Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:43 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:30 pm
There are so many Mormons salivating at the thought of Dehlin being taken down by this.

Unfortunately they’ve given it their best shot and no one cares. And they’re left looking like the a-holes they are for using a woman for their own ends.
I don't much care for anyone who salivates at the thought of other people being taken down and I mean any other people. I don't wish ill to any one of the people we tangle with. I hope that Rosebud thrives. I hope that Jenn Kamp finds all success and happiness. I hope that our friends in Mopologetics do well and lead rewarding lives. I do not want to see anyone "taken down."

The desire to see others taken down is a sickness of the soul.
It ended up being DCP's undoing at the Maxwell Institute. It seems to have done major damage to Rosebud's life. I don't see this ending well for Jenn Kamp either.

There's something about John that really gets people worked up, either for him or against him.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Death Button wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:29 pm
You are non-binary. You are welcome.
In some places, there really is no binary. Now you are welcome.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:43 pm

I don't much care for anyone who salivates at the thought of other people being taken down and I mean any other people. I don't wish ill to any one of the people we tangle with. I hope that Rosebud thrives. I hope that Jenn Kamp finds all success and happiness. I hope that our friends in Mopologetics do well and lead rewarding lives. I do not want to see anyone "taken down."

The desire to see others taken down is a sickness of the soul.
As far as I'm aware everyone wants someone taken down. Otherwise we'd all be encouraging despots, sexual abusers and fraudsters. Some seem to think, and maybe Rosebud is one, that Dehlin ought to be taken down for the offenses he's committed. Others, perhaps Consiglieri fits here as an example, think there's nothing to criticize him for and that seems to translate into attacking anyone who dare question or criticize Dehlin, at least if they are women and Jpatterson. I'm just hoping he'd learn from his mistakes. That seems fair considering his level of influence in the ex-Mormon world. unfortunately all signs indicate he's gonna keep doing what he's been doing and that's likely the case since he has adamant defenders poised, often, to level attacks at his critics. I guess I'm reiterating the point that Dehlin acts and has set up his business to respond much like the Church does.

It'd be nice if we had a few more people who can reach him, wave at him and be like, "hey, my good sir, you might want to step it back a bit and start paying attention to what you're doing, particularly as it's relates to your dealing with women or your critics."

But I all too often seek for a dream world.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm
As far as I'm aware everyone wants someone taken down.
Perhaps that is true, but I don't think it is wise. I think it is important to question the wisdom of all of this. I can agree that most decent people want others to stop doing evil and destructive things and instead do good and constructive things, but do we really need to see the people themselves "taken down"? I don't think so.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:

...It'd be nice if we had a few more people who can reach him, wave at him and be like, "hey, my good sir, you might want to step it back a bit and start paying attention to what you're doing, particularly as it's relates to your dealing with women or your critics."

But I all too often seek for a dream world.
And a lovely one at that. Well said.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:32 pm
There's something about John that really gets people worked up, either for him or against him.
That is by design; this is how Dehlin and his Foundation are building and expanding their brand. The man didn’t get a terminal degree in clinical psychology to settle into a private therapy practice or working in a clinic, nor will you find him laboring away in some research initiative with similarly credentialed colleagues. The man doesn’t conduct himself as a private citizen going about his life, but rather exists as a public persona to always be associated with Mormonism in some fashion.

You can clearly see him doing this all the way back in 2016 when he latched onto Tyler Glenn like a mollusk as a means to insert himself in front of audiences and post cringe selfies with no self awareness whatsoever.

He uses other people for credibility, whether they are stanning for him or schizoposting about him on social media.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

dastardly stem wrote:
It'd be nice if we had a few more people who can reach him, wave at him and be like, "hey, my good sir, you might want to step it back a bit and start paying attention to what you're doing, particularly as it's relates to your dealing with women or your critics."
And this would be the face looking back at you:

That is circa 2018 during the Sam Young debacle. Because this is how you help with child abuse and it's systematic coverup, with airport selfies with a vacant and souless stare juxtaposed with emojis displaying emotion. He attended a vigil for Sam Young, but there was no vigil for the kids. Why would there be? Victims are merely a means to an explicitly business related end. You can't look at that photo and tell me there is something genuine in it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. Look at that.

I wonder what the liminal space between an attention-seeking personality and histrionic personality disorder is called?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 pm

Huh. Look at that.

I wonder what the liminal space between an attention-seeking personality and histrionic personality disorder is called?

- Doc
DiscussMormonism.com
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 pm

- Doc
DiscussMormonism.com
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.