Peterson violates his own "first rule"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Peterson violates his own "first rule"

Post by drumdude »

DCP's first rule wrote:I long ago formulated what might be grandiloquently termed Peterson’s First Rule for the Study of Other Religions and Worldviews: If a substantial number of sane and intelligent people believe something that seems to you utterly without sense, the problem probably lies with you for not grasping what it is about that belief that a lucid, informed, and reasonable person can find plausible and satisfying.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... y-not.html
DCP March 2022 wrote:I have a hard time understanding those who claim to have been liberated by their apostasy from the Church, and by what I assume often to be their abandonment of their covenants, and their rejection of the commandments.

In my experience, more than a few have indicated that they felt perpetually guilty as members of the Church. Presumably they hadn’t been sufficiently loving or kind, or hadn’t been fully honest or hadn’t worked hard enough or had been late or angry or had failed in a duty.

In this regard, guilt is like pain. It’s an indicator that something is wrong. There are people who don’t feel pain. Does that sound wonderful? Well, consider: Such a person could be leaning against a stove with his hand on a hot burner and be entirely unaware of the problem until he smelled burning flesh. (There have, apparently, been such cases.) Such a person would walk on a twisted ankle, doing further and perhaps irreparable damage to it, and be unaware of a stomach pain that should take him as soon as possible to the emergency room. Seen in this way, both pain and guilt can be helpful indicators for navigating mortal life. To be without them would put us far out to sea.
DCP August 2021 wrote:It is, I realize, a weird character flaw — or, probably more accurately said, a regrettable personality defect — but I’m quite interested in what critics of the Church have to say. For example, I look in every few days on two extremely unpleasant (and mostly atheist) online anti-Mormon message boards, so as to see what’s agitating or delighting people there.

I’m often astonished, to be frank, at the profound cynicism, the deep and hostile negativity, of some people on those sites. I don’t discount the fact that there are reasons for doubt and occasions for taking offense or feeling injured. But the attitude of some seems to me to go beyond that. Candidly, it often seems to me a spiritual illness. And a debilitating one.

I sincerely hope that these folks are happier and more pleasant in real life, away from those sites. If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.

DCP's mischaracterization of ex-Mormons is just as abhorrent as people who say "All/most Muslims are evil, violent, and going to hell." DCP has been defending Islam lately, which is great. It would be nice for him to apply that same understanding to ex-Mormons.
Gadianton
God

Re: Peterson violates his own "first rule"

Post by Gadianton »

Not to mention his disdain for Calvinism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

There are so many problems when he comes up with stuff like this. Before revealing his rule to the world, did he sit back and consider how holes could be punched in it?

Did he consider if he'd ever been critical of a a worldview believed by a substantial number of sane and intelligent people?

Did he ever consider if a substantial number of sane and intelligent people have ever been misled about something? Could it be argued that a substantial number of sane and intelligent people followed Hitler?

What really makes the rule facile though is it's so typically self-serving. How dare anyone make fun of something believed by he, as a Phd holder, and all his FARMS buddies who have Phds, when most of these people don't have Phds themselves! How dare they!

Okay, if we can't laugh at Mormonism now because so many intelligent people believe it, could we have laughed back when there were only three witnesses? Was it okay to laugh at Jesus and his followers before Christianity became scholarly, and Jesus was at odds with the learned Jews?

Peterson has sabotaged the usual trope the pits the sacred and unlearned against the educated and haughty just to solve his unique personal problems online.

The first rule of Peterson creating rules is that they must mainly protect he and his old buddies at FARMS.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP has called Calvinism “abhorrent” and has said that Scientology is “most clearly a fraud.”

He has also said several derogatory things about Evangelicalism.

Tennesse Williams must have had DCP in mind when he said, “The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that's also a hypocrite!”
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

The first rule, as defined by the good prof, is perfectly fine and intact as it is.

All that is required is for him to hold ex-mos to be insane, or unintelligent, or both, or some amalgam of the two.

QED
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I enjoy DCP’s fascination with ex-Mormons. I guess Mormonism is too engaging to let go of unless you hold onto it in a way he does not approve of.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I think he is running out of ways to defend his literalistic Mormonism, that's obvious... and yes, I enjoy seeing him try to work things out.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gemli got a nice comeback at The Midge:
The Mental Midget wrote:I very much doubt that our Village Atheist--that is, gemli--will be able to grasp the this item from Professor Peterson. It seems that the encounter with some teaching Nuns in a school that his otherwise parents, who seem to have been merely nominal Roman Catholics, since gemli has never once mentioned prayer in his home, or there even being a family Bible in his home, as he began, without reading book, soon after his encounter at the end of what we know as grade school into a very odd variety of atheist.
Gemli wrote:When my time is near its end, I will be at peace knowing I provided Dr. Midgley with a few meager scraps of irrelevant biographical information that he was able to weave into countless comments, some of which may have deepened the faith of those who needed the kind of spiritual boost that only comes from thinking they're right, while everyone else has missed the boat.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

In my experience, more than a few have indicated that they felt perpetually guilty as members of the Church. Presumably they hadn’t been sufficiently loving or kind, or hadn’t been fully honest or hadn’t worked hard enough or had been late or angry or had failed in a duty.
What a dumb bum. I felt guilty on such beliefs because for some damned reason it was supposedly true that many people were existing for the sole purpose of suffering. They suffer here in the mortal world, then God sends them off to suffer more, for arbitrary reasons. And sure, I felt guilty because perfection as a goal is silly. Yep feeling perpetually guilty seemed inevitable for a halfway caring and conscious person on such beliefs, it seems to me. You have to be way cold to accept the beliefs and for a second escape guilt and shame. Yoohoo, DCP, Billions of God's children are suffering right now and will for forever because they felt sympathy for their brother Lucifer's plan of saving everyone.

Goddammit! his beliefs are stupid. That's why people lose belief. That he needs to condemn nonbelievers to make himself feel better for believing speaks well to the failure of his religion if you ask me.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

A corollary to Peterson's First Rule for the Study of Other Religions and Worldviews could be called Analytics' First Rule for the Introspection of Your Own Religion and Worldview: if a substantial number of number of sane, intelligent, and informed people believe that your own religion is utterly without sense, the problem probably lies with you for not grasping the flaws in your own religion.

Modern psychology has proven that our brains are full of cognitive biases that allow us to believe false things. As Michael Shermer has documented, smart people believe weird things. On its surface, Peterson's point seems to be exactly what Shermer has observed: smart people believe weird things, yet they really are smart. But rather than advocating for an understanding why smart people believe weird things, Peterson asks for respect. I'd rename what he's really going after as Peterson's Golden Rule of Patently False Beliefs: I won't laugh at your silly beliefs if you promise not to laugh at mine.