God is a monster

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: God is a monster

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:46 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:37 pm

You claim he’s engaging in a logical fallacy (which isn’t entirely accurate), but then you immediately drop a No True Scotsman. Why don’t you share with the board how one can ‘do religion’ correctly?

- Doc
On your own, of course. Religion comes from relig - io - a linking back, or a linking to, which is interpreted by many as a linking back to your real self, as the many Enoch texts indicate. It has nothing to do with a church or scripture at all. It has everything to do with your own discovery, not based on what others say, preach, experience, etc. Simply refuting others' ideas is a waste of time, let them have them, who cares? But it is within yourself you must turn to discover truth. All else is eyewash.
Sounds to me you’re suggesting as long as people live their life they’re doing religion correctly. Those who practice a religion like Mormonism or Islam are doing it wrong?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

That’s a cool clickbait thread title, broh.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:10 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:46 am

On your own, of course. Religion comes from relig - io - a linking back, or a linking to, which is interpreted by many as a linking back to your real self, as the many Enoch texts indicate. It has nothing to do with a church or scripture at all. It has everything to do with your own discovery, not based on what others say, preach, experience, etc. Simply refuting others' ideas is a waste of time, let them have them, who cares? But it is within yourself you must turn to discover truth. All else is eyewash.
Sounds to me you’re suggesting as long as people live their life they’re doing religion correctly. Those who practice a religion like Mormonism or Islam are doing it wrong?
Not if it works for them...
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:13 pm

Not if it works for them...
Since traditionally God's a big advocate, if murdering works for them that too is doing religion correctly?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

dastardly stem wrote:
Since traditionally God's a big advocate, if murdering works for them that too is doing religion correctly?
“Murder” is a religion now?

Damn.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Informant wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:56 am
dastardly stem wrote:
“Murder” is a religion now?

Damn.
I hope not. I'm trying to follow Philo's reasoning here. If religion is " linking back to your real self, as the many Enoch texts indicate. It has nothing to do with a church or scripture at all. It has everything to do with your own discovery, not based on what others say, preach, experience, etc" and is not much more than "if it works for them" then why is someone's desire then practice of murder anything other than religion as he defines it? I can't tell. He indicated some people who believe religion and go to Church and such aren't practicing it correctly. Religion doesn't seem to be much more than people living...decidning within themselves what they like and then do that. But it assumes God or something...
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:46 pm
Religion continues to exist by pointing to the dark spots, as far as we can imagine dark spaces to be and saying, "See....I told you so." What an empty methodology.

If God is hidden, and provokes us; if God continues to move deeper into the abyss to get away from us, then He sucks. If He's not there, then the whole idea of Him is a human conjured myth---a mythic monster--a magical something out there waiting to inflict pain on something.
This really is what fundamentalist religious people believe. I randomly stumbled on this video of the far-right commentator Ben Shapiro making that argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHkFUz6cXE

It's sad reading the comments from religious people on the clip who think it's a profound argument. In reality, he's basically saying that humans are to blame for suffering and cruelty, not God. And that God wants people to delude themselves in order to be rewarded eternally. He isn't asked the question of how we could know which god is the correct one.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:46 pm
Religion continues to exist by pointing to the dark spots, as far as we can imagine dark spaces to be and saying, "See....I told you so." What an empty methodology.

If God is hidden, and provokes us; if God continues to move deeper into the abyss to get away from us, then He sucks. If He's not there, then the whole idea of Him is a human conjured myth---a mythic monster--a magical something out there waiting to inflict pain on something.
This really is what fundamentalist religious people believe. I randomly stumbled on this video of the far-right commentator Ben Shapiro making that argument:

It's sad reading the comments from religious people on the clip who think it's a profound argument. In reality, he's basically saying that humans are to blame for suffering and cruelty, not God. And that God wants people to delude themselves in order to be rewarded eternally. He isn't asked the question of how we could know which god is the correct one.
Lol. He has all the answers for God. But if you stop and listen to him, God sounds like a monster to me. I don't get why so many think they know what God really wants and thinks. They seem to be front'n and not offering much more than that.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:14 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Lol. He has all the answers for God. But if you stop and listen to him, God sounds like a monster to me. I don't get why so many think they know what God really wants and thinks. They seem to be front'n and not offering much more than that.
Does KevinSim have a good answer for your point about "what God really wants and thinks"?

I have to confess that I've failed to keep track of any justification he has given. However, I have noted that he has not justified his ideas on a related concept where he seems to suggest that we should believe him when he says that his god speaks directly to him, and asserts that his god will also speak directly to any of us, if we just ask him.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

malkie wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Does KevinSim have a good answer for your point about "what God really wants and thinks"?

I have to confess that I've failed to keep track of any justification he has given. However, I have noted that he has not justified his ideas on a related concept where he seems to suggest that we should believe him when he says that his god speaks directly to him, and asserts that his god will also speak directly to any of us, if we just ask him.
I don't know that KevinSim has ever really answered a question I've put to him, nor has he really attempted to address any points I've tried to make in attempting a conversation with him. Eh...I might be a bit hyperbolic there. He may have. I just don't recall. I have to say it would be nice, though.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos