Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by Kukulkan »

JP, where art thou?
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:00 pm
All good questions but none I am willing to go into on a public forum.

When the facts do come out, I expect many may be shocked at the disparity with the Jenn Kamp they think they know.

I know I was.
But you have stated publicly that you have "reviewed" the "documentary evidence."

If you are willing to state your conclusions about this evidence you've reviewed, can you also give some specifics about the evidence you reviewed?

Did the Open Stories Foundation Board respond in writing to Kamp's claim that they violated their own anti-retaliation policy? Did the Open Stories Foundation Board respond in writing to her original complaints before they informed her she was terminated? Can you give us the dates of those written communications?

I ask about their responses "in writing" because you have clearly indicated you have read "documents." Please share what you know. It's obviously not confidential material because you have shared that you (a non-participant in the events) were allowed read it and you have shared your conclusions based on your reading, so please, share your knowledge.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sorry to insert myself, but I am guessing RFM or Mormonism Live! may have coverage of Kamp's accusation and the related evidence. I have not been told this, but I think it is a reasonable hypothesis given past history and what consiglieri has been saying here.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I think I have shared enough for now.

We have to leave something for the wedding night.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Really? You make vague, unverified statements, which is exactly what Kamp is being accused of, both of you ostensibly to drum up business for your various podcasts. She is castigated for this, and you make tasteless jokes about waiting for the wedding night. What a world we live in.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I think it is always important to expect the person who makes a positive claim to produce their evidence first. Kamp made the initial accusation. Let Kamp be expected to provide the evidence supporting the initial claim. I don't think it is at all unfair to let Kamp and those who have watched her video know that the opposition is ready with its own evidence to contradict those claims. I don't think they are obliged to share that counter-evidence in advance just because people want to see it. Kamp, as the one making the allegation, bears a different burden.

What have we learned from the Mopologists about claims and evidence? They make claims, do not produce the evidence, and then demand that we prove their claims wrong. I'm sorry, but I don't play that game.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

A different viewpoint one could take is that two parties are both making affirmative statements, and neither has produced evidence. It seems obvious one is restricted by their lawyer in what statements to make and in my opinion probably shouldn't have said anything; the other is implying with tasteless jokes that they have access to documents that may or may not be confidential, available, or even real.

There is nothing further to conclude until the evidence is available.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:03 pm
We have to leave something for the wedding night.
My man. We get it. You like to fuuuuuuuuuck.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:08 pm
A different viewpoint one could take is that two parties are both making affirmative statements, and neither has produced evidence. It seems obvious one is restricted by their lawyer in what statements to make and in my opinion probably shouldn't have said anything; the other is implying with tasteless jokes that they have access to documents that may or may not be confidential, available, or even real.

There is nothing further to conclude until the evidence is available.
I cannot read a sealed book.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 am
Did the Open Stories Foundation Board respond in writing to Kamp's claim that they violated their own anti-retaliation policy?
I am curious about this as well.

Not surprisingly, it is VERY common for underperforming employees to become agitated and disruptive, raising all sorts of complaints in the process of being shown the door. I think it's more than blame-shifting the problem to the employer, although that is a significant outcome (along with the predictable anti-retaliation lawsuits). There is also cognitive dissonance people naturally feel when they pour their heart into a job, only to be informed that they're not great at the job. This is especially acute in startups, where a single wrongly-fitted employee can sink the ship.

Usually these lawsuits go nowhere, if the documentation exists. Or to save everyone time and hassle, the company may try to settle. But most companies hold the line and threaten to drag it out, for good reason because corrective action documentation is incredibly strong evidence against claims of retaliation for complaints such as Jenn's.

So if the objective reality is that Jenn was not a good fit, not getting the job done, or not working hard enough, that should be documented in various direct feedback and/or corrective action emails. Those things are composed in a certain way -- specific, direct, in context of professional feedback, what is wrong and what would need to improve for the employee-employer relationship to continue.

If that documentation doesn't exist, then John is still the idiot he was in the Rosebud days. This isn't to say I think RFM has that documentation. I highly doubt it. That's where all the leverage is and John would only harm himself and Open Stories Foundation by leaking them to the public.