Colorado shooting suspect appears to be LDS

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
pistolero
Deacon

Re: Colorado shooting suspect appears to be LDS

Post by pistolero »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:23 pm
Admittedly I’m not following this line of reasoning. He has history with Mormonism therefore his psychotic move to shoot people at a LGBTQ club was due to the Mormon church? And he’s LGBTQ? Not saying Mormonism had no influence on him, but it also seems possible he had no Mormonism in mind at all.

We just hypothesizing here?
Proving causality between teachings of LDS church and murdering people at LGBTQ club isn't really feasible.

It seems irrelevant that he's choosing to climb under LGBTQ umbrella himself as to whether there is some link with LDS church.

What does seem to be clear though is that the church has an appalling recent history with those in the LGBTQ community: aversion therapy, prop 8, Nov policy, muskets, to name a few.

The church announced that it was "problematic" to condemn an entire religion based on a shooter's actions.

Irrespective of any link with the shooter, the Church is still complicit with discrimination against the LGBTQ community and irresponsible rhetoric involving "musket fire" is incendiary.

Many argue that the "musket fire" lines are benign, but for me the issue is: what happens if instead of Jeff H. having said it, if it were Donald T. that had said it. I'd find it so much more plausible to find a causal link. That said, there are extremists in all organizations that will interpret literally prophetic utterances. Hence Jeff H. needs to be a lot more careful.

LDS Inc. should be taking every opportunity to promote healing within the LGBTQ community, based on pass discriminations, rather than a hyper-sensitive defensive of being linked with a massacre.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:09 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:43 pm

especially when they were shot by someone who was LGBTQ
And White. Don’t forget the White part, since being White is important to you. Apparently the master race includes this guy, a methhead Mormon dad, and a bananapants Mormon single mother. And they’re all White.

So. Yeah. Don’t forget all those descriptions, Ajax18.

- Doc
The only reason we've heard about this mass shooting was because the media couldn't wait to use it as a tool to silence and censor its political opponents and here to besmirch the lds church. After just two days we find out that (they/them) is LGBTQ and magically this story is no longer news worthy.
Don’t forget the White part, since being White is important to you.
It's not. And it wasn't for my ancestors either. Rebels? Yes. White supremacists? No. It's about freedom, and in this case freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the freedom to believe that the traditional nuclear family and committed marriage contract is central to Heavenly Father's plan, and the will to fight when liberal elite try to usurp that freedom.
Last edited by ajax18 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

pistolero wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:13 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:23 pm
Admittedly I’m not following this line of reasoning. He has history with Mormonism therefore his psychotic move to shoot people at a LGBTQ club was due to the Mormon church? And he’s LGBTQ? Not saying Mormonism had no influence on him, but it also seems possible he had no Mormonism in mind at all.

We just hypothesizing here?
Proving causality between teachings of LDS church and murdering people at LGBTQ club isn't really feasible.
That’s why we ought to proceed with some caution I figure.
It seems irrelevant that he's choosing to climb under LGBTQ umbrella himself as to whether there is some link with LDS church.

What does seem to be clear though is that the church has an appalling recent history with those in the LGBTQ community: aversion therapy, prop 8, Nov policy, muskets, to name a few.

The church announced that it was "problematic" to condemn an entire religion based on a shooter's actions.

Irrespective of any link with the shooter, the Church is still complicit with discrimination against the LGBTQ community and irresponsible rhetoric involving "musket fire" is incendiary.

Many argue that the "musket fire" lines are benign, but for me the issue is: what happens if instead of Jeff H. having said it, if it were Donald T. that had said it. I'd find it so much more plausible to find a causal link. That said, there are extremists in all organizations that will interpret literally prophetic utterances. Hence Jeff H. needs to be a lot more careful.

LDS Inc. should be taking every opportunity to promote healing within the LGBTQ community, based on pass discriminations, rather than a hyper-sensitive defensive of being linked with a massacre.
Yes, the church and most other religions can indeed be said to have influenced hateful ideas towards LGBTQ. If they are hateful towards LGBTQ, we may have something. But straights shoot straights all the time and we most often imagine motivations beyond self hate, methinks. I haven’t paid much attention so not sure what’s been uncovered regarding motivations.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

So Hawkeye, you made an attempt and that's something, but let's take another look:
NBC reporter Ben Collins said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that “Republican politicians” and the “internet’s far-right machine” were targeting transgender people, which resulted in Saturday’s shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs, CO.
That's a lot of blank filling. I want to see Collins statement that actually said that republican politicians who targeted transgender people were the cause of the shooting.
So if you were a parent who didn't want your kindergartner going to drag queen hour (a domestic terrorist according to Merrick Garland's DOJ), you're the reason this (they/them) nonbinary Anderson Lee Aldrich (not even his given name at birth) killed 5 people at the gay bar.
I was a parent who didn't want my kindergartner going to drag queen hour and it was very easy to avoid given San Francisco was several hours away from me, for starters. I actually didn't need right-wing politicians spending millions of dollars on anti-gay ads to accomplish that.

I think we can look on the bright side here though, Hawkeye, given it's thanksgiving. Short of a right-wing police state that shovels tens of billions into arresting and crushing LGBQ out of existence, which is unlikely even if we end up with a right-wing police state, LGBQ is here to stay and will only become more socially acceptable over time. In the long game, your right-wing ads only help the process along. Kids in the south who aren't exposed yet will see those ads and they will now have something in their brain that they didn't have before. You know what they say, bad publicity is better than no publicity. And yes, you can turn this around and say that CNN and all the liberal rubbernecking over all things Trump feeds into Trump's power. What you are doing with these ads and your general media obsession over LGBQ's threat to Christian values, is exposing Christian children earlier in life to a whole lot of stuff they'd never otherwise hear about until later in life, if ever, and in the long run it will have a far, far greater net effect of establishing LGBQ equality than all of the drag queen hours put together. I just smile at the thought of your kids growing up nice and tolerant of people of all types and shrugging off their "crazy dad". See, Hawkeye, it used to be that "these sorts of things" just weren't talked about. Now, right-wingers obsessively talk about sexuality in order to rile themselves up for the next witch hunt. In the short term, it has its costs, but in the long term, it's getting a lot of things out in the open for children at a young age who then will figure it out as they get older.

You know when the first time I heard the AC/DC song "Hells Bells?" It was in seminary, from a video my teacher showed the class meant to expose the Satanism of rock music. It played clips from various songs and showed the lyrics. A couple I'd heard, but that one I hadn't; it was catchy and later I got a copy of just that song because I liked it so much. You laugh that off because you grew up with rock music and it's no big deal, your parents may have been young enough it wasn't a big deal for them either. But for my parents, you have no idea how big of a deal it was. My parents lost that battle just as you will lose this battle.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:38 pm
After just two days we find out that (they/them) is LGBTQ and magically this story is no longer news worthy.
And yet a simple Google search would reveal:

https://www.google.com/search?q=colorad ... e&ie=UTF-8

Ajax18 is lying again!

- Doc

eta: iM nOt A rAcIsT

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

Hawkeye wrote:
especially when they were shot by someone who was LGBTQ
WTF did we ever do to you?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Suspect Anderson Lee Aldrich.

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Focus on the Family (evangelical Christian radio) had their sign defaced with a message saying the murders were on their hands.

Dan thinks that the LGBT movement has won a war, through sophisticated marketing and manipulation. When in reality it’s the Christian movement that failed to be Christlike. They sold their soul for political power, the apotheosis of which was the Trump presidency.

Another few decades and the link between Mormonism and homophobia will be as shameful as the link between Mormonism and racism. And the record will again show that the LDS church was dragged kicking and screaming towards moral progress, in spite of their “prophets.”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Just looking over the bumper stickers on Doc Cam's car photo. I'm curious, Hawkeye and Ajax, are there any bumper stickers on that car that you disagree with?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:43 pm
Just looking over the bumper stickers on Doc Cam's car photo. I'm curious, Hawkeye and Ajax, are there any bumper stickers on that car that you disagree with?
It looks like he has his new car up on cinder blocks to use for parts as well. Very West Virginian.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.