the NYC Library, the small zoo in Central Park, etc.

I haven't done it in years, but back then we'd stand in line a bit at the TCKT booth in Times Square, to get Broadway tickets at less than half price, and frequently FAR less. i think you can do something similar online now.

Regarding less expensive stuff, the street fairs have pretty decent, cheap food, especially the ones celebrating specific groups or locations.

And I shouldn't be so glib. touristy trips like the statue of liberty ferry and such done for the 40th time are difficult to endure, but they are definitely fascinating and worth it the first couple of times.

Regarding the beaches, you have to know a few tricks. Next time you're in town, i'll be more than happy to send you a list of which Jones and other beach parking areas lead to less crowded beaches. If you're willing to hike in a little (well ok, maybe a lot) and pack in your own water and food, our preference is a pretty secluded little area way at the end of the island. It's never very crowded, and is stunning.

on a personal note, when we were first exploring and our kids were little, we hauled our kiddies and all our blankets, umbrellas, coolers, ice, chairs, the Sunday papers, towels, sand toys, boogie boards, sunscreen, hats, food and water in our sandwagons up a fairly steep dune to get to a new area.

I was so relieved to see ocean that it wasn't until one of my young sons said, "mommy, mommy, nobody has any clothes on" that i realized we had ended up at a nude beach. I was ready to stay, but my husband thought maybe it would be rude to use the beach without taking our clothes off. I didn't have enough sunscreen for all the fair irish skin we mostly had :roll: so we reluctantly retraced the long path and found another area.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Marcus, thanks for the enjoyable reply. I am on the other side of the continent with a spouse not medically up to long travel so I sometimes take imaginary journeys. I can understand what you mention about beaches further out the island. It was over 50 years ago for my visit so I am not clear just how far out the island the beach visit was. I could see the beach was relatively open further out but appeared full of people there to the city visible well into the distance.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think it's neat the way LDS travel companies offer Dr. Peterson and his wife complimentary travel because they know he will be a magnet for other LDS customers (orthodox Mormons could never admit to that because writing the full name of the Church each time is too exhaustive).

So every time Dr. Peterson lounges on the beaches of Tahiti reading books, there will be a plane load of fellow members jam-packed into the Tahiti Temple, making the travel industry solvent and the remnants of Hagoth less hoary.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace