Hello to Tim Griffy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
tagriffy
Deacon

Re: Hello to Tim Griffy

Post by tagriffy »

Obviously great minds think alike! :D
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

tagriffy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Obviously great minds think alike! :D
My wife says "Great minds think alike and fools seldom disagree." When she does, I just stay very quiet. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Reading through the article to which Tim was responding would take more time than I can afford to devote to this particular rabbit hole, I'm afraid. But in general a "but for" argument isn't necessarily reversible. "The accused might have walked free, but for the smoking gun." That doesn't mean that absence of gunsmoke would have proved the guy innocent, only that the unsmoking murder weapon would have been just another bit of circumstantial evidence in a case that left reasonable doubt.

I don't see how failure to mention David can really be a smoking gun for the Book of Mormon. Big chunks of the Bible fail to mention David, for whatever reasons. American popular mythology has been all about George Washington in some eras, but Washington hasn't been mentioned much lately.

Having said that, I do find it a bit odd if the Nephites don't seem to think much about David. He was the original stripling warrior, no? He was also a famous king, and the father of another famous king. Inasmuch as canonised psalms were attributed to him, he was a scriptural author. There would seem to be many points in the Book of Mormon where a shout-out to David would have been fitting.

On the other hand, though, it may be at least as plausible that these transplanted Israelites liked to think of themselves as faithfully perpetuating all their old traditions, yet had actually lost touch with most of them. That stuff was long ago and far away, for them, in their strange new world. Suppose you could collar a typical Nephite on the street in Zarahemla, and ask him, "What about that David guy, huh?" Maybe the guy would just blink, the way a typical New Yorker might blink if you asked her about an English Protestant martyr who had been a household name in New York around 1700.
I was a teenager before it was cool.