Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

Post by Kishkumen »

Informant wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:05 am
Damn, Bradshaw. Just in time for the yearly “Mopologetics” awards. Textbook Oscar bait!
True! Doctor Scratch has a list. He’ll check it . . . .
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

So the bottom line is that Bradshaw gave no indication he was writing a competing book and that he would use quotes from their book, stated he only wanted sight to produce a review to come out as their book was published, and that he wouldn't let the review be DCP's usual style of ad hominem attack. In other words, Bradshaw behaved deceitfully in order to get his hands on an early copy of "Method Infinite" and write a competing book from which he, Bradshaw, would profit. He's basically a thief.

Has Bradshaw offered an apology? Has Interpreter? Has anyone from Interpreter condemned Bradshaws behaviour?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:59 am
the_narrator wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:40 pm
Bradshaw came by my office on March 25th to pick up the ARC. (He had been begging me for one so that he would have sufficient time to write the review, and he was the first person to receive one.) MHA was the first weekend in June, so that means he had the ARC for 2 months. His book was available a few days after Method Infinite in the second week of August, and Dan Peterson admitted that it was intentionally released the same week as MI.

His admission that he had not considered writing his own book came after I called him out for failing to disclose that he was working on his own book when he asked for the ARC.
I wish I could say that the assholish behavior of these guys didn’t get my goat, but it does. Apologetics seems to bring out the worst in people. Never would I consider doing something like this. Hell, I would be too embarrassed to behave in such a way. The lack of integrity shown in this entire scenario is absolutely stunning. And yet, we have seen similar capers from the apologists time and time again.

I mean, I can’t even imagine planning to time the release of a slapped-together book just to divert attention from what is, without a doubt, one of the more important works of Mormon history in recent memory. Everything about this looks crappy. LDS apologetics of this kind have been for so long the opposite of educational and informative. They consciously seek to stultify the entire conversation.
Well said, as usual Kish. I suppose a slight silver lining on it is it gives those of us with podcasts job security... while they stultify conversation, there are many of us opening it up. I actually thought the other day while at work, if I can believe anything I want in the church, but am not allowed to talk about it, then it makes perfect sense to make a venue where everyone who wishes to, can talk about it! That incentive will drive my podcasts for decades to come.

Your point about embarrassment is spot on. Perhaps in their minds, thinking they are defending the church they love with whatever means is available blocks them from seeing the unethical behaviors. They are literally the Jesus parable of the blind following the blind and both falling into the sewer.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 pm
Has Bradshaw offered an apology? Has Interpreter? Has anyone from Interpreter condemned Bradshaws behaviour?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

This is worse than I thought. It looks like Bradshaw essentially tricked Drs. Bruno & Literski into writing his book for him.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:44 pm
This is worse than I thought. It looks like Bradshaw essentially tricked Drs. Bruno & Literski into writing his book for him.
and Joe Steve Swick III?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

IHAQ wrote:
In other words, Bradshaw behaved deceitfully in order to get his hands on an early copy of "Method Infinite" and write a competing book from which he, Bradshaw, would profit. He's basically a thief.
With how the book was priced, I doubt there would be any profiting from it, nor do I think getting $$ was ever a consideration for his book. Bradshaw is independently wealthy. Whatever his/their reason for doing this, profiting from the book was not it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

the_narrator wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm
IHAQ wrote:
In other words, Bradshaw behaved deceitfully in order to get his hands on an early copy of "Method Infinite" and write a competing book from which he, Bradshaw, would profit. He's basically a thief.
With how the book was priced, I doubt there would be any profiting from it, nor do I think getting $$ was ever a consideration for his book. Bradshaw is independently wealthy. Whatever his/their reason for doing this, profiting from the book was not it.
I think it was just a variation of, “First!” Ego is a helluva a drug.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

the_narrator wrote:
IHAQ wrote:
In any case, he is an intellectual thief in his misuse on false pretenses of intellectual property.
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 pm
the_narrator wrote:

In any case, he is an intellectual thief in his misuse on false pretenses of intellectual property.
I have found a handful of places where it seems pretty clear that Bradshaw copied research from MI for his book--including one place where it is pretty clear that he copy and pasted a couple block quotes and the intermediate text.