Not Who But What

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Not Who But What

Post by Kishkumen »

Taken from another forum on this board, this quote encapsulates what I see as the fundamental misstep involved in Mopologetics and the mass exodus from the LDS Church:
“David Frum” wrote:The historian Bernard Lewis once offered sage advice to any group that faces adverse circumstances: “The question, ‘Who did this to us?’ has led only to neurotic fantasies and conspiracy theories. The other question—‘What did we do wrong?’—has led naturally to a second question, ‘How do we put it right?’ In that question … lies the best hope for the future.”
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Not Who But What

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That’s a beautiful sentiment.

And it’s an impossible ask of most people. :(

I wouldn’t have believed that when I was younger, but time and experience has demonstrated that introspection and a commitment to adjust behavior along the lines of the golden rule is essentially nil. What’s astonishing is the ability of extremist ideologies AND absolute idiot-tier people to dominate our collective consciousness.

The flip side of my cynicism is that on a small level humans have the ability to be kind and generous. And they often act that way. Hell, even our board’s raging white supremacist treats his children with love. He ostensibly sacrifices his time and sanity to ensure they’re loved and provided with opportunities. And that’s the duality of man, I suppose.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
JohnW
Valiant A

Re: Not Who But What

Post by JohnW »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:11 pm
Taken from another forum on this board, this quote encapsulates what I see as the fundamental misstep involved in Mopologetics and the mass exodus from the LDS Church:
“David Frum” wrote:The historian Bernard Lewis once offered sage advice to any group that faces adverse circumstances: “The question, ‘Who did this to us?’ has led only to neurotic fantasies and conspiracy theories. The other question—‘What did we do wrong?’—has led naturally to a second question, ‘How do we put it right?’ In that question … lies the best hope for the future.”
Agreed. Love the quote. We as humans too easily drop into an us vs. them mentality, especially when we feel threatened. I know I do this all the time.