Hello to Tim Griffy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Hello to Tim Griffy

Post by Kishkumen »

A veteran of online Mormon discussions! I see you there! Welcome!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
tagriffy
Deacon

Re: Hello to Tim Griffy

Post by tagriffy »

Thanks! I've been looking for a discussion to jump into, but haven't found anything that has appealed enough yet.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

tagriffy wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:37 pm
Thanks! I've been looking for a discussion to jump into, but haven't found anything that has appealed enough yet.
What kind of topic would pique your interest? I’m sure more than a few board members would be happy to accommodate you.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

One thing I'd like to discuss is how to write about Book of Mormon interpretation from an explicitly Smithian point of view. I broached the topic on the other board. While there has been some useful discussion, I still have many uncertainties about how to move forward.
Timothy A. Griffy

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'd say a great place to start would be the Reverend's own theory about the gold plates as an attraction. That conversation must have implications for how to interpret it from Smith's point of view.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Do you happen to have a link handy? If I know the Reverend well enough, our thoughts aren't too far apart.
Timothy A. Griffy

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What would be a “Smithian point of view”? That’s a term that can mean a lot of things.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:59 pm
What would be a “Smithian point of view”?
That you can walk on water with a few well-placed boards hidden under the surface.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Have you had a chance to read Don Bradley’s book, Tim?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:59 pm
What would be a “Smithian point of view”? That’s a term that can mean a lot of things.

- Doc
As I'm using it, it denotes that Joseph Smith was the human author of the Book of Mormon. A long time ago in a galaxy not so far away, the usual term was "environmentalist." But as the discussion on the other board established, that is now too confusing.

My working thesis is that Joseph was a mythmaker extraordinaire and the Book of Mormon is a modern myth.
Timothy A. Griffy