Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by KevinSim »

Much to my delight, I have discovered that, among all the numerous atheists on this forum, there are a few Biblical Christians. In particular, Jersey Girl and Msnobody appear to be Biblical Christians, and I suppose there may be more that I haven't noticed. I'm not going to ignore any atheists who respond to this post, but I'm really addressing it to those few Biblical Christians. Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
Rivendale
God

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by Rivendale »

Because God is divinely hidden due to Epistemic Distance . Elder Bednar was asked recently what he thought of most Christian religions and he said they are deceived. And when pressed about his own beliefs being deceived he just said you have to have faith. Okay.....
huckelberry
God

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by huckelberry »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:54 pm
Much to my delight, I have discovered that, among all the numerous atheists on this forum, there are a few Biblical Christians. In particular, Jersey Girl and Msnobody appear to be Biblical Christians, and I suppose there may be more that I haven't noticed. I'm not going to ignore any atheists who respond to this post, but I'm really addressing it to those few Biblical Christians. Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
For some 1800 years God did not think it useful or appropriate to choose the leaders of the LDS church. Of course that does not determine that come early 1800 a new plan could not be put in place. One could look at historic failures in Christian choices. One could look at destructive disagreements to suggest new leadership would be good. On the other hand people learn from their mistakes and people can hear Jesus call without new leadership, just willingness to make new following.

I do not accept the belief in SLC authority based upon evidence. Too many consideration indicate that the Book of Mormon is a 19th century religious fiction. I find new ideas introduced which I cannot view as trustworthy. Polygamy being first example. It is tied to doubtful ideas of endowment and becoming gods. The racial question is to my mind a good example why centralized authority has negative side effects. (I am old enough to remember Blacks and priesthood and the doctrines relationship to civil rights movement, as something I had to struggle with)

I do not think of the LDS church as all bad. I think there are lots of people following hope in Jesus within the church. I do not see perfection anywhere so I do not condemn Mormons for what I think of as errors. May we all continue to learn.
/
I might add that I see no reason to think that being LDS would block you from receiving inspiration from God. I just do not think it is a special inside track for that inspiration.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:54 pm
I'm really addressing it to those few Biblical Christians. Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
I guess they do not buy into the argument that God chose Joseph because he was a con man. Those Biblical Christians are naïve in thinking God would seek out a man of virtue. It is like they blind themselves to the obvious fact the fruit of knowledge comes from the sour crab apple tree. Learn that point and all knees will bend to Salt Lake City.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Catholic and protestant churches to speak for him?

I'll give you a hint, Kevin, the more exclusive you are in your believes toward others, the more exclusive they will be in return with you.

That's not necessarily bad or good, but it shouldn't be a complete mystery why people generally don't rally behind authority figures who have condemned them.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Maybe you are instead asking what within Biblical Christianity precludes Mormon leaders from having inspiration from God?

You're not saying that Biblical Christians should believe they are inspired, you're just asking what justifies Biblical Christians to think it's impossible?
JohnW
Valiant A

Post by JohnW »

For quite a few years I went to a weekly Bible study with a group of Mainstream Christians. I don't get out very often anymore, but I have discussed this topic multiple times with them. I can give you their response. First off, they tend to struggle with the whole idea of people being inspired directly by God in the first place. When I talked with them about personal revelation, they struggle with the concept. They firmly believe in sola scriptura, so when talking about inspiration, if you read a Bible verse and feel inspired about it, that is good. If you feel like God is talking to you directly, that makes them uncomfortable. We even have a Catholic in our Bible study group who doesn't think God ever speaks to the Pope. Although, he said his priest once told him he was more of a Protestant Catholic, which is a bit of a contradiction of terms.

Overall, in answer to the question, "Why do you think that God hasn't chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?" I think the Mainstream Christians in my Bible study group would say, "God already chose people to speak for him, and his words are in the Bible. There is no need for God to have anyone speaking for him today, let alone the LDS Church. The only people who can speak for God will use the words of the Bible to reach out to people."

For those who are Mainstream Christians here, feel free to correct me if you think I'm putting words in your mouth.
High Spy
Regional Representative

Think God

Post by High Spy »

Because they are deceived, and likewise the LDS church is and has always been deceived, yet the Book of Mormon is true.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Um, because it's fake? And not at all compatable with New Testament theology?
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Paloma
Nursery

Post by Paloma »

Replying in the same sincere vein that I think lies behind the question, I would give my succinct answer as - Jesus cannot be 'owned' or corporatized.

In my view, the whole thrust of God's good news is that progressive revelation (Genesis to Revelation) shows God's love and God's Kingdom were first seen through a man (Abraham) and a chosen people (the Israelites) and gradually revealed as encompassing the whole world. (Even in the Old Testament, there were hints that salvation wasn't limited to 'physical' Israel - e.g. Rahab, Melchizedek, etc. etc.) In the Old Testament, there was a physical nation and a physical way of approaching God (covenant and sacrifices) and a physical Temple, etc. Jesus was the fulfilment of all of these.

Today, Jesus' kingdom is made up of believers - and I think they are found in every church tradition including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Catholicism, Orthodox, Protestantism, Anabaptism, etc. etc. God is not bound or confined by human organizational boundaries. No doubt there are believers beyond what any 'Christian' would think of as the 'confines' of what constitutes Christianity. (I think this has always been true.)

Having said that, I do see a call to community in the Christian faith. I know that my LDS friends would tell me repeatedly that "God is a God of order' and He has organized this (LDS) church. I understood where they were coming from, and I do think that God calls us into community and has gifted us with spiritual gifts for the work of His kingdom, so that there can be effective understanding of God's word, of the need for service, reaching out to others etc. But the thought that an organization is the exclusive vehicle of stewarding truth and salvation goes against everything that I understand as 'God's way' - i.e. expansive (no borders) love. So I see churches as important for community and Christian growth and spreading God's love. But not for exclusionary purposes and practices.

I also see Jesus as fulfilling all of the Old Testament 'religious requirements'. (I think the book of Hebrews is really clear on this.) So there is no longer a need for 'designated' human prophets or priests. Jesus has fulfilled this in Himself, and believers "in Jesus" serve each other through their own spiritual insights and acts of service. In community, believers help each other discern the voice of God's Spirit.

Jesus fulfilled the old covenant with the new covenant in Him. He fulfilled the sacrificial system with His own sacrifice. He fulfilled the need for the Temple (another reason I disagree with the LDS Church). (It probably goes without saying that I do not find the LDS claims and origin story convincing.)

To answer your question, I think God works through the human heart and not through organizations. An organization can't be trademarked "Christian" any more than a country can be "Christian".

No "church" owns and speaks for Jesus exclusively. He transcends all human constructs and systems.

(I think I'm saying much the same as what Huckelberry expressed in his post above. Certainly, what he wrote resonated with me.)