Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Informant
CTR B

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by Informant »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:06 pm
I would say that Christianity is just one form of Hellenized Judaism, and Judaism increasingly looks like a Hellenized religion to a degree we have only started to appreciate. Mormonism is just a late variation of Christianity that dips back into the Hellenic spring yet again. It is no more ridiculous than other forms of Judaism and Christianity. Practically everything Mormonism does can be found in other forms of Judaism and Christianity.
Yup. They’re all versions of the same thing: Zoroastrianism. Get on board, folks. Fire is god!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yes, Zoroastrianism was really influential, and now we are talking about the influence of Indo-European religions.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:10 pm
Yes, Zoroastrianism was really influential, and now we are talking about the influence of Indo-European religions.
I am not derailing. Persia was part of Indo-Europe.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:45 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:18 pm
A JUST God will not hope for eternal torment.
Philo Sofee, I agree with that one hundred percent.
Count me in on that one too.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:45 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:54 am
As in not fully articulated. There is nothing in Mormonism close to the great works of theology in orthodox Christianity. An eternal chain of exalted human deities doesn’t really explain much in the end.
You might be right, Kishkumen; I'm not heavily invested in any theory that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is more articulated than Biblical Christianity is. But I'm curious. Does Biblical Christianity really explain a lot in the end? And if so, what does it explain?
It explains everything we need to know about ourselves and about God, how to be reconciled to him, God's righteousness and how we become righteous, live with him eternally, his promises, how to live our lives with our eternal destiny is sight, and our eternal security to name a few.

As an aside, our sermon in church today was from Romans 10:1-4
How to Miss the Kingdom
The bullet points were:
- To think salvation is for others and not for ourselves
- Believe your truth sincerely (zeal, but not according to knowledge) It is possible for a person to be enthusiastic about God, but miss the kingdom.
- Determine our own truth
- Humility is part of the entrance to the kingdom of God
- Arrive at death with our righteousness list to present to God (ignorant of the righteousness of God, seeking to establish our own righteousness, failure to submit to God's righteousness)
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Informant wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:25 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:10 pm
I am not derailing. Persia was part of Indo-Europe.
Not to worry, this thread has derailed so many times and has had so any facets.:)
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Informant wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:08 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:06 pm
I would say that Christianity is just one form of Hellenized Judaism, and Judaism increasingly looks like a Hellenized religion to a degree we have only started to appreciate. Mormonism is just a late variation of Christianity that dips back into the Hellenic spring yet again. It is no more ridiculous than other forms of Judaism and Christianity. Practically everything Mormonism does can be found in other forms of Judaism and Christianity.
Yup. They’re all versions of the same thing: Zoroastrianism. Get on board, folks. Fire is god!
Poseidon's water puts him out, so he can't be King.... :D
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:07 pm
There are so many forms of non-LDS Christianity that it would be impossible to cover them all in one general statement and remain accurate.
Well then, Kishkumen, can you think of one form of Christianity that does a pretty good job of really explaining a lot in the end?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:24 am
It explains everything we need to know about ourselves and about God, how to be reconciled to him, God's righteousness and how we become righteous, live with him eternally, his promises, how to live our lives with our eternal destiny is sight, and our eternal security to name a few.
MsNobody, does Biblical Christianity explain how we humans can know that anything it says about God is actually true?
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

KevinSim wrote: Well then, Kishkumen, can you think of one form of Christianity that does a pretty good job of really explaining a lot in the end?
My vote is Valentinianism. Those guys had it all together.