Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by drumdude »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:26 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:54 pm

I follow the evidence, not the personalities.

I’m surprised how little you think of me.

Oh, well.

Pep! Pep!
I hold you in high esteem. Admittedly I feel disappointed each time I see a misogynistic jab directed at Marcus. But I think you generally follow the evidence. I don’t necessarily think your apologetics on behalf of Dehlin disqualifies you as one who doesn’t follow evidence. Maybe not for him…but that’s alright. As I suggested earlier my take seems pretty much in line with Dr Stak.

I’ve consumed much of your material and have donated to your cause. I wouldn’t do that if I thought little of you.
I donated to Dehlin back in the day. Now Dehlin is so jumpy about any criticism that I don’t think he can take real pushback from anyone without thinking it’s some bad faith enemy out to get him.

He has never publicly admitted to cheating on Maggie. He did an entire bizarre interview with his wife where they completely glossed over what he did to her. She cried about how hard it was and couldn’t say what *it* was. Because he only talks about it in the vaguest of terms.

Until he is honest, all the bull about being “an ally” is just talk. It’s pandering to the idea of bettering himself rather than actually doing the difficult thing and admitting what he did wrong.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Publicly admitted to cheating on his spouse? Are you for real? I would have to say that the less I feel in touch with the personal life of Dehlin or any other podcaster whom I do not know personally outside of their shows the better. What is this illness that makes people demand to be in everyone’s personal business?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm
What is this illness that makes people demand to be in everyone’s personal business?
Every member a bishop?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm
Publicly admitted to cheating on his spouse? Are you for real? I would have to say that the less I feel in touch with the personal life of Dehlin or any other podcaster whom I do not know personally outside of their shows the better. What is this illness that makes people demand to be in everyone’s personal business?
He chose to interview his wife. I didn’t hold a gun to his head and make him do that episode. He makes a living getting in peoples personal business and criticizing church leaders.

Contrast Dehlin with John Larsen and you’ll immediately see the difference. Larsen laid it all out on the table and no one cared.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 pm
He chose to interview his wife. I didn’t hold a gun to his head and make him do that episode. He makes a living getting in peoples personal business and criticizing church leaders.

Contrast Dehlin with John Larsen and you’ll immediately see the difference. Larsen laid it all out on the table and no one cared.
I really don’t care about John Larsen or how great you think he is. He can or cannot talk about his ex-wife as much or as little as he likes. Same with Dehlin. They owe me nothing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

dastardly stem wrote:
consiglieri wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:54 pm

I follow the evidence, not the personalities.

I’m surprised how little you think of me.

Oh, well.

Pep! Pep!
I hold you in high esteem. Admittedly I feel disappointed each time I see a misogynistic jab directed at Marcus. But I think you generally follow the evidence. I don’t necessarily think your apologetics on behalf of Dehlin disqualifies you as one who doesn’t follow evidence. Maybe not for him…but that’s alright. As I suggested earlier my take seems pretty much in line with Dr Stak.

I’ve consumed much of your material and have donated to your cause. I wouldn’t do that if I thought little of you.
Thanks, Stem!

Rest assured any jabs I throw at Marcus have nothing to do with her gender.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
... Admittedly I feel disappointed each time I see a misogynistic jab directed at Marcus...
consiglieri wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:11 pm
...Rest assured any jabs I throw at Marcus have nothing to do with her gender.
:roll:

I feel disappointed each time I see a misogynistic jab from this poster as well.
Last edited by Marcus on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:09 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 pm

I really don’t care about John Larsen or how great you think he is. He can or cannot talk about his ex-wife as much or as little as he likes. Same with Dehlin. They owe me nothing.
Well I’m certainly glad he has your permission to talk or not talk. And we’ve cleared up the issue about what he owes you.

I’m not sure why Dehlin makes people so upset, I’m just stating simple uncomfortable facts about a public figure. If John can’t take the criticism maybe he should stop podcasting?

I’m reminded of the recent South Park episode where the royals go on a global privacy tour. John Dehlin demands privacy oh and also he wants to be in your YouTube feed.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What did John Larsen lay out on the table?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:07 pm
What did John Larsen lay out on the table?
He and his wife were cohosts of the podcast. His wife was as big a part of the show as he was. They talked candidly about their marital problems, and didn’t try to hide their personal faults.

A large part of it was them acknowledging the trope that ex-Mormons’ lives fall apart after leaving the church. It happens. Leaving the church often has extremely negative consequences. It looks bad for ex-Mormons, but it was important to John to show the truth. The church bound them together at an early age and once they left that artificial tie was broken.

There’s literally nothing for John Larsen to be “fair gamed” on because he’s been so transparent about his life. Dehlin on the other hand, we wouldn’t know that rosebud was partially telling the truth without the text messages she leaked.