Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

Post by drumdude »

Virtual Fireside on Freemasonry and the Origins of Latter-day Saint Temple Ordinances

As is well known, there are elements of the Nauvoo temple ordinances—for example, some of the signs and tokens and related language—that are almost identical in form to those used in Masonic rites. Since modern Freemasonry is largely an 18th century creation, similarities like these seem to undermine Joseph Smith’s claims that the temple ordinances are ancient, going back to the foundation of the world.

This presentation, based on the new book Freemasonry and the Origins of Latter-day Saint Temple Ordinances, gives an overview of the relationship between the rites of Masonry and temple ordinances in light of precedents in the Bible, ancient sources, and Freemasonry. My hope is that presenting the temple ordinances in the context of the Bible, ancient traditions—with an eye to relevant perspectives from Freemasonry—will make the comparisons more rich and meaningful.

When: October 9 at 7:00 PM MT

What: Virtual Fireside Presentation for Salt Lake City Federal Heights Ward

Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82864934498

For more information: www.templethemes.net, www.interpreterfoundation.org/books/
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

Post by Philo Sofee »

Aw man... this is gonna eat into my live session. But... I will be there! I will cut my session short to watch this because the showdown between Bradshaw (apologetic) and Vogel (historic) and Bruno/Swick/Literski (historic/symbolic/religious/Masonic) is in the making, and as I announced in this morning's "Sunday School" live session, Dan Vogel and I are preparing a series of discussions on my Sunday Night shows on this subject, so Bradshaw will be a sensational new addition to bring into the mix! We live in exciting times!
drumdude
God

Re: Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

Post by drumdude »

Indeed! And I’m very grateful they are making these firesides public, so we don’t have to listen to a poor quality hidden recording of it like in the old days.

We’ll see how long it lasts, we all know the church’s penchant for secrecy.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

The cool thing about Bradshaw is his willingness to look and attempt to grapple with the issues, even if warped by correlation. He will end up on the "orthodox" church side however. I personally just think there is a larger context and once Mormons quit being threatened by the historical truth they will see it's not the Bogey man chasing after their fragile testimonies. The thing that bothers them most is they learn they have been few a faith promoting line and they are scared to get off it for a more fulfilling and realistic truth.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Did anyone get in? The host hasnt responded yet and its 7.45
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

They must have locked it down.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:43 am
They must have locked it down.
:lol: NOT a cult
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I just got word from DCP that you had to know the correct handshake to get in.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:07 am
I just got word from DCP that you had to know the correct handshake to get in.
For those of you that missed it, the correct handshake was the double-fisted back thumper.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dan’s memory must have failed him, he wasn’t able to get into the meeting either and promises us that a recording will be made available. I won’t hold my breath.