Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by KevinSim »

malkie wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:07 pm
I can't help wondering if msnobody has at least as much grounds for her assumption as you have for many of yours, including your assumption that your god exists and speaks to you.
MsNobody definitely doesn't have more grounds, and that's my whole point. If each of us can't know that God will talk to us personally, then how can each know that God spoke to the other guy, who used what s/he thought s/he heard to write down scripture?
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

KevinSim wrote: Is the idea that we cannot know anything one of the things we cannot know? If we cannot know it, then the possibility exists that we can know something.
I think we can be reasonably sure about some things.

I agree with Descartes that we can know one thing, that I am a thing which asks the question of what I can know.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Informant wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:34 pm
I agree with Descartes that we can know one thing, that I am a thing which asks the question of what I can know.
And knowing that one thing, who knows how many other things we can come to know in the future?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:15 pm
malkie wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:07 pm
I can't help wondering if msnobody has at least as much grounds for her assumption as you have for many of yours, including your assumption that your god exists and speaks to you.
MsNobody definitely doesn't have more grounds, and that's my whole point. If each of us can't know that God will talk to us personally, then how can each know that God spoke to the other guy, who used what s/he thought s/he heard to write down scripture?
She has no less grounds than you do.

If you would like anyone to consider that you might be right about what you claim, then I don't see how you can justify skepticism about what msnobody claims.

Why question her claim? Why not accept it at face value?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:51 pm
Informant wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:34 pm
And knowing that one thing, who knows how many other things we can come to know in the future?
"how many other things" - The number could be zero.

Or do you think that "knowing that one thing" justifies the idea that we can know other things? How/why?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:56 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:50 am
All I can say is read 1 John chapters 1-5. Read it as a child.
https://www.esv.org/1+John+1/ it describes what I’m saying.
Thanks for pointing me to these five chapters, MsNobody! I'll give it my best shot. I'll try to read them without skepticism, though for someone who's heard a lot of criticism of works like that, that's not a trivial job.
You don’t have to limit yourself to those five chapters. : )
May the Lord wash you in the water of His word, and pour His love into your heart as you read of His great love for you.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:39 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 am
We can know when we are born from above (born again), and God sends the Holy Spirit to indwell us.
MsNobody, how can we know that that that indwells us, that you assume is the Holy Spirit, is actually the Holy Spirit?
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit Romans 8
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:54 am

As in not fully articulated. There is nothing in Mormonism close to the great works of theology in orthodox Christianity. An eternal chain of exalted human deities doesn’t really explain much in the end. It tells us where humans might expect to end up if they do things right, but it does not explain much about why there is anything. I used to think Christian theology was a caricature of what it actually is, and what it actually is is nothing like the caricature popular Mormon views make it out to be. But that is what you get when your Church is founded by theological illiterates.
I would question the need for there to be an explanation about why there is anything. Humans in general aren't comfortable with the idea of brute facts. But if one can accept the possibility that brute facts exist, then one no longeer needs an explanation for why there is anything.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

tagriffy wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:31 pm
I would question the need for there to be an explanation about why there is anything. Humans in general aren't comfortable with the idea of brute facts. But if one can accept the possibility that brute facts exist, then one no longeer needs an explanation for why there is anything.
Hmmm. Maybe some don't want or need such an explanation. Maybe others do. I think the world is big enough to fit both kinds of people.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

I definitely agree there.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind