Francesca Stavrakopoulou - Book - "God An Anatomy"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Francesca Stavrakopoulou - Book - "God An Anatomy"

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:58 am
Huckleberry quoting Nahum
I will pelt you with filth,
He's gonna throw sh*t balls at em, not spit balls. :lol:
In that Nineveh was an existential threat,conquering armies and all, spitballs would be a little lame.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:38 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:58 am

He's gonna throw sh*t balls at em, not spit balls. :lol:
In that Nineveh was an existential threat,conquering armies and all, spitballs would be a little lame.
And shitballs aren’t?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:45 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:38 pm

And shitballs aren’t?
You could make a little effort to understand how Nahum might have felt and why he choose to express the situation the way he did.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:03 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:45 pm

And shitballs aren’t?
You could make a little effort to understand how Nahum might have felt and why he choose to express the situation the way he did.
The text says it was God not Nahum who painted us that pretty picture.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:58 pm
huckelberry wrote:

Well he is trying to get the lesson across, and humankind appear too blinkerin stupid to get it.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

You know full well it actually was Nahum. A believer like myself may suspect inspiration giving a lead. A really fundamentalist sort might imagine God dictating those verses.

I really do not see what difference those different scenarios would make on the meaning of the verses and the real world situation with Nineveh which had sent conquering armies to destroy Jerusalem.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Well he is trying to get the lesson across, and humankind appear too blinkerin stupid to get it.
If he were the type of “all knowing” people say he is then that shouldn’t be a problem. He should be able to put it in a way that people would get it. He can’t be said to be good if he puts it in a way he knows people will not get and then complain those who can’t possibly understand as much as he are too stupid to get it and thus deserve his wrath. That’s abuse, not love.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:14 pm
dastardly stem wrote:

You know full well it actually was Nahum. A believer like myself may suspect inspiration giving a lead. A really fundamentalist sort might imagine God dictating those verses.

I really do not see what difference those different scenarios would make on the meaning of the verses and the real world situation with Nineveh which had sent conquering armies to destroy Jerusalem.
It’s a story, not a reality, huckelberry. Nahum and other biblical characters, including god, aren’t real. But to treat the set of scriptures as truer than reality is a vital mistake. To think they are words from god seems wrong all around. Case in point—the promotion of rape culture in this example. Why would we ever assume a people’s wickedness is worse than say those who are telling us they are really wicked? That doesn’t seem very reasonable to me.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:47 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:14 pm

It’s a story, not a reality, huckelberry. Nahum and other biblical characters, including god, aren’t real. But to treat the set of scriptures as truer than reality is a vital mistake. To think they are words from god seems wrong all around. Case in point—the promotion of rape culture in this example. Why would we ever assume a people’s wickedness is worse than say those who are telling us they are really wicked? That doesn’t seem very reasonable to me.
Nineveh, its attacks on Israel and other people leading to its military defeat is all real history.

"Truer than reality is a vital mistake" I really am not catching your line of thought here. Nineveh was sufficiently not nice that all the neighbors ganged up to defeat it.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:44 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:47 pm

Nineveh, its attacks on Israel and other people leading to its military defeat is all real history.

"Truer than reality is a vital mistake" I really am not catching your line of thought here. Nineveh was sufficiently not nice that all the neighbors ganged up to defeat it.
To be clear, I didn’t say otherwise.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos