Joseph Smith - a symbol for World Peace?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Joseph Smith - a symbol for World Peace?

Post by IHAQ »

In what can only be a massive error of judgement, a bronze statue of Joseph Smith has been commissioned and installed within the World Peace Dome in India.
A 15-foot-high bronze statue of the Prophet Joseph Smith was unveiled on Tuesday, November 22, 2022, at the World Peace Dome in Pune, India. The statue of the founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints joins the statues of 54 other religious leaders, scientists and philosophers that adorn the 263-foot-high dome at the MIT World Peace University.
https://news-in.churchofjesuschrist.org ... peace-dome
King Husein, chairman and CEO of Span Construction & Engineering, said the Joseph Smith statue was patterned after the one that resides at the Joseph Smith Birthplace memorial in Vermont.
“I am grateful to God for the Prophet Joseph Smith, for his life of sacrifice and for his role in restoring the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Husein, who helped facilitate the placement of the Joseph Smith statue in the World Peace Dome. “Among many principles that Joseph Smith taught, he also advocated the rights of all human beings, the freedom to worship according to the dictates of their own conscience. … He also encouraged self-reliance and the need to follow the commandment of Jesus Christ to love our neighbor as ourselves.”
Joseph Smith advocated the rights of all human beings? Is this a spoof?
Elder Christofferson said that those visiting the dome should understand that the Church of Jesus Christ worships Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, not Joseph Smith.
Nope, the Church worships cash. Speaking of which, I wonder how much money changed hands to build this idolatrous bronze image of a man who stole other mens wives?
msnobody
First Presidency

Re: Joseph Smith - a symbol for World Peace?

Post by msnobody »

Interesting . As I understand it, India is in the top ten for the persecuted church.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news ... -list.html
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I love this! Very cool!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Anything in this world you can buy with money. -Yoda
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

I'll take a guess and say they probably didn't inscribe this Joe quote on the base of the great golden Joseph.

“Jesus said to Joseph that all the churches were wrong, and that their creeds were an abomination in his sight, that those professors were all corrupt."
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Ah it’s possible to worship more than one thing. Money, Jesus, Joseph smith. Self. Animals. It’s all game I figure
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Cool stuff! Love the statue!
Moksha wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:26 pm
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:08 pm
I love this! Very cool!
I kind of have to agree with this, given Hinduism. On the one hand, members of the Church can have their heritage preserved in the symbol that best represents their heritage, which is Joseph Smith. They are proud of Joseph Smith, and his birthday is coming up, and so this is an admirable inclusive gesture. Likewise, their symbol stays on an equal level to other faiths. He's one of 55 and counting. And don't forget that, Mormons.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:20 am
He's one of 55 and counting. And don't forget that, Mormons.
Joseph's statue would look very svelte alongside Ganesha.

Image Jesus Christ
Image Moses
Image St. Peter
Image Hippocrates
Image Max Planck
Image Maharishi Ved Vyas
Image Mahtma Ghandi
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace