Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:07 pm
What did John Larsen lay out on the table?
He and his wife were cohosts of the podcast. His wife was as big a part of the show as he was. They talked candidly about their marital problems, and didn’t try to hide their personal faults.

A large part of it was them acknowledging the trope that ex-Mormons’ lives fall apart after leaving the church. It happens. Leaving the church often has extremely negative consequences. It looks bad for ex-Mormons, but it was important to John to show the truth. The church bound them together at an early age and once they left that artificial tie was broken.

There’s literally nothing for John Larsen to be “fair gamed” on because he’s been so transparent about his life. Dehlin on the other hand, we wouldn’t know that rosebud was partially telling the truth without the text messages she leaked.
Ah. Thanks. Much respect to JL. crap went sideways hard for me and it took me a long time and a lot of baby steps to iron out my personal life (not saying a LOT didn’t go right, though). I don’t know that I’d want to be in the public eye for a myriad of reasons, so how all these people do it is kind of fascinating. I thought Dr. Stak made some salient observations recently, so maybe that has something to do with it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:07 pm
What did John Larsen lay out on the table?
He and his wife were cohosts of the podcast. His wife was as big a part of the show as he was. They talked candidly about their marital problems, and didn’t try to hide their personal faults.

A large part of it was them acknowledging the trope that ex-Mormons’ lives fall apart after leaving the church. It happens. Leaving the church often has extremely negative consequences. It looks bad for ex-Mormons, but it was important to John to show the truth. The church bound them together at an early age and once they left that artificial tie was broken.

There’s literally nothing for John Larsen to be “fair gamed” on because he’s been so transparent about his life. Dehlin on the other hand, we wouldn’t know that rosebud was partially telling the truth without the text messages she leaked.
He has also been transparent on his struggles with mental health for his children. He also recognizes and admits to being an asshole when his emotions get the best of him.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

And I don’t have a problem with John Dehlin not being open with his life, except for the fact that he emphasizes donating to Mormon Stories and having informed consent.

We are all very well informed about the Mormon church. How many of John’s donors are well informed about the rosebud affair? Especially when he is a life coach and therapist who is presumably helping vulnerable people navigate situations where he specifically made some very wrong choices himself.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:02 pm
Well I’m certainly glad he has your permission to talk or not talk. And we’ve cleared up the issue about what he owes you.
Where did I say anything about permission, dude?

Learn to read, why don’t you?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:51 pm
And I don’t have a problem with John Dehlin not being open with his life, except for the fact that he emphasizes donating to Mormon Stories and having informed consent.

We are all very well informed about the Mormon church. How many of John’s donors are well informed about the rosebud affair? Especially when he is a life coach and therapist who is presumably helping vulnerable people navigate situations where he specifically made some very wrong choices himself.
Sure you don’t have a problem. You seem to have a lot of not having a problem going on there.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:57 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:51 pm

Sure you don’t have a problem. You seem to have a lot of not having a problem going on there.
Can you read to the end of the sentence?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Again, I'm just posting my criticism of John Dehlin as it relates to his treatment of women as is the topic of the thread. Anyone is free to take or not take it. I just don't get the need to stand up for Dehlin, someone who has a voice orders of magnitude stronger than all of us combined.

I'm really not saying anything controversial, and I'm not accusing him of rape or pedophilia. I'm calling a spade a spade here.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

drumdude wrote:
I’m not sure why Dehlin makes people so upset, I’m just stating simple uncomfortable facts about a public figure. If John can’t take the criticism maybe he should stop podcasting?
That is because John Dehlin has been laboring away for years to create this exact state of affairs, this is how you stay relevant. If people aren’t talking about you across multiple social media platforms, then what you say and do doesn’t matter. The kind of metrics Dehlin cares about can’t penetrate things like HIPPA or make it past the scrutiny of research ethics committees. You don’t get the New York Times or minor Utah Celebs contacting you if you are laboring away in the obscurity of private practice helping people conduct CBT exercises and constantly being behind on session notes.

I got physically uncomfortable watching John’s wife rehearse those carefully selected euphemisms for infidelity, because you could clearly see the amount of emotional pain the issue still caused her and it was readily apparent she had not “moved past” it. Still, John put her in front of that camera and had her do the whole routine and the worst part is that the ex-mo community, across all fronts, just sort of ignored it and carried on as if this incredibly f’ed up incident didn’t happen.

But hey, Rosebud. Amirite?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:52 am
drumdude wrote:
I’m not sure why Dehlin makes people so upset, I’m just stating simple uncomfortable facts about a public figure. If John can’t take the criticism maybe he should stop podcasting?
That is because John Dehlin has been laboring away for years to create this exact state of affairs, this is how you stay relevant. If people aren’t talking about you across multiple social media platforms, then what you say and do doesn’t matter. The kind of metrics Dehlin cares about can’t penetrate things like HIPPA or make it past the scrutiny of research ethics committees. You don’t get the New York Times or minor Utah Celebs contacting you if you are laboring away in the obscurity of private practice helping people conduct CBT exercises and constantly being behind on session notes.

I got physically uncomfortable watching John’s wife rehearse those carefully selected euphemisms for infidelity, because you could clearly see the amount of emotional pain the issue still caused her and it was readily apparent she had not “moved past” it. Still, John put her in front of that camera and had her do the whole routine and the worst part is that the ex-mo community, across all fronts, just sort of ignored it and carried on as if this incredibly f’ed up incident didn’t happen.

But hey, Rosebud. Amirite?

Thank you for saying this much more eloquently than I have been doing.

That interview with his wife really changed my entire view of him.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:19 am
Can you read to the end of the sentence?
Better than you.