Colorado shooting suspect appears to be LDS

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Colorado shooting suspect appears to be LDS

Post by Kishkumen »

Informant wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:06 pm
I don’t either, with the exception of the Cosby Show, which I can never watch again.
Well, there have to be *some* limits, right?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:58 pm
Informant wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 pm
Didn’t you hear? It’s not cool to enjoy Harry Potter anymore, what with J.K. Rowling’s apparent disdain for the trans community.
I don’t get tied up in knots over that stuff. That stuff being the boycotting of artists and entertainers because of their politics.
I don't get tied up in knots over it either. I read all the Harry Potter books and saw all the movies. I was enchanted by them. I have no problem with fans of Rowling's fiction. People get to read what they want and spend their money how they choose.

Now that she is rich, she uses her platform to punch down and demonize a group that includes my children, members of my extended family and my friends. Why in the world would I choose to put another nickel in her pocket? My to-read list has more books on it than I will have time to read before I die. Why should I put anything on it written by Rowling?

by the way, the funniest sendups I've seen of Rowling are done by the Midnight Society Twitter feed, a totally made up gathering of present and past horror authors telling spooky stories around the campfire hosted by Edgar Allen Poe. The portrayals of Poe, Lovecraft, Barker, King, Shelley and others are hilarious. This one was prompted by a media interview with Clive Barker. https://Twitter.com/midnight_pals/statu ... 0186466304 Trigger warning for bad language.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 pm
I don't get tied up in knots over it either. I read all the Harry Potter books and saw all the movies. I was enchanted by them. I have no problem with fans of Rowling's fiction. People get to read what they want and spend their money how they choose.

Now that she is rich, she uses her platform to punch down and demonize a group that includes my children, members of my extended family and my friends. Why in the world would I choose to put another nickel in her pocket? My to-read list has more books on it than I will have time to read before I die. Why should I put anything on it written by Rowling?
That’s your prerogative, obviously. I don’t think everyone, even people who know and love trans people, will necessarily react the same way. I think Kanye West is an awful person. I hate anti-Semitism as much as I deplore gender bigotry, but I would buy a good Kanye West album.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:08 pm
And there are four words you definitely won’t hear them talk about from the alleged shooter’s suicide note: “led by the Satan.”
The media did not want readers to know of his connection to Ted Cruz? Is this hinted at in Cruz's audiobook via the growls and snarls?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 pm

That’s your prerogative, obviously. I don’t think everyone, even people who know and love trans people, will necessarily react the same way. I think Kanye West is an awful person. I hate anti-Semitism as much as I deplore gender bigotry, but I would buy a good Kanye West album.
I don't expect everyone to react the same way. I think there's a tricky moral issue in there that different people will resolve in different ways (including asserting that there is no moral issue at all). ;)
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 pm
I don't expect everyone to react the same way. I think there's a tricky moral issue in there that different people will resolve in different ways (including asserting that there is no moral issue at all). ;)
Yep! At a different time in my life I refused to eat at Chik-fil-A. Maybe at some point I will feel differently again. I have been wrestling with the ramifications of boycotting, and right now I am in a place where I tend to ignore consumer boycotting. When I mentioned getting tied up in knots over it, this was in reference to my personal experience thinking of which companies or people I would have to stop interacting with if I were to be truly consistent. Eventually I just stopped worrying about it, as I had more pressing concerns in my personal life.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:26 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 pm
Yep! At a different time in my life I refused to eat at Chik-fil-A. Maybe at some point I will feel differently again. I have been wrestling with the ramifications of boycotting, and right now I am in a place where I tend to ignore consumer boycotting. When I mentioned getting tied up in knots over it, this was in reference to my personal experience thinking of which companies or people I would have to stop interacting with if I were to be truly consistent. Eventually I just stopped worrying about it, as I had more pressing concerns in my personal life.
One of my favorite quotes is from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance", Essays: First Series, 1841
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... onsistency

One of my personal takeaways from my exposure to the legal version of postmodernism in law school was: Everything is the same and everything is different. The trick is to figure out which samenesses and differences should matter.

I would label any effort to be completely consistent in whatever the moral choices are in purchasing goods or services one of Emerson's "foolish consistencies." Rowling is an easy call for me. Kanye is too. I get to choose which goods and services I purchase for whatever reason I choose. Not making a decision on the easy cases because of the effort that would be required to map out a complete consistency in all possible cases makes zero sense to me. I have no obligation to be consistent in how I spend my money. Why should I choose to put money in the pocket of someone who attacks my family and friends simply because the question may not be an easy one to answer in all cases?

That's why I say I'm not tied up in knots either. I'm perfectly happy making easy calls when I see them. I don't even consider it a "boycott." It's how I choose to spend my money.
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:57 pm
One of my personal takeaways from my exposure to the legal version of postmodernism in law school was: Everything is the same and everything is different. The trick is to figure out which samenesses and differences should matter.
To the individual I imagine? If it stayed that way, that would be nice. Of course, people tend to judge each other regarding their personal decisions about these matters.
I would label any effort to be completely consistent in whatever the moral choices are in purchasing goods or services one of Emerson's "foolish consistencies." Rowling is an easy call for me. Kanye is too. I get to choose which goods and services I purchase for whatever reason I choose. Not making a decision on the easy cases because of the effort that would be required to map out a complete consistency in all possible cases makes zero sense to me. I have no obligation to be consistent in how I spend my money. Why should I choose to put money in the pocket of someone who attacks my family and friends simply because the question may not be an easy one to answer in all cases?

That's why I say I'm not tied up in knots either. I'm perfectly happy making easy calls when I see them. I don't even consider it a "boycott." It's how I choose to spend my money.
OK. Well, I think of it this way: if I am interested in something, I don't bother thinking of the personality, life choices, or opinions of the person who made it, I just buy it if I want to. That is an easy choice for me in the case of Rowling and West, since Rowling writes great books and Kanye has made some genius music. They can be assholes with terrible opinions, but that won't prevent me from purchasing their work. Donald Trump is an asshole who has contributed nothing I like to the world, so it easy for me not to buy anything explicitly connected to him.

I may feel differently in the future, as I have felt differently in the past, but for now this is my rule of thumb.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Video runs 8 minutes and 24 seconds. I don't think I can fully describe it.

Dad Reveals Bizarre Details of Accused Club Q Shooter's Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpiC756_iaE
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I get to choose which goods and services I purchase for whatever reason I choose.
I wish it still were that way.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas