Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by msnobody »

I have a favor to ask. I would like for you to articulate the biblical gospel as understood by evangelical Christians. I ask this because I want to know how you understand it. Over the years, I've gotten the idea that many Latter-day Saints believe that they believe the same gospel as evangelicals, but plus some. I also get the idea that many Latter-day Saints do not understand why the "plus some," in evangelical thought, places LDS as outside Christianity.

Would you mind articulating the biblical gospel to help me better understand?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:18 am
I have a favor to ask. I would like for you to articulate the biblical gospel as understood by evangelical Christians. I ask this because I want to know how you understand it. Over the years, I've gotten the idea that many Latter-day Saints believe that they believe the same gospel as evangelicals, but plus some. I also get the idea that many Latter-day Saints do not understand why the "plus some," in evangelical thought, places LDS as outside Christianity.

Msnobody, what exactly does "biblical gospel" mean? Are you talking about the gospel as the Bible describes it?
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:32 pm
msnobody wrote:

Msnobody, what exactly does "biblical gospel" mean? Are you talking about the gospel as the Bible describes it?
Yes, and if you feel there is a difference between how the Bible describes the gospel, maybe you could articulate the gospel that evangelicals believe. Thank you.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 am
msnobody wrote: Over the years, I've gotten the idea that many Latter-day Saints believe that they believe the same gospel as evangelicals, but plus some. I also get the that many Latter-day Saints do not understand why the "plus some," in evangelical thought, places LDS as outside Christianity.
KevinSim wrote:
Yes, and if you feel there is a difference between how the Bible describes the gospel, maybe you could articulate the gospel that evangelicals believe. Thank you.
First I should say that I am much more interested in God than I am in the Bible, so by no means am I an expert on the Bible. Also, just by observation it appears that the Bible says different things to different people, so I'm not convinced that there is just one biblical gospel. That said, the message of Paul seems to be that because of what Jesus did we are saved by grace through faith, and not by works. But I'm not aware of Paul ever saying what that salvation is from, what we're being saved from.
I am not one of those Latter-day Saints that believes we believe the same gospel as Evangelicals, only plus some. I'm not entirely sure what Evangelicals believe the gospel is, but I'd like to learn, so please feel free to educate me.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

KevinSim wrote:
msnobody wrote:

msnobody, what exactly does "biblical gospel" mean? Are you talking about the gospel as the Bible describes it?
To paraphrase an old Jewish joke:

Q: Why does KevinSim always answer a question with a question?
A: Why not?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Chap wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:15 pm
KevinSim wrote:
msnobody, what exactly does "biblical gospel" mean? Are you talking about the gospel as the Bible describes it?

Well, Chap, I could have simply said I could not answer MsNobody's question because I wasn't sure what the term "biblical gospel" meant, but asking that question seemed like a more productive thing to say. Do you disagree?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:42 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:15 pm

Well, Chap, I could have simply said I could not answer MsNobody's question because I wasn't sure what the term "biblical gospel" meant, but asking that question seemed like a more productive thing to say. Do you disagree?
And... QED.

:lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

msnobody wrote:
I also get the idea that many Latter-day Saints do not understand why the "plus some," in evangelical thought, places LDS as outside Christianity.
Sort of like the addition of star anise, fennel seeds, cinnamon, sugar, ginger, and cardamom no longer qualifies chai as tea, even though Mormons cannot drink it. The High and Strict Order of Tea Purists have their list and will not brook any adulterations, even though the occasional evangelical loco weed seems questionable.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 am
msnobody wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 am
First I should say that I am much more interested in God than I am in the Bible, so by no means am I an expert on the Bible. Also, just by observation it appears that the Bible says different things to different people, so I'm not convinced that there is just one biblical gospel. That said, the message of Paul seems to be that because of what Jesus did we are saved by grace through faith, and not by works. But I'm not aware of Paul ever saying what that salvation is from, what we're being saved from.
I am not one of those Latter-day Saints that believes we believe the same gospel as Evangelicals, only plus some. I'm not entirely sure what Evangelicals believe the gospel is, but I'd like to learn, so please feel free to educate me.
MsNobody, I made this post Tuesday night, and here it is Friday morning, and you haven't responded. Are you planning on commenting on my answer?
Of course, I can hardly talk, considering I'm the one that only makes posts one or two days each week! Still, I'm curious whether you're an infrequent poster like me, or whether for some reason I've silenced you.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 am
..... Also, just by observation it appears that the Bible says different things to different people, so I'm not convinced that there is just one biblical gospel. That said, the message of Paul seems to be that because of what Jesus did we are saved by grace through faith, and not by works. But I'm not aware of Paul ever saying what that salvation is from, what we're being saved from.
Kevin, my impression of Paul is that he spends a good bit of time discussing what he hopes we are saved from. Perhaps it seems to hide in Paul saying to much. I think Paul is pretty clear so I will attempt a summary.. He hopes we are to be saved from our inclination to evil, our guilt and resulting hostility with God, the condemnation of the law, spiritual and physical death.