Peterson revisits one of his many unfinished projects

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Peterson revisits one of his many unfinished projects

Post by drumdude »

“FCP” wrote: Once or twice here, I’ve mentioned my hope of convening a conference (and of subsequently publishing a collection of the conference papers) in which believing Latter-day Saint scientists can write on how their science and their faith not only co-exist but mutually nourish each other. I’ve spoken with enough of them to know that, for many, the intricacy and the order that they observe on the microcosmic level of atoms and molecules and cells, in the terrestrial phenomena of geology and biology, and on the macrocosmic level of planets, stars, galaxies, and the cosmos itself moves them religiously and inspires them. I’m not looking for the familiar effort to reconcile science and theology, valuable though that is. Rather, I’m hoping for expressions of how science itself can be a kind of religious experience, even a religious vocation — “thinking God’s thoughts after him,” as Kepler said.

Such a conference or volume (preferably both) would, I think, not only help faithful Latter-day Saint non-scientists. It might make science seem less suspect and threatening to non-scientist believers. It might even interest a few able young Latter-day Saints to consider vocations in science — not least and not only by illustrating the fact that science is not intrinsically hostile or contrary to faith and spirituality but might even be an avenue for spiritual experiences.

Within the past month or so, I’ve been specifically encouraged to think about such a conference yet again. Over the past few years, several people have written to me, expressing their interest in participating in the project. Unfortunately, I’ve mislaid the file containing their names. So I’m asking anybody who might still be interested to contact me. Perhaps — I’m embarrassed to say — again. The game is afoot. Or, at least, it may be.

I guess he has given up on the book about Mormonism and science. Or Mormonism and near death experiences. Or Mormonism and atheism. It’s unclear what his book was ever going to be on.

He has set his sights a little lower, content to let others do the work for him at a conference. Let some genuine LDS academics prop up the church for a change!

Unfortunately I imagine most genuine LDS academics aren’t too keen on publicly associating closely with the BYU professors who have whored themselves out to defend the church… but who knows!
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Peterson revisits one of his many unfinished projects

Post by Philo Sofee »

And yet, and yet.... I for one, would be seriously curious and interested in seeing what ideas would be generated by such a conference. Were he not such a judgmental dolt (dontcha love my ironic hypocrisy here?) I would myself volunteer to perhaps make a contribution. I am, however, more likely (by a rather huge probability) to just do it on my own on my live sessions where it can be recorded and watched at a persons own convenience.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I would love to hear an LDS astronomer exclaim, "Uranus testifies of Christ".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:29 am
I guess he has given up on the book about Mormonism and science. Or Mormonism and near death experiences. Or Mormonism and atheism. It’s unclear what his book was ever going to be on.
Maybe he can't find any sources to plagiarize on these subjects.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I wouldn’t mind listening to testimony at the conference from a scientist about how his scientific investigation of the secret of Skinwalker Ranch moves him religiously and inspires him.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857