Tyler Livingston--Former FAIR Stalwart--Has Left the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Tyler Livingston--Former FAIR Stalwart--Has Left the Church

Post by dastardly stem »

There are plenty of intelligent and accomplished people who have provided convincing sounding reasons to believe. I would suggest the reasons they give, as Wade seems to be saying, aren't really all that reasonable at all. They convince not because the arguments are valid and sound. They convince because of their influence as intelligent people and appeals to emotion. Of course I could be wrong in any particular case, but from what I've seen that seems to be true, generally. So many believers read and study to get a good feel for information in order to, often, use that knowledge to convince people. But it's not the knowledge. Its the appearance of knowledge. It's not the reason...its the appearance of reason that is so convincing.

That's my take on it, and if I'm wrong all it would really take, I'd think, is for someone to provide a reasonable case for their religious claims. I appreciate the Wade realizes he can't do that and holds the position no one can. I think that's about right. One first has to hold many presuppositions for religious arguments to be reasonable. But all the premises might just be too problematic in the end to convince anyone reasonably. One first has to accept a whole other world to find reason to believe.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

wenglund wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 am
Rather, it is because, between gatherers and critics, there is little to no overlap in acceptable evidence, methods of testing, purposes, etc.. And, absent sufficient overlap, then rational discussions aren't viable.
Thanks, Wade Englund
Rather than call them critics, let's call them Hunters and help reestablish their relationship with Gatherers. Together we can route those potato-growing apologists.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:23 pm
There are plenty of intelligent and accomplished people who have provided convincing sounding reasons to believe. I would suggest the reasons they give, as Wade seems to be saying, aren't really all that reasonable at all. They convince not because the arguments are valid and sound. They convince because of their influence as intelligent people and appeals to emotion. Of course I could be wrong in any particular case, but from what I've seen that seems to be true, generally. So many believers read and study to get a good feel for information in order to, often, use that knowledge to convince people. But it's not the knowledge. Its the appearance of knowledge. It's not the reason...its the appearance of reason that is so convincing.

That's my take on it, and if I'm wrong all it would really take, I'd think, is for someone to provide a reasonable case for their religious claims. I appreciate the Wade realizes he can't do that and holds the position no one can. I think that's about right. One first has to hold many presuppositions for religious arguments to be reasonable. But all the premises might just be too problematic in the end to convince anyone reasonably. One first has to accept a whole other world to find reason to believe.
Who woulda guessed sophism really only appeals to sophists.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

wenglund wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:34 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:44 am
I 2nd this. Good to see you active and posting a bit and mixing it up Wade. Always good exercise for my own brain cells when I do so - GRIN! And heavens knows, at this age, I need it... :lol:
Likewise. You have been, and still are, one of my favorite people. Seeing your jovial personality, keen intellect, and well intentioned spirit on a recent podcast, is what drew me back here. You are a genuinely a loveable guy. My only regret is that we don't have you fighting the good fight on our side. All the best.

Thanks, Wade Englund
There are no sides, only experience...
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:21 pm
wenglund wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:34 am
Likewise. You have been, and still are, one of my favorite people. Seeing your jovial personality, keen intellect, and well intentioned spirit on a recent podcast, is what drew me back here. You are a genuinely a loveable guy. My only regret is that we don't have you fighting the good fight on our side. All the best.

Thanks, Wade Englund
There are no sides, only experience...
Great. Either way, I have been touched and blessed by the kind interactions between friends (I will continue to consider you and Kish as friends). And, on this positive note, I will probably leave the board. I came here to see how you all were faring and to briefly propose a different way of looking at things. I have done that.

And, not wanting to immerse myself further in counterproductive behavior than I already have, I wish you all (everyone posting here) the very happiest of life experiences.

Thanks, Wade Englund
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Wade,

I know I speak for many when I say you are welcome here anytime.

May the road rise with you, my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb7Li2Vs24Y
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

wenglund wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:35 am
I came here to see how you all were faring and to briefly propose a different way of looking at things. I have done that.

And, not wanting to immerse myself further in counterproductive behavior than I already have, I wish you all (everyone posting here) the very happiest of life experiences...
Thank you, Wade. As one of the all, i am absolutely positive you wish everyone posting here the "very happiest of life experiences." Absolutely. Your language in the sentence above makes that clear. Although i occasionally wonder how it is that those using such blatant language think its true intent is not seen by others. But, to each his own.

I also wish you the "very happiest of life experiences."
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

wenglund wrote:
And, not wanting to immerse myself further in counterproductive behavior than I already have, I wish you all (everyone posting here) the very happiest of life experiences.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng
“And in order to obtain the highest [degree of glory], a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

“And if he does not, he cannot obtain it”
You better get cookin’, brother. Time is a slippn’ away, Wade Englund.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 am
You better get cookin’, brother. Time is a slippn’ away, Wade Englund.

- Doc

Yeah, Wade failed to measure up to God's expectations and through his mortal weaknesses has fallen short of the glory of God. He will not receive or achieve exaltation. He's going into the Celestial Kingdom as a servant. The woman that was meant for him has been given to another man. (Sounds like a Led Zeppelin song)

Anyway, brother Wade, you're welcome to come down from the lower realm of the Celestial Kingdom to visit us poor sinners in Telestial where we will be having our joy doing whatever we want.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

wenglund wrote:
Great. Either way, I have been touched and blessed by the kind interactions between friends (I will continue to consider you and Kish as friends). And, on this positive note, I will probably leave the board. I came here to see how you all were faring and to briefly propose a different way of looking at things. I have done that.

Thanks, Wade Englund
Sad to see you go. Differing ideas and positions are what make these types of conversations most useful. I too wish you the very happiest of life experiences.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos