What Do Mormons Think About The Church's Endorsement Of the Same-Sex Marriage Bill?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

What Do Mormons Think About The Church's Endorsement Of the Same-Sex Marriage Bill?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Over at the LDSFreedomForum, the responses have been swift and harsh. Here is a small sampling of the comments:
by paste » November 15th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Does this mean the Church will reimburse me for my three thousand dollars I gave on Prop8? What about the 100 million dollars members gave supporting Prop8? I wish I had known that in a few years the Church would take a 180 degree turn on gay marriage. I would have saved thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working to support Prop8.
by JandD6572 » November 15th, 2022, 5:22 pm

Rights? I suppose if God thought they should have equal rights, perhaps he would have reconsidered destroying Sodom and Gomorrah 🤷
]by marc » November 15th, 2022, 4:40 pm

The pattern of the Church is this: offer some initial resistance, then when it's obvious the opposing arm of the flesh is stronger than ours, give in and flip to the opposing side. Polygamy, 78 priesthood declaration, prop 8.

Just another slippery slope.
Post by Christianlee » November 16th, 2022, 11:00 am

The first question that comes to mind is does the LDS Church still excommunicate members that engage in LGBTQ sex? Or does the Church no longer excommunicate members who are in gay “marriages”? Do LGBTQ members have rights within the Church? Our LGBTQ brothers and sisters? None of their words or actions make sense.
by Serrigon » November 15th, 2022, 5:22 pm

The problem here is that the church has bought into the "homosexuality as an identity" thing hook, line, and sinker. And this belief is the reason they must change the doctrine on SSM in the future. It would be immoral to tell people they cannot marry if you are simultaneously saying that there is nothing inherently wrong in what they are doing.

Like blacks and the priesthood, it will change and we will be told in the future that no one is sure why it was a policy as no official revelation can be found. That it was likely due to the bigotry of the people of the times. And those who now say it can never change will be explaining why it had to change.
by Tribrac» November 15th, 2022, 5:22 pm

1- offer initial resistance,
2- flip sides,
3- tell the members position 2 was always part of the church,
4- push members to the fringe if they still believe 1.
by madvin » November 15th, 2022, 5:51 pm

More evidence that the church leadership has lost its mind. Just another example of superimposing their opinion onto the church. I see nowhere where they say they are relying on the Lord for their opinion. They just say they think this is the way to “move forward”. I fear that this is not a move forward.
by Serragon » November 15th, 2022, 6:01 pm

AP Headline

"Mormon church comes out in support of same-sex marriage law"

Disgusting. We are now actively supporting the corruption of our culture and the very foundations of society in some mis guided attempt to avoid the pointing fingers from the great and spacious building.
by tribrac » November 15th, 2022, 6:05 pm

I am okay with their current position, even that they changed positions. Not okay when they try to convince us they never taught another way. Or when they ostracize members for not keeping personal beliefs current with the Newsroom press releases.
by Dave62 » November 15th, 2022, 4:32 pm

I feel like I'm listening to Chamberlain appeasing Hitler.
by marc » November 15th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Basically we are being told that they respect the rights of others to sin.
by largerthanlife2 » November 15th, 2022, 8:20 pm

Sodom and Gomorrah has full support of the church.
by Kit-OTW » November 16th, 2022, 10:27 am

If that law gets signed, married gay students will be mixed all through BYU housing. If that "preserving the rights" gets codified, women will be legalized into men's housing, and men into women's in church run schools. The same goes for trans. The new law isn't focused on preserving rights, it is, truthfully, a battering ram that will be used to make the rights of this small percentage of the population more important than everyone else's rights.
https://ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=68580
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: What Do Mormons Think About The Church's Endorsement Of the Same-Sex Marriage Bill?

Post by drumdude »

Pretty much the same response as to the Brethren telling people to get vaccinated.
Wonhyo
CTR A

Re: What Do Mormons Think About The Church's Endorsement Of the Same-Sex Marriage Bill?

Post by Wonhyo »

These Mormons ought to take great care in their criticism of the church's leaders and the church's position on the proposed law. Inspired men have directed the church to take that position, and to criticize them in the carrying out of their responsibilities is tantamount to criticizing the Lord. Indeed, these critics have taken a giant step in the direction of apostasy. (Yes, I'm aware of the general insanity of the people who participate in LDS Freedom Forum...)
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The endorsement of same-sex marriage is 3-fold... 1) they're losing a lot of members over the issue and so needed to try and stem the tide, 2), their lawyers at Kirton & McConkie saw potential discrimination lawsuits down the road if they didn't and 3), they took advantage of an exemption in the bill that safeguards tax-exemption (501c3) if you refuse to perform same-sex marriages. So it was all about money and membership numbers, as usual. Interesting how there hasn't been one mention from any church spokesman or the FP about this being 'revelation'. :lol:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

does feedom forum qualify as loyal Mormon? TBM?

Or are they fringes, sort of Mormon, cultivating the John Birch legacy?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

A few more comments:
by gradles21 » November 16th, 2022, 12:35 pm

You're right. And these whore women with high body counts have the audacity to wear a white wedding dress and a veil. Laughable.
by DrTheopolis » November 16th, 2022, 1:27 pm
The LDS Church needs to learn when to keep its mouth shut instead of exposing its stupidity.
Why did the church feel compelled to make such a statement? Was ANYBODY clamoring for the church's opinion in this matter? This is just like the statement about the "vaccine"...completely unnecessary and divisive for members of the church. What are they thinking???
by Lizzy60 » November 16th, 2022, 7:39 am

The church is led by a politician with the backing of a very crafty lawyer and an office building full of lawyers. We are seeing a repeat of Alma 10.
Post by The Red Pill » November 16th, 2022, 8:03 am

Since God is the same yesterday, today and forever...in other words unchanging.

Somebody or somebody's CHANGED and it WAS NOT God.

So...Q15 CANNOT have it both ways. You CANNOT claim to speak for God and claim you cannot lead people astray...

Then COMPLETELY do a 180 and change your position...the churches official position.

That's called HYPOCRISY...and it ain't coming from God!
by Moroni104 » November 16th, 2022, 8:07 am

There is no doubt that that this phrase is terrible: preserving the rights of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters.
by ransomme » November 16th, 2022, 8:46 am

The Church is perfectly comfortable selling out your individual rights for the false hope that their religious rights will be protected.

The Church is condemning itself in the long run.

So short sighted, so stupid
by Chip » November 16th, 2022, 8:48 am

It's like they are compelled to say SOMETHING, but they can't say ANYTHING concrete like, "We will not be solemnizing homosexual unions in our temples." No, that would be too definite, too controversial.
by InfoWarrior82 » November 16th, 2022, 8:53 am

For those of you who have been made aware of the fact that President Nelson has officially joined the church with Agenda 2030 back in 2018, should not be surprised that this step has been taken. More to come!
by LDS Physician » November 16th, 2022, 9:36 am

Homosexuality is the antithesis of the Abrahamic Covenant. One grants endless posterity. The other ends posterity. It is a dead-end biologically and spiritually.

It doesn't matter what they're trying to avoid or who they're trying to appease. When they speak in support of a law which legalizes homosexuality while wearing the mantle of prophets ... be prepared for covenant curses because they're coming.
by spiritMan » November 16th, 2022, 12:22 pm

All this talk of "appropriate religious freedom protections" is a red herring. The Church FULLY supports LEGAL SSM. That's a fact.
Pres. Nelson is actually supportive of homosexuality and SSM. Pres. Nelson is socially progressive, most likely because Wendy wants him to be. We are to be an inclusive, tolerant church where there are no real standards, repentance, or conversion. He thinks that because we all meet in a building once a week we are unified Saints of God without realizing that what actually unifies a people is their shared cultural beliefs and self-sacrifice for the tribe. It is no different than importing large populations of migrants with incompatible cultural values into your community. From the macro level it may look like unity, but when you dig down to the micro level you see nothing but division because there is nothing for them to culturally unify on.

He has successfully transitioned the church from "Homosexuality is an abomination before God" where any practice of it, including coming out, was grounds automatic disciplinary council with excommunication as the outcome to "It isn't the optimal thing you can do'
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014