Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

Post by doubtingthomas »

Informant wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:43 am

OH MY! THIS IS SOOO DEEP! WHERE DID UOU COME UP WITH THIS? ARE YOU THE BUDDHA?
He's someone who doesn't do drugs.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:04 am
Interpreter wrote:a fair amount of discussion has recently resulted. It was, therefore, felt that interested parties might benefit from this early version of the review being posted on the blog
Are we the circles/interested parties?
Given Dr. Peterson's wide literary background, it might be a reference to Dante's Inferno and one of the Church committees.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

In honor of Friday the 13th, the Interpreter Foundation has dropped a revised version of Dr. Bradshaw's review of Method Infinite.

Below I've identified the relatively minor changes to the review's disclaimer (boldface and strikethroughs signify changes to the blog post version):
By way of disclaimer, I should mention that I have recently written a book entitled Freemasonry and the Origins of Latter-Day day Saint Temple Ordinances, an expansion of a 2015 journal article I began to work on in the last half of 2021. After receiving a copy of Method Infinite earlier this year that was kindly provided by Loyd Ericson on behalf of Greg Kofford Books, I decided that in addition to writing a detailed review of Method Infinite, it would be relatively easy to turn my research on Freemasonry and the temple to into a book — expecting that I would be able to finish both the book and the review before beginning a lengthy period of travel beginning at the end of July. Wanting to make sure that I represented both the subject matter and the views of the authors of Method Infinite accurately and fairly, I contacted Cheryl Bruno and Nicholas S. Literski and let them know about both efforts. During the initial writing of the book, they kindly gave significant feedback on the chapters and provided helpful perspectives and answers to questions I had along the way. They also generously granted permission to publish quotations from their book and excerpts from their private communications with me. Earlier conversations with Joe Steve Swick III during the writing of the previous journal article had also been very helpful and supportive. I am grateful for the resultant friendly dialogue with these three scholars throughout the writing process—which, disappointingly, in the case of the review, lasted much longer than I had originally planned.

As will be seen in this lengthy review, Method Infinite addresses an impressive breadth of subjects, and in most cases I had to start my research and writing about these many topics from scratch. As the authors had done previously with the book, they graciously provided feedback on an early draft of this review and have also had an opportunity to read and correct errors in a near-final version of this review. However, they did not attempt to do a thorough reading of the review, and I accept full responsibility for any remaining errors. I appreciate not only the scholarship of these authors but also their examples of how dialogue on differences need not jeopardize mutual respect and collegiality. I am also grateful for the efforts of other unnamed friends who have contributed their perspectives to the present essay this review.
Why was "which, disappointingly, in the case of the review, lasted much longer than I had originally planned" removed in the revised version? Was that a misstatement?

More importantly, what does Dr. Bradshaw have to say about the allegations that he misused an advance reader copy of Method Infinite to write his own book? I presume that, at some point, Dr. Bradshaw will have something to say on the topic.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:33 am
I presume that, at some point, Dr. Bradshaw will have something to say on the topic.
I’ll take “ignore it and ad-hom method infinite’s authors” for 500, Alex.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:08 am
Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:33 am
I presume that, at some point, Dr. Bradshaw will have something to say on the topic.
I’ll take “ignore it and ad-hom method infinite’s authors” for 500, Alex.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Collegiality in response to serious dishonesty is a feather in the cap of the authors whom he treated so shamefully.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Just catching up on this. Wow.

This was like that part in Midsommar where Christian tells Josh that he, too, has decided to write his dissertation on the Hårga commune.

And if you're an academic, at the end of the movie you're like, "Oh, I'm so glad we get to watch this man burn alive, I love happy endings!"
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:25 am
Just catching up on this. Wow.

This was like that part in Midsommar where Christian tells Josh that he, too, has decided to write his dissertation on the Hårga commune.

And if you're an academic, at the end of the movie you're like, "Oh, I'm so glad we get to watch this man burn alive, I love happy endings!"
That was *quite* a scene!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow