Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by Chap »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:48 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:00 am
The question is this: why cannot the supposed deity address humanity directly?
Chap, God addressed me directly. I asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and God gave me a direct answer.
I am not talking about a private feeling.

I am talking about a public utterance that everybody can hear, and can agree that they heard uttered, under circumstances that make it clear that an extraordinarily powerful being is speaking and wishes to be known as such.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Rivendale
God

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by Rivendale »

Chap wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:40 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:48 pm
Chap, God addressed me directly. I asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and God gave me a direct answer.

I am talking about a public utterance that everybody can hear, and can agree that they heard uttered, under circumstances that make it clear that an extraordinarily powerful being is speaking and wishes to be known as such.
That is something that has always bothered me. For a father that wants his children to return to him he has a strange way of communicating. Whispering in individual ears rather than a collective bullhorn. And even worse using a third party to transmit his message.

The faith argument fails. Part of heaven turned away from god and they knew full well of all his attributes. There are a plethora of stories where angels and even god appears to people and they still turn away.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:12 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:40 pm

That is something that has always bothered me. For a father that wants his children to return to him he has a strange way of communicating. Whispering in individual ears rather than a collective bullhorn. And even worse using a third party to transmit his message.

The faith argument fails. Part of heaven turned away from god and they knew full well of all his attributes. There are a plethora of stories where angels and even god appears to people and they still turn away.
Rivendale, I wonder if your argument goes against your own point. You point to examples where the big bullhorn did not actually work. One might consider that perhaps in this world an alternative is being tried. People have to look into themselves to discover the light. It is not a trick pop quiz where we have to get a strange rule correct. We have to find our own light for moral value and caring for others. Discovery in ones own life might be far stronger than a bullhorn message.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 pm
Rivendale wrote:

Rivendale, I wonder if your argument goes against your own point. You point to examples where the big bullhorn did not actually work. One might consider that perhaps in this world an alternative is being tried. People have to look into themselves to discover the light. It is not a trick pop quiz where we have to get a strange rule correct. We have to find our own light for moral value and caring for others. Discovery in ones own life might be far stronger than a bullhorn message.
Why would god need alternatives?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 am
huckelberry wrote:
for peoples sake, for their intellectual personal spiritual growth toward maturity . Leaving behind childish imitation of caring to enter real experience (perhaps we misunderstanding each other?)
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Rivendale wrote:

If we are talking about the god of Christianity, is there evidence that anything works/worked better than the big bullhorn?

With the bullhorn, we are told that 1/3 of the host of heaven turned away, or 2/3 accepted god's plan. Without it, what fraction of the world population has failed to accept god's message? More or less than 1/3?

https://www.statista.com/chart/25572/wo ... over-time/
The World's Largest Religious Groups Over Time wrote:The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions as well as by people switching faiths. If current trends continue Christians will remain the largest religious group by 2060 (32 percent of the world's population), but Islam will experience the fastest growth, with an expected increase from 24 percent to 31 percent of the global population over the next four decades. According to projections by the Pew Research Center, the number of Muslims will in fact nearly equal the number of Christians around the world by 2060.
Looks like Christianity may peak at 32% around 2060. If so, the alternative to the bullhorn looks a bit weak.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:54 pm
God can inspire those 15 men to do pretty much anything He wants.
And me too. Believe me. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:30 pm
[=IHAQ post_id=2808638 time=1667811172 user_id=239]
I have yet to find a version of deity that makes sense.
A deity that answers questions doesn't make sense to you, IHAQ? What about such a deity makes you think it doesn't make sense?
IHAQ wrote: It means "not able to be relied upon".
What's keeping Latter-day Saints from relying on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? They rely on it, therefore that church is able to be relied upon, therefore it's reliable, by your definition. Relying on that church is reliable for the same reason.
IHAQ wrote:What would be the hallmarks of a leader of a religion that had been chosen by a supernatural, all knowing, all powerful deity ("God")?
IHAQ, I don't believe in a supernatural, all knowing, all powerful deity.
IHAQ wrote:Personally I'd be looking for extreme consistency, unbelievable accuracy, impossible foresight etc.
And if you found one, his characteristics would imply that God sent Him? Why go the indirect route? Why not just ask God if God gave permission to speak for Her/Him?
You have said, separately, that your God spoke directly to you. If your God is not supernatural, how did that communication happen? Via email?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:01 am
huckelberry wrote:
If we are talking about the god of Christianity, is there evidence that anything works/worked better than the big bullhorn?

With the bullhorn, we are told that 1/3 of the host of heaven turned away, or 2/3 accepted god's plan. Without it, what fraction of the world population has failed to accept god's message? More or less than 1/3?

https://www.statista.com/chart/25572/wo ... over-time/
The World's Largest Religious Groups Over Time wrote:The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions as well as by people switching faiths. If current trends continue Christians will remain the largest religious group by 2060 (32 percent of the world's population), but Islam will experience the fastest growth, with an expected increase from 24 percent to 31 percent of the global population over the next four decades. According to projections by the Pew Research Center, the number of Muslims will in fact nearly equal the number of Christians around the world by 2060.
Looks like Christianity may peak at 32% around 2060. If so, the alternative to the bullhorn looks a bit weak.
Malkie, if Gods interest is limited to the Christian political party then the internal knowledge and experience I suggested would not be very relevant. We could perhaps skip the whole human project.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 am
Rivendale wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 am

for peoples sake, for their intellectual personal spiritual growth toward maturity . Leaving behind childish imitation of caring to enter real experience (perhaps we misunderstanding each other?)
If the most important reason for being here is to learn how to return back I would question using this method. The reason? Because this method is indistinguishable from human emotions. Emotions that are created and impacted by genetics, nature and the nurture of the family one grows up in.