Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by Dr Exiled »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:59 am
Real talk: Why do you defend John so ardently? I don’t get devil’s advocate vibes or that you are just trying to keep things interesting, but that you earnestly going to bat for the dude. I don’t understand why you’d do this for someone who is so consistently absurd in their behavior.
Consig is a lawyer as well and naturally will defend a friend. There is the possibility of a professional relationship, also. Public defendants need a public defense and hiring someone to help in doing that is common.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:15 pm

I said a lot of things I wouldn't say now in the rosebud thread. She was (in my mind) accusing Dehlin of actual rape. I believe she was even behind the website calling Dehlin a pedophile.

I think that's the place Consig was commenting from, I know it was for me. We didn't want to see someone who was innocent of the charges defamed like that without rebuttal.

But I would treat it much differently now. Looking back there was way too much dogpiling, and all of it because she fit the stereotype of a "lying/crazy/bitter scorned woman."
I believe I've forgotten more about the Rosebud debacle then I remember. I don't remember the rape or pedophile accusations. I think I concluded basically differently than most others on the topic except possibly Marcus (as I recall we mostly agreed in the end, but I know I had to overlook tons of the meta-talk to get there). But yes, there were a lot of problems with the whole case involving Rosebud and she wasn't doing herself any favors. And its understandable that any one of us will say things we regret later. I know I have. Hopefully we feel some sense of regret and try to do better and apologize when appropriate. But continued jokes about women, playing off old misogynistic tropes? Blah...Not even a little silly if you ask me. Its marginalizing, childish, and many other unfavorable things.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Lowrance wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:18 pm

The problem I have with RFM and others who enjoy religious denigration is that they fail to appreciate the importance of protecting people's right to practice their faith freely. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, "it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God." RFM and other con artists recognize the truth in what Thomas Jefferson so eloquently stated, but they know there's no profit to be made from Jefferson's optimistic worldview. If RFM wants to attract more listeners and, by extension, more customers, he needs to highlight the negative aspects of Mormonism. To use an analogy, he and John are the Al Sharptons of exmormonism.
Al Sharpton makes money because of his religion not because he argues against it. You basically disproved your whole point by invoking him.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:59 am
consiglieri wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:53 am
When the evidence comes out, I think it will show quite the reverse—that the one who wanted Maven fired wasn’t John…
Real talk: Why do you defend John so ardently? I don’t get devil’s advocate vibes or that you are just trying to keep things interesting, but that you earnestly going to bat for the dude. I don’t understand why you’d do this for someone who is so consistently absurd in their behavior.
I feel like consig. is being gaslit a bit on these themes. The conversation here for the past few pages is about how much he defends John Dehlin and why, with words like "ardently" being thrown around. In the current case, what exactly has he done or said? I can only think of the following:

Released a reading of John Dehlin's counter-claim.
Released a recording of a board meeting.
Written a few comments here where where he it might seem that he implicitly backs in this case John Dehlin which puts emphasis on wait for the evidence. No mass persuasive maneuvers or fanfare, just wait for the evidence.

If someone was ardently defending me or going to bat for me, I'd hope they'd do some more arguing in the public arena than just reading my claim and telling people to wait for the evidence to come out. He could have delved into the board meeting video and all the challenges that that presents for JK, but all he did was just leave it out there and asked people to wait for the evidence.

Consig is a big boy and can surely look after himself. I just don't see the connection between his described behaviour and the reality, with regards to the JK topic specifically. I might have a different take on his involvement in the Rosebud situation, but that was his first foray into Dehlinogetics, so you can't really say it's because he always comes out to bat for John Dehlin. Other than Rosebud, has Consig been out batting for John Dehlin in other instances?

All that said, there are few parts of the Book of Mormon (the book, not the film) that resonate with me more, than what it has to say about lawyers.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I think most of us are drawing the conclusions based on the rosebud stuff as well, not just the current stuff.

Consig isn’t going as hard defending Dehlin this time around, but also the allegations being made are not as serious.

Jenn says she has even dropped the lawsuit once realizing John will use donor money to fight her. Sounds like they should both just go their separate ways.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

master_dc wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:14 pm
I mean, he has a business relationship with him, there are joint podcasts, Consig speaks at Open Stories Foundation (Thrive) events. And in the case of Maven, she also works with Consig, and i interpret it as him standing up for a colleague.

This is why you need to read Consig's John Dehlin posts with all of this in mind.
Exactly, why hitch your wagon to a guy that eventually down the road you are going to have to disavow and publicly distance yourself from? What are we on here, the fourth or fifth woman who has publicly come out against John and his organization?

Do you wait to be actually choking on smoke before concluding there is a fire?
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:20 pm
Consig is a lawyer as well and naturally will defend a friend. There is the possibility of a professional relationship, also. Public defendants need a public defense and hiring someone to help in doing that is common.
But Consig isn’t part of John’s legal team, or he wouldn’t even be posting about it at all.

pistolero wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:38 pm
I feel like consig. is being gaslit a bit on these themes. The conversation here for the past few pages is about how much he defends John Dehlin and why, with words like "ardently" being thrown around.
Consig has been going to bat for John for a while now. In fact, he spent a good deal of effort picking apart Rosebud’s allegations to the degree you’d expect from church apologists going after Martha Beck.

Now given that Dehlin has actually humble bragged about being propositioned by women in an interview with John Larsen and has made a lot of really skeevy remarks about sex in various podcasts (e.g. his Tony the Tiger “Sex is Grrrrrrrrrrreat” moment w/Natasha Helfer), is that really the kinda guy you want to be deconstructing a mentally ill woman’s narrative for?
pistolero wrote:
In the current case, what exactly has he done or said?
Let's go back to page one and go from there:
consiglieri wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:00 pm
Is it just me, or did J/K just publicly announce how badly she was treated by John and Open Stories Foundation without presenting one salient fact?

Who does this remind me of?

It’s on the tip of my tongue…
Right out the gate, he is already suggesting Jenn Kamp is to be associated with Rosebud. Just another silly, high strung, bitch out to smear John Dehlin.

Oh, how about this one:
consiglieri wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:52 pm
Looks like Jenn Kamp removed two-thirds of the comments on her YouTube video while I slept.

From 90 last night to 30.

Kitchens can get hot, I suppose.
Imagine that, someone moderating the comment section. Given that women routinely get called all sorts of crude things on the internet, it doesn’t surprise me comments are being deleted. Don’t forget that John Dehlin has requested his fans to screenshot any allegations made against him, so not the kinda guy you want people saying wild things about in the comments section of your video announcing your impending litigation against him.

But that isn’t the inference Consig wants to people to take away from his comment; he wants you to think Jenn has something to hide.
consiglieri wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:09 pm
Winter is coming.
The man is literally making GoT references in 2022 on behalf of John Dehlin.

On behalf of a man who posts pictures of his toes while taking a bubble bath and puts it on his very public social media accounts while serving as the public face of a non-profit because he has obvious boundary issues and constantly overshares.
pistolero wrote:
If someone was ardently defending me or going to bat for me, I'd hope they'd do some more arguing in the public arena than just reading my claim and telling people to wait for the evidence to come out.
How about bluntly stating she has committed defamation?
consiglieri wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:54 pm
I think Jenn Kamp is doing her level-headed best to give Open Stories Foundation fodder for their inevitable defamation counterclaim.
Spoiler Alert! Consig said the above in response to you, Pistolero. Tell me more about gaslighting.

But hey, just for fun, this is John’s personal Facebook page:

He “annually” has to repost blog articles about being “smeared” that actually includes a photo of him as his wife. He routinely shares this kinda stuff on the very same account he tags family members in, like when he drops in on his daughter at her workplace to take a selfie.

Is this how a person with a healthy sense of boundaries behaves? Does it make you confident that no matter how the Jenn Kamp issue is legally resolved, there won’t be any more problems going forward? Do you think a guy with a PhD in Psychology might pause for a bit of reflection and say to himself, “No John, this isn’t healthy”?
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

I mean look at this statement that is ostensibly coming from an organization that wants to be taken seriously. At the very end of it is attached images that are basically shallow Instagram memes like this:

If DCP put that Brené Brown quote up on his blog, we’d be raking him over the coals for being shallow and ridiculous and having a good laugh about it. John Dehlin does it on behalf of Open Stories Foundations and now its “WINTER IS COMING JEN KAMP!”

W.T.F.

Do you know what kind of person attaches a selfie to a public statement denying all sorts of unsavory allegations? Not the kind you want heavily involved in your organization. How many red flags do you need to see before distancing yourself from this guy? The guy is literally co-opting a famous Ted Talk about being vulnerable in the very same breath he is denying allegations of misconduct. He isn’t being mocked for his appearance or being shamed because someone discovered his wife’s OnlyFans or something like that, he is being criticized for bad behavior.

This isn’t even subtle, it is just crass manipulation.

So yeah, Consig, why do you textually fellate a walking ego in a skinsuit? How are you falling for this?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:07 pm
I mean look at this statement that is ostensibly coming from an organization that wants to be taken seriously. At the very end of it is attached images that are basically shallow Instagram memes like this:

If DCP put that Brené Brown quote up on his blog, we’d be raking him over the coals for being shallow and ridiculous and having a good laugh about it. John Dehlin does it on behalf of Open Stories Foundations and now its “WINTER IS COMING JEN KAMP!”

W.T.F.

Do you know what kind of person attaches a selfie to a public statement denying all sorts of unsavory allegations? Not the kind you want heavily involved in your organization. How many red flags do you need to see before distancing yourself from this guy? The guy is literally co-opting a famous Ted Talk about being vulnerable in the very same breath he is denying allegations of misconduct. He isn’t being mocked for his appearance or being shamed because someone discovered his wife’s OnlyFans or something like that, he is being criticized for bad behavior.

This isn’t even subtle, it is just crass manipulation.

So yeah, Consig, why do you textually fellate a walking ego in a skinsuit? How are you falling for this?
That’s an excellent observation, Dr. Stak. Back on pg 26 I wrote:
He only has himself to blame at this point; he needs to hire professionals to do the jobs they’re hired to do. Period. Bringing in strays off the street and giving them access to a business world they’ve never had access to is a recipe for disaster. One time, sure. Mistakes happen. Weird for a guy who worked in the “c-suite” corporate world, but ok. He’s launching a thing.

Two times? Hrm. Something’s up.

Three and four times? That’s a you problem, bro.
I have to admit I warmed up to his interviews recently, but the crap show he and the Open Stories Foundation have been running has been so amateurish that it’s a problem. It’s kind of like trying to be a Washington football club fan, but Daniel Snyder makes you feel dirty for watching his product (or Tesla/Twitter and Musk - you get the idea).

Once the viewer gets past any notion of altruism, and realizes Mormon Stories is a product, then we’d at least like the product not to be produced by clowns. Make it professional, man. Keep it professional, man.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:05 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:20 pm
But Consig isn’t part of John’s legal team, or he wouldn’t even be posting about it at all.
Actually you can in certain circumstances and I think Consigs comments fit within the Rule cited hereinbelow:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/prof ... publicity/

However, Consig is also a journalist and could very well be acting in that capacity. Anyway, Jenn Kamp is a train wreck. She obviously over uses the emotion card to get her way and Dehlin had every right to let her go, especially after she recorded him. Who does that and still expects to have a job afterward? Even so, I don't particularly like John Dehlin's show as I already know the issues he discusses and I don't much care for the run of the mill exit story any more.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
pistolero wrote:
I feel like consig. is being gaslit a bit on these themes. The conversation here for the past few pages is about how much he defends John Dehlin and why, with words like "ardently" being thrown around.
Consig has been going to bat for John for a while now. In fact, he spent a good deal of effort picking apart Rosebud’s allegations to the degree you’d expect from church apologists going after Martha Beck.

Now given that Dehlin has actually humble bragged about being propositioned by women in an interview with John Larsen and has made a lot of really skeevy remarks about sex in various podcasts (e.g. his Tony the Tiger “Sex is Grrrrrrrrrrreat” moment w/Natasha Helfer), is that really the kinda guy you want to be deconstructing a mentally ill woman’s narrative for?
pistolero wrote:
In the current case, what exactly has he done or said?
Let's go back to page one and go from there:
Let's just pretend that when I said "current case", I was referring to the one that JK filed on 17 January 2023. I'm quite happy to stand by my comments regarding Consig's public behaviour in this time period.

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Is this how a person with a healthy sense of boundaries behaves? Does it make you confident that no matter how the Jenn Kamp issue is legally resolved, there won’t be any more problems going forward? Do you think a guy with a PhD in Psychology might pause for a bit of reflection and say to himself, “No John, this isn’t healthy”?
I would describe your post as a display of "ardent" passion regarding John Dehlin. It was well researched with important data points to support your conclusions. Well done!

Going forward there very well could be problems, or there might not be? When does he become rich enough to retire and disappear? I'm not sure I'm defending John Dehlin to that extent. I'm just looking at the statements out there regarding the defamation claim and trying to make sense of what is and what isn't supported by the evidence. Anything more than that, I can't make certain comments. The Rosebud situation is in the back of my mind the whole time this is discussed, and it I were to take a Bayesian approach to this, it would form part of my prior, but at the moment, the likelihood, based on some of the available evidence is dominating. I will update my beliefs as more and more data becomes available.